Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Netflix allows two streams. If you go beyond that, then they display a message indicating there are too many active connections.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Netflix allows two streams. If you go beyond that, then they display a message indicating there are too many active connections.
Good to know. Thanks for that info.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Replying to earlier post: Acorn rotates their available series periodically. It is really worth the cost to me.
Agree. It is a good deal. I prefer British show to US shows much of the time. Signed up last night, and watched 2 episodes of one of my favorite shows, Doc Martin. Love that show.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter

Agree. It is a good deal. I prefer British show to US shows much of the time. Signed up last night, and watched 2 episodes of one of my favorite shows, Doc Martin. Love that show.
We love Doc Martin and have seen all the seasons. We are waiting on the 6th season to show someday.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
Audrey, we have the basic Netflix streaming service and had also heard that officially we could get only one stream at a time. However, DW and I tried two different Netflix programs on our two Blu-Ray players simultaneously and it worked well. So...may work out OK for you as well without upgrading to a more expensive Netflix option.
+1

We have 2 Roku boxes and use them at the same time.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #26

I just read that after Sept. 4th, Acorn TV is raising their price from $24.95. If you are thinking of signing up, now would be a good time to do it.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I just read that after Sept. 4th, Acorn TV is raising their price from $24.95. If you are thinking of signing up, now would be a good time to do it.
I went on Acorn TV site and they are running a special, 1 year of Acorn TV a $24.95 value plus the ROKU XD box for $79.95. You basically get the 1 year of Acorn TV for free. I want to try out ROKU anyway as we enjoy the British mysteries and programming so this is a no brainer. We will probably add the streaming Netflix as well.

Is there any free streaming video with the ROKU or do you have to figure out how to sign up for everything? Or is everything for a fee like Netflix?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Is there any free streaming video with the ROKU or do you have to figure out how to sign up for everything? Or is everything for a fee like Netflix?
No additional fees.

There are some free streaming sites, but sites like Netflix, Hulu+, Acorn etc require you to log in through your Roku. (only need to log in the first time).
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #29

I have found that most of the free steaming isn't that great, but the Acorn TV is "free" for a year after the initial fee. They rotate some really great series throughout the year.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #30

If you are an Amazon Prime member, then there are a lot of free movies/shows for members.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #31

I would like to drop Comcast Cable TV. The monthly fee is outrageous and I don't have any premium movie channels. I am thinking of an attic antenna and the ROKU with Acorn TV and Netflix could save a lot of money. Some of the channels I would really miss are HGTV, USA, History Channel, and a few others. Is there anyway to pick up these channels thru the ROKU?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm thinking about buying a Blu-Ray player when I get back from vacation. Not really for the extra definition but for the streaming capability which I understand is somewhat like what the Roku offers.

Here is the DVD I've been watching prices on: Amazon.com: Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black): Electronics
Hopefully the DVD interface is as easy to deal with as I understand the Roku is.
I jumped the gun and bought this Sony DVD because after we get back from vacation the state tax will be charged by Amazon. With HDMI cable this came to $115 total. I think Best Buy is offering about the same price now.

Wow, it really works on our flat screen TV to stream Amazon video, YouTube, and even Pandora. DW is excited as she loves Pandora. We'll still keep our Netflix DVD account for those oldies but goodies.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52
I would like to drop Comcast Cable TV. The monthly fee is outrageous and I don't have any premium movie channels. I am thinking of an attic antenna and the ROKU with Acorn TV and Netflix could save a lot of money. Some of the channels I would really miss are HGTV, USA, History Channel, and a few others. Is there anyway to pick up these channels thru the ROKU?
Some of those channels may have shows available free on their websites. History Channel does.