Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thanks for the info

Downloaded XBMC and it looks interesting. Learning curves aren't as fast as they used to be, so it'll take a while to learn, and to use the add ons. So far, it looks a lot like Plex...
Sounds as if Kodi release is not far off.

Without a smart TV, it looks as if some type of "box" is needed, unless using some type of VGA, SVideo, or HDMI cable to connect to the computer.

I've gotten attached to the Roku3 remote, and the speed of searches and connections.

Will look to see what content will be available.. I assume that Kodi will interface with the Nowhere TV, which looks to me to be the first practical streaming content to fill in the local channels, lost after cable cutting.
One needs to be semi tech savvy. But Google will show you everything you can do with XBMC.

Without a special box, you need to hook up your computer to TV.

There are well over 1000 3rd party XBMC "add-ons" you can download. This is the flexibility I was referring to. But for the most, myself included, Mashup add-on is all you need. The add-on has channels for movies, sports channels, live TV stations, ..... , all in one add-on. Then there are other mashup add-on wannabees like Navi-X. Pretty cool stuff. Be careful though. If you are tech curious, you may end up tinkering with it for days instead of watching content.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #42

Ok I am sold! But can I assume my kids can't "order" a pay channel without me knowing. Is the order process PW protected?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #43

If you are referring to my post on XBMC, it is completely free. It is open source stuff which means people developing XBMC are volunteers (mostly geeks with too much free time on their hand ). There is no official support - only forums you can ask questions, and requests for enhancements.

On the other hand, if you want to buy a box with XBMC already installed, it does comes with minimal support on the HW.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #44

CBSN is live on ROKU.

"CBSN will be available on CBSNews.com and its mobile website, key connected TV devices including Amazon Fire TV, Roku players and Roku TV™, and others, as well as the newly launched CBS News app for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 available through the Windows Store and Windows Phone Store. CBSN will also be available on the CBS News apps for Android and other leading platforms before the end of the year."

CBSN: About the live streaming video channel - CBS News

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote