Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

Since we have many informed and educated posters here, I'm curious to know if there are any possible negative health effects from spending 7-8 hours every night with my head about 1 foot away from these meters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Am I the only one who thinks sleeping near 13 smart meters might be a good thing? Maybe you will wake up every day with a few extra IQ points from them, being how they are smart and all.
Here's an interesting tidbit (my bold) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/ma...ef=health&_r=0
Quote:
This couldn’t possibly be a good idea. On Friday the 13th of September, in an old brick building on 13th Street in Boston’s Charlestown neighborhood, a pair of electrodes was attached to my forehead, one over my brain’s left prefrontal cortex, the other just above my right eye socket. I was about to undergo transcranial direct-current stimulation, or tDCS, an experimental technique for delivering extremely low dose electrical stimulation to the brain. Using less than 1 percent of the electrical energy necessary for electroconvulsive therapy, powered by an ordinary nine-volt battery, tDCS has been shown in hundreds of studies to enhance an astonishing, seemingly implausible variety of intellectual, emotional and movement-related brain functions. And its side effects appear limited to a mild tingling at the site of the electrode, sometimes a slight reddening of the skin, very rarely a headache and certainly no seizures or memory loss. Still, I felt more than a bit apprehensive as I prepared to find out if a little bit of juice could amp up my cognitive reserves and make me, in a word, smarter.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
Those wires create an electric field which (for sure) is inducing voltage in your body. You could measure how much voltage with a digital volt meter.

... You can get started learning about this by visiting earthing.com (no affiliation -- not a customer).
Quote:
Yes, the language they use pretty much targets the flower-pickers among us. Did you find & read any of the actual studies?
No, I'm not going to waste time at their site. Your first statement that I bolded indicates how ridiculous this is.

If you can show me that you can actually measure the voltage induced in your body from one (or 13) of those smart meters on the other side of a wall, I'll show a bit of interest. There's just no way that is going to be measurable w/o the most sophisticated and expensive equipment under carefully controlled conditions - if even then.

It is a super involved process to measure the Specific Absorbed Radiation of cell phones, which are held right up to the head. There is just no way to measure this stuff on the other side of a wall with a basic digital volt meter. They can't even measure the frequencies involved, just no way.

-ERD50

Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
No, I'm not going to waste time at their site. Your first statement that I bolded indicates how ridiculous this is.

If you can show me that you can actually measure the voltage induced in your body from one (or 13) of those smart meters on the other side of a wall, I'll show a bit of interest.
This doesn't have (much) to do about the radio frequency transmissions of the meters; however, I'm talking about the AC power. The presence of these alternating electric fields induces voltage in your body (a conductor). Measuring these induced voltages is as easy as:

1. Drive an electrically conductive stake in the ground (probably 6-8" is adequate).
2. Attach a long wire to the stake and the other end to one of the electrodes on your digital volt meter.
3. Turn on the meter and measure AC volts.
4. Hold the other electrode of the volt meter in your hand
5. Walk around. When you get close to power lines, whether overhead or in the walls of your house the voltage will rise. (Assuming you are wearing the normal insulating footwear that nearly everyone wears.)

Earthing has to do with grounding these stray induced voltages. If you have an oscilloscope, you can see the actual frequencies being generated within you (mostly harmonics of 60 hz).

I look forward to your analysis of the various studies...
Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
That site is a hilarious pile of pseudoscience. If 1% of it were true, a Nobel Prie awaits its owner. Of course walking barefoot along a beach feels good, but it ain't due to any "energy field". (Why does Every. Single. Thing. to do with Alt-Med have to involve an "energy field", when nobody involved can even say how this "energy field" is measured? Is it just because it sounds like something out of Star Trek?)
Energy fields and essential oils, the solution to everything that ails you (according to the massage therapist I had the misfortune to "enjoy" as a gift from DH--great massage, but she did not stop talking about these two things the whole time. I was ready to connect a smart meter to her head by the end of the hour).
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This doesn't have (much) to do about the radio frequency transmissions of the meters; however, I'm talking about the AC power. The presence of these alternating electric fields induces voltage in your body (a conductor). Measuring these induced voltages is as easy as:

1. Drive an electrically conductive stake in the ground (probably 6-8" is adequate).
2. Attach a long wire to the stake and the other end to one of the wire to one of the electrodes on your digital volt meter.
5. Walk around. When you get close to power lines, whether overhead or in the walls of your house the voltage will rise. (Assuming you are wearing the normal insulating footwear that nearly everyone wears.)

Earthing has to do with grounding these stray induced voltages. If you have an oscilloscope, you can see the actual frequencies being generated within you (mostly harmonics of 60 hz).

I look forward to your analysis of the various studies...
So you might be able to measure 60 cycle power this way. Most likely the meter leads are acting as antenna as much/more than your body. It takes some significant effort to perform a measurement like this with any accuracy, including shielded meter leads, and validation of your set up to null out parasitics from other sources. Just walking around and seeing a number on a meter means almost nothing. But non-technical people may be impressed.

So this has nothing to do with measurements of the signals from the smart meters, and since we are hit with 60 hz all day at very high power levels with no apparent ill effects, it's a real stretch to say that a few seconds or minutes of this < 1watt of power is an issue.

There is plenty of real science on this, pseudo-science sites are a waste of time.

-ERD50
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
...since we are hit with 60 hz all day at very high power levels with no apparent ill effects...
-ERD50
Sorry, you've gone full circle.

The science shows that being insulated from ground has effects. Are they ill effects? I think possibly yes. Others may want to find out for themselves.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry, you've gone full circle.

The science shows that being insulated from ground has effects. Are they ill effects? I think possibly yes. Others may want to find out for themselves.
What science shows this?

At any rate, there are things that are clearly harmful to us that we should all spend far more time doing something about, than to invest any time at all acting on some unknown, undefined threat with no real evidence that those actions would actually provide any result.

Aren't you afraid of being so near a computer?

-ERD50
Old 11-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What science shows this?
Aren't you afraid of being so near a computer?

-ERD50
Here is one of many: Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons

No; however, I somewhat fear false assumptions. They are blinding.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Here is one of many: Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons

No; however, I somewhat fear false assumptions. They are blinding.

From the linked article:

"Disclosure

G. Chevalier, S. T. Sinatra, and J. L. Oschman are independent contractors for Earthx L. Inc., the company sponsoring earthing research, and own a small percentage of shares in the company."
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Earthing

The solution is simple:

Be sure to walk around barefoot, preferably tromping through as many puddles as possible to ensure good ground contact.

To enhance the long term experiennce, consider wearing tin foil golf shoes with spikes to really improve earth contact.

excerpt from the OP's referenced "research" paper. Do note the bits I highlighted

"Reconnection with the Earth's electrons has been found to promote intriguing physiological changes and subjective reports of well-being. Earthing (or grounding) refers to the discovery of benefits—including better sleep and reduced pain—from walking barefoot outside or sitting, working, or sleeping indoors connected to conductive systems that transfer the Earth's electrons from the ground into the body. This paper reviews the earthing research and the potential of earthing as a simple and easily accessed global modality of significant clinical importance."

I thought it was from the Onion.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Earthing

The solution is simple:

Be sure to walk around barefoot, preferably tromping through as many puddles as possible to ensure good ground contact.
Stepping on the occasional thistle, honeybee, glass shard, or sharp rock will also enhance the experience...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Stepping on the occasional thistle, honeybee, glass shard, or sharp rock will also enhance the experience...
You forgot the fireants,chiggers, scorpions and other God given benefits to nature.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess you could add up the benefits of availing yourself of the ground/bond system in your home by hanging on to the faucets in the house as you brush the teeth and wash [assuming you have metallic water piping]. When cooking, keep one hand on the metal surface of the stove during the operation.

To top up the effect, get a static strap from JC whitney or other and hold onto the metal part of the gear selector lever as you drive. Lots of ways to do this without freezing your tail off going barefoot or buying some bespoke voodoo device.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
"Reconnection with the Earth's electrons has been found to promote intriguing physiological changes and subjective reports of well-being. Earthing (or grounding) refers to the discovery of benefits—including better sleep and reduced pain—from walking barefoot outside or sitting, working, or sleeping indoors connected to conductive systems that transfer the Earth's electrons from the ground into the body. This paper reviews the earthing research and the potential of earthing as a simple and easily accessed global modality of significant clinical importance."
Couldn't one just sleep in a hole in the ground for maximum effect?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Couldn't one just sleep in a hole in the ground for maximum effect?
Actually, some Native American Indians used this technique for healing.

(Could I be a better straight man?)

Hopefully, some of you wise guys will actually read the material, or maybe give it a try?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
I guess you could add up the benefits of availing yourself of the ground/bond system in your home by hanging on to the faucets in the house as you brush the teeth and wash [assuming you have metallic water piping]. ...
The grounding system on most homes would work, just make sure you know what you are doing when you mess with the outlet. As you point out, water systems are more hit and miss since many homes no longer use copper pipes.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

The only thing that would bring this topic any lower would be the usual New Age claims for using quantum crystals to connect yourself to earth. Of course they are "tuned" to the correct vibrational frequency for your individual body, so you can be assured they will work properly.

Call now; operators are standing by.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The only thing that would bring this topic any lower would be the usual New Age claims for using quantum crystals to connect yourself to earth. Of course they are "tuned" to the correct vibrational frequency for your individual body, so you can be assured they will work properly.

Call now; operators are standing by.
Holy Cow! you just inspired me to think of a crystal hat!! It could be sold by infomercial. And have a grounding wire.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Hopefully, some of you wise guys will actually read the material, or maybe give it a try?
You're welcome to it. I will spend my time in more productive ways. There are far bigger fish to fry.

-ERD50
Old 11-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
2. Attach a long wire to the stake and the other end to one of the electrodes on your digital volt meter.
5. Walk around. When you get close to power lines, whether overhead or in the walls of your house the voltage will rise.
The long wire acts as the secondary winding of a transformer. Your body with it's insulating footware acts as a capacitive load. The meter is measuring the voltage induced in the long wire by the sum of the various fluctuating magnetic fields it crosses. The 60 Hertz power distribution systems produce much of this from mildly unbalanced loads and less-than-perfect wiring design.

You will probably see 10-20 millivolts per meter pretty much anywhere in the world from 'noise' in the background terrestrial magnetic field (the thing that makes a compass point North). Lightning strikes at a distance of one mile can induce 35 volts per meter. Electric shavers produce a field good for 30-50 volts per meter at your skin. An electric blanket can produce a 50 to 250 volt per meter field.