Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

different kind of road rage - maybe mountain bike rage or dog rage? this happened about a mile from my house on Saturday

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...139552993.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
You missed the point entirely which was to delay driving into the intersection (after the light turned green) in case a car ran the red light from your left or right. Taking off the emergency brake and putting the vehicle into gear will take a 123 count.

I'm not worried about your time or fuel.
Do you routinely stop when coming to a green light to check for anyone who might be running that red light as well?
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Do you routinely stop when coming to a green light to check for anyone who might be running that red light as well?
DW used to do that - I called it "asymptotically approaching a green so you miss it" driving style
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #184
Administrator

Quote:
She clearly stated that she delays moving off after the light turns green, not that she slows and stops at green lights.

Not not after we had moved to Houston a story in the Houston Chronicle told of a woman in court who had gone through a red light and hit another motorist in the junction. Her defence was that the other person had "run a green light", meaning that as far she was aware cars always delayed moving off on green to allow the last ditch red light runners.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
She clearly stated that she delays moving off after the light turns green, not that she slows and stops at green lights.

Not not after we had moved to Houston a story in the Houston Chronicle told of a woman in court who had gone through a red light and hit another motorist in the junction. Her defence was that the other person had "run a green light", meaning that as far she was aware cars always delayed moving off on green to allow the last ditch red light runners.
Running a red light is running a red light is my point. There's no real difference between "not going" because you're scared someone might run a red light and "stopping" because you're scared someone might run a red light. Both are "not entering the intersection until you've checked that no one is running the red light". Both are also, coincidentally, likely to result in other drivers having increased levels of anger towards you...
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #186
Administrator

Quote:
Running a red light is running a red light is my point. There's no real difference between "not going" because you're scared someone might run a red light and "stopping" because you're scared someone might run a red light. Both are "not entering the intersection until you've checked that no one is running the red light". Both are also, coincidentally, likely to result in other drivers having increased levels of anger towards you...
I agree, I was simply pointing out that you were reading something into her post that she did not write or imply.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #187
gone traveling

Quote:
You missed the point entirely which was to delay driving into the intersection (after the light turned green) in case a car ran the red light from your left or right. Taking off the emergency brake and putting the vehicle into gear will take a 123 count.

Yes, it's clear you're not concerned about others' time & fuel usage. So considerate of you.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #188
gone traveling

Roundabouts reduce T-boning chances.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I agree. However most US drivers would need lessons on how to use them. There's one close to our grocery store. I have seen numerous drivers go left at the silly 4 way intersection.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I agree. However most US drivers would need lessons on how to use them. There's one close to our grocery store. I have seen numerous drivers go left at the silly 4 way intersection.
I learned how to drive roundabouts in England. I admit, we don't have that many roundabouts here.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #191
Administrator

Quote:
So does the extra traffic phase that the UK has. While waiting at a red light it does not go straight to green but first the amber goes on at the same time as the red, then it goes to green. I remember decades ago there being an advertising campaign, "Don't be an amber gambler", because on Red-Amber the lights in the other lanes have gone to red so going on amber is usually okay, but not always.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #192
Recycles dryer sheets

SMH
Lstansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:24 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstansbury View Post
SMH
The school kids are probably having a field day joking about this one (all except the ones humiliated by their parents). Gotta say, I am more sympathetic to the gun-toter based on what the article presents. The other woman came charging up to her window and she just stayed in her seat and pointed the gun sorta - "don't think about it."
Old 03-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #194

Quote:
You missed the point entirely which was to delay driving into the intersection (after the light turned green) in case a car ran the red light from your left or right...will take a 123 count.

Quote:
Yes, it's clear you're not concerned about others' time & fuel usage. So considerate of you.
Maybe some one can help me with this eighth grade math problem:

We have two people driving cars. We will call one driver Aunt tinlizzy and the other driver Uncle gerntz. They are not related.

Gas costs $2.80 a gallon. Uncle gerntz gets 22 miles per gallon, city driving. One day Uncle gerntz finds himself driving behind Aunt tinlizzy. Whenever Aunt tinlizzy is first in line at a red light, she waits three seconds before moving out. The average driver waits one second before moving out. On this day, Aunt tinlizzy is the first driver in line at 18 red lights. For some reason, Uncle gerntz is stuck behind Aunt tinlizzy and is the second driver at the same 18 red lights. How much more money has Aunt tinlizzy cost Uncle gertnz by waiting three seconds as opposed to one second?

For extra credit: how much additional time has Aunt tinlizzy cost Uncle gerntz on this drive?

You may make changes to the question to suit your needs in answering.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

someone pauses through a green on me I'm laying on my hellas

Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #196
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
someone pauses through a green on me I'm laying on my hellas

That one is unimpressive, but I like this one:
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Thought I was going to witness one today. Fellow was fueling his pickup and I pull behind him. I hear a guy just cussing the guy out, "you cut my wife off...." a couple of minutes worth and walked off.

I waited till the fellow got into his camper shell asked if he was getting his tire iron? He chuckled saying he never seen the vehicle who's passenger was so riled up.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #198
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Maybe some one can help me with this eighth grade math problem:

We have two people driving cars. We will call one driver Aunt tinlizzy and the other driver Uncle gerntz. They are not related.

Gas costs $2.80 a gallon. Uncle gerntz gets 22 miles per gallon, city driving. One day Uncle gerntz finds himself driving behind Aunt tinlizzy. Whenever Aunt tinlizzy is first in line at a red light, she waits three seconds before moving out. The average driver waits one second before moving out. On this day, Aunt tinlizzy is the first driver in line at 18 red lights. For some reason, Uncle gerntz is stuck behind Aunt tinlizzy and is the second driver at the same 18 red lights. How much more money has Aunt tinlizzy cost Uncle gertnz by waiting three seconds as opposed to one second?

For extra credit: how much additional time has Aunt tinlizzy cost Uncle gerntz on this drive?

You may make changes to the question to suit your needs in answering.
But it's not just me. It's the 10 people behind me also. And it's not one day. It's everyday she drives. And, any of us can still get hit by someone running the light whether we wait 1, 3 or 20 seconds. Net, all that's accomplished is wasting time & gas.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #199
Gone but not forgotten

I keep an "I'm Sorry" sign handy.

The other side reads: "Please send help".
Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
...Aunt tinlizzy is the first driver in line at 18 red lights. For some reason, Uncle gerntz is stuck behind Aunt tinlizzy and is the second driver at the same 18 red lights...
Seems me and Uncle Gerntz have a lot in common

My experience is that it's BECAUSE Aunt Tinlizzy is in no particular hurry to get through the lights that the next one is always turning red just as we get there.

There is a cost to all those extra minutes of idling at each light; time, productivity, fuel and wear and tear.

I know some retirees have a hard time with this concept, but some people really do have a good reason to get somewhere on time. It's kinda the whole reason we invented automobiles, and paved roads.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote