Join Early Retirement Today

Roberts--supreme court nominee
Old 07-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Roberts--supreme court nominee

Well Bush has nominated John Roberts, a 50 year old appellate court judge, to replace O'Connor.

Quite conservative but not red hot on social issues. Though he is married to a former VP of Feminists for life. Unless something untoward comes out in the hearings, odds are he will be confirmed. The question is by how wide a margin.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Roberts--supreme court nominee
Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Have they publicized his stance on any of the hot-button issues? Or I wonder will he keep his personal opinions out of his decisions and just apply the law.

Bookm
Bookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Frankly, I would prefer any justice not to have particular opinions on social issues that apply to his or her rulings. They are there to interpret the law, not lay down an agenda, whether left or right.

Centrists are very lonely these days...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Frankly, I would prefer any justice not to have particular opinions on social issues that apply to his or her rulings.* They are there to interpret the law, not lay down an agenda, whether left or right.
Agreed. They surely have opinions on issues, but the job requires them to remove those opinions when rendering a decision, and as you said, interpret the laws/codes/case law.

Bookm
Bookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Centrists are very lonely these days...
I think the problem is that in this climate of polarized politics we have no extreme centrists.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Have they publicized his stance on any of the hot-button issues?
The biggest issue seems to be abortion, on which he has made mixed comments. He said Roe v. Wade should be overturned when he represented the first President Bush in a court case, but more recently stated that Roe v. Wade was established law. It does not seem to be a settled issue, but the Senate will surely ask more questions on this topic:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/20/scotus.bush.ap/
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote