Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Rookies in NFL Need Money Management Awareness
Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rookies in NFL Need Money Management Awareness

Interesting article in USA Today about how rookies aren't aware of the need for money management.

Money management a difficult lesson for NFL's rookie class - USATODAY.com

From the article:

According to a Sports Illustrated report published last year, 78% of NFL players will become bankrupt, divorced or unemployed within two years of retirement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
According to a Sports Illustrated report published last year, 78% of NFL players will become bankrupt, divorced or unemployed within two years of retirement.
Shouldn't 100% of people be unemployed after they retire. Isn't that the point?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Shouldn't 100% of people be unemployed after they retire. Isn't that the point?
Most people who retire from their first career-based occupation at 35 or 40 aren't retiring *completely* and permanently. As another example, I don't think most folks who join the military at 18 and retire at 38 are retired from all work for good. Not many folks would have their desired lifestyle met as a 40 year old with *nothing* else but their military pension.

Having said that, NFL players have a chance to save and invest a LOT more than the typical 20-and-out military person and if they invest prudently and don't live extravagantly, many of them could retire at 35 never needing to work again. But so many of them have trouble adapting to suddenly having a lot of money. This is often most true for those who grew up with very little. It doesn't sink in that it's still possible to spend even a $5 million annual salary way too fast to secure you for life.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Teaching money management sounds like a great idea, but ask yourself this question: who decides what will be taught?

Make financial education a requirement, and is it going to be Dave Ramsey and Vanguard index fund curriculum, or will Ameriprise, BoA, Fidelity, Merril Lynch, Prudential, Charles Schwab et al brag about their proven financial wisdom and design and dictate the curriculum?
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote