Join Early Retirement Today

Rocky and Bond are alive and well - implications for us?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rocky and Bond are alive and well - implications for us?

It is often said that the movies are more of a reflection of the current times and possibly an indication of where we are going. The latest Rocky and Bond films may be an indicative. First off I'll say that I liked them. I don't go to many movie theaters; I'd rather wait for all the hype to be over and then see the ones that survive on video.

The Rocky movies reflected the American desire and history. Routing for the underdog to win against amazingly high odds. Also, and an aspect to American history - take a beating in the beginning and then come back and win at the end.

In this movie the enemy is time and unfinished business within Rocky himself.
What is the parraell here? Is it the baby boomer generation bowing out? I'm not sure but, there will be a college course to explain it, I'm sure.

The James Bond films also reflected the times in which they were made and I think you can figure them out for yourself. The current movie returns to the original Bond films where Bond was meaner, leaner and the women were there for his entertainment. He isn't as full of himself as other actors, play his role in a minimilistic manner but with more debth than the most recent actors have demonstrated. What does it say about us? Like Rocky, Bond is fooled on several times but wins in the end though pain and hard work. Is it a parraell to the war on terrorism?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Rocky and Bond are alive and well - implications for us?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

What Rocky and James Bond says to me is that ER is not for everyone.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
What does it say about us? Like Rocky, Bond is fooled on several times but wins in the end though pain and hard work.
One of my dojang's instructors called me Rocky the other night during our sparring.

I'm not sure it was a compliment...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
One of my dojang's instructors called me Rocky the other night during our sparring.

I'm not sure it was a compliment...
Thrashed him good, did you??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Thrashed him good, did you??
I'm not sure that'll ever happen... those fourth-dan former national champions are pretty sneaky...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

What we really need is a revival of the old brown and white Johnny Mack Brown movies of the 50's.

Now, that'll make you feel really ancient!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote