Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm not thinking of them - I'm thinking purely selfishly.... If I startle them they are more likely to swerve.... potentially impacting me or some other driver near them. I consider them to be jerks and dangerous - and give them large leeway to protect myself from them.

Does that make sense?

I'm not avoiding honking at them out of "niceness".

And yes - if they do swerve in front of me - I'll definitely lay on the horn (as I try to avoid being hit.)
I get it that it's self serving but there are more accidents for people not paying attention, whether we honk or not. My kid made an immediate stop because she saw something dangerous, she is a very careful and a very good driver, 10 cars behind her all hit each other. But her car was not hit. So it must mean that the first car behind her saw her stop but the 2nd car behind that one didn't and so didnt the rest. Inattention can be cited as a partial fault in a car accident. It's an essential part of driving.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

If a person exhibits road rage it's because they're a bad driver. Leaving yourself an out (following distance) and being aware of everything around you (defensive driving - checking your mirrors, making eye contact, honking horn, using signals) will keep you accident free and driving will be stress free.

Another driver will never be able do catch you off guard and make you mad if you are in charge of the situation.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #123

That doesn't make much sense tinlizzy. I am a very careful and courteous driver: never an accident or ticket in my life. But someone can come out of nowhere and suddenly driving is NOT stress free. Case in point: several weeks ago I made a left hand turn into a road with no traffic on it--35 mph speed limit. In the distance I could see another car about 3+ blocks away. As I turned he sped up doing at least 50, tailgated me, honked, gave the finger etc. I was truly shaken and quickly pulled over to let him pass. He gave the finger the whole way. proceeded to run the next red light and roared onto the highway. I'm still shaken from the incident. Was I 'in charge' here or a victim of an insane driver? It was a teenaged boy, looked strung out on drugs, hoodie, etc.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post

Another driver will never be able do catch you off guard and make you mad if you are in charge of the situation.
I drive as you suggest.

The three morons who couldn't stop and rear ended me when everyone else stopped made me mad. Perhaps it was the thought of cervical spine surgery or PT an cervical epidurals.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #125

I would be shaking too. I used to feel bad when I'm in my Honda Accord. Now I'm in my SUV, I can see better and I feel better protected. But it's hard to avoid these crazy drivers on a congested freeway like 405.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
That doesn't make much sense tinlizzy. I am a very careful and courteous driver: never an accident or ticket in my life. But someone can come out of nowhere and suddenly driving is NOT stress free. Case in point: several weeks ago I made a left hand turn into a road with no traffic on it--35 mph speed limit. In the distance I could see another car about 3+ blocks away. As I turned he sped up doing at least 50, tailgated me, honked, gave the finger etc. I was truly shaken and quickly pulled over to let him pass. He gave the finger the whole way. proceeded to run the next red light and roared onto the highway. I'm still shaken from the incident. Was I 'in charge' here or a victim of an insane driver? It was a teenaged boy, looked strung out on drugs, hoodie, etc.

That person had road rage and was a bad driver. You on the other hand did the right thing and pulled over. Had you seen him coming sooner, by checking your mirrors, you might have pulled to the side before he was on your tail and avoided the stress.

I've been a professional driver for 23 years and it's hard to hear that it's always your fault but I've learned that it is always your fault.

Ive driven close to a million miles and my only accident was sliding into a mailbox on ice and that was my fault. I've had thousands of near misses only because I was aware of what was happening around me.

It's difficult but taking responsibility for everything will make you an accident free driver.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I drive as you suggest.

The three morons who couldn't stop and rear ended me when everyone else stopped made me mad. Perhaps it was the thought of cervical spine surgery or PT an cervical epidurals.

Being rear ended is a slightly different scenario but the goal is to keep a car distance away from the driver ahead of you so that you do not then rear end the car in front of you. BTW - if you are the first car at a light you should set your emergency brake so you aren't pushed into an intersection. Again, you would not be charged with an accident if you do not hit the car in front of you.

Also, if the car is truly barreling at you while you are stopped and you have a space cushion and can see them coming then you could potentially move your car into the other lane or the shoulder.

Little changes in driving habits have a huge impact.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #128

I drove as they taught in drivers ed, leave a car space for every 10 mph, in case you need emergency breaking, the jerks on the freeway always honk at me because I was not fast enough. I think you can't win. I also had one minor accident in my 40 years plus off driving, does that mean I'm a better driver? No. I'm damn slow, like a grandma, but I know I can react at that speed.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #129

Sorry tinlizzie: completely disagree that such things like what happened to me was "my fault." That's crazy talk. Oh well-- I guess we are different people with very different views!!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Road Rage Self-Check?
Old 03-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #130

Road Rage Self-Check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Sorry tinlizzie: completely disagree that such things like what happened to me was "my fault." That's crazy talk. Oh well-- I guess we are different people with very different views!!

It is a strange mind set I agree, but it forces you to evaluate every situation for things that might occur which keeps you safe.

It's little conciliation that it wasn't your fault if you're seriously harmed or dead. The ultimate goal in driving is to park your car in the garage every night. Nothing else matters.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #131

And when I read all the comments on this thread about people being cut off I thought to myself that it's because you're a good driver and have a space that someone is able to cut you off. You just fall back again so you have another space.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirement Nerd View Post
I like to honk at people who do not use their turn signal indicator when I'm behind them. It's easy. You know, that lever right behind the left side of our steering wheel.

I strongly suspect they have no idea why you are honking and think you are suffering from road rage. Honking is typically reserved to indicate dangerous activity or to get someone's attention to what is happening on the road. Honking to indicate annoyance when nothing has changed outside the vehicle would be confusing.

Maybe reasoning like this is why I often cant figure out why people are honking (I walk nearly always...I'm talking about all honks I hear not just ones directed at me)
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
And when I read all the comments on this thread about people being cut off I thought to myself that it's because you're a good driver and have a space that someone is able to cut you off. You just fall back again so you have another space.
You know my husband often told me that. I prefer to drive with less stress. When he drives he can do what he wants.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
I strongly suspect they have no idea why you are honking and think you are suffering from road rage. Honking is typically reserved to indicate dangerous activity or to get someone's attention to what is happening on the road. Honking to indicate annoyance when nothing has changed outside the vehicle would be confusing.

Maybe reasoning like this is why I often cant figure out why people are honking (I walk nearly always...I'm talking about all honks I hear not just ones directed at me)
I do think people use honking a bit excessively for that reason. But in California, we have a lot of new comers to USA and some of them barely learn how to drive for going to places. They might not taught that as well. I'm aware of it because all the people around me are good drivers, especially the youngest kid. She often told me what I did wrong, I used to brush her comment aside, same treatment she often gave me on other stuff, until I was stopped by a police for one of the things she told me not to do. California roll. But not the sushi kind. Now I make sure I make the full stop at a stop sign.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had someone sit in the right lane at a traffic light and not make the turn when the light turned green. I honked. The guy got out, opened his jacket to show me a revolver stuck in his waistband. That one incident makes me think twice now.
Yes! Legal concealed carry in the Chicago area has cut down on the amount of road rage expression in recent years. When the 27 yr old construction worker, fresh from a stop at the tavern on his way home, thinks about jumping out of his car to intimidate the elderly man who unintentionally cut him off, he now needs to consider the fact that grandpa may be carrying and well trained at self-defense. We had a few well published incidents of this nature a decade or so ago and it seemed to have toned down the hot heads itching for an actual physical bout.

In the Chicago area, assuming your automobile gives you anonymity and safety, similar to being a bully on the Internet, can be a mistake. I don't honk at, flip off or cuss at anyone anymore. When a driver, offended that granny is driving along with her turn signal on, rolls down his window and screams "turn off your turn signal you ignorant old bitch," he might find himself with a third eye in the middle of his forehead.

It gives the hot heads a reason to pause and take a breath. It's a nicer world.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think the horn should be tied into the ABS because then you are under stress and others should be made aware. You can still honk separately.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
But yeah... I yell at other drivers, from the confines of my car with the windows rolled up.
OK, as long as they can't hear you, you're not flipping them off or visibly mouthing cuss words at them...... Otherwise, in my neck of the woods, you're really asking for an unpleasant confrontation. Expect people to react in an unreasonable way and know how you'll defend yourself.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
OK, as long as they can't hear you, you're not flipping them off or visibly mouthing cuss words at them...... Otherwise, in my neck of the woods, you're really asking for an unpleasant confrontation. Expect people to react in an unreasonable way and know how you'll defend yourself.
I posted much the same thing earlier in post 57 here, including a reference to Chicago. Once I was driving alone going home from DD's at 9-ish at night, and at Ogden and Madison east of the United Center the young driver in front of me leaped from his car and walked threateningly toward me til he noticed there actually was plenty of room between our cars (not as much as he was leaving in front of him, which I believe was his issue) and that I was not a young punk. I shrugged and raise my eyebrows at him. He jumped back in his SUV and turned left and I went straight to get on the expressway a few blocks away. I had not even been giving him scatological driving pointers within the confines of my little old Civic, so he wasn't picking up on that. But it was definitely scary.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
But it was definitely scary.
Yep! And while you were in an "interesting" neighborhood and did nothing to provoke the incident, it can happen anywhere.

I very seldom hear anyone boasting of how they flipped off or cussed at some offending driver anymore. It's considered dumb and a total lack of "street smarts." Your car offers you close to zero refuge or anonymity therefore don't piss off a stranger unless you're prepared for an unreasonable and scary response.

I think there was a Jim Croce song that discussed the concept....... The chorus advised folks: "You don't tug on Superman's cape/You don't spit into the wind/You don't pull the mask off that ol' Lone Ranger/And you don't mess around with Jim." I'd add, you don't flip off or cuss at a stranger assuming your fragile little car will offer anonymity and security if that blue-haired granny turns out to be a pistol-packin'-momma. Not in Chicago anyway.

I'm really glad the unprovoked incident you experienced ended without harm.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You mean you haven't been clipped/sweat-sprayed by aggressive runners who resent your being on their path, you slow-paced sluggard?

I sure have.
Hasn't happened so far. Worse I've suffered is near-death by licking from folks forcing their over-exuberant dogs on me ("go ahead and pet him. He won't bite" they say as I slowly back away and edge around them)