Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Major Proposed Changes

Above is a link to changes to Rules that USGA/R&A are considering. Their idea is to simplify and make the game faster. I think they are taking comments and getting feedback now, with their finalized version to go into effect in 2019.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Major Proposed Changes

Above is a link to changes to Rules that USGA/R&A are considering. Their idea is to simplify and make the game faster. I think they are taking comments and getting feedback now, with their finalized version to go into effect in 2019.
I hope they add something preventing viewers from calling in or emailing about possible violations and resulting in penalties the next day.
Popeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #23

The Reasonable Man's Rules Of Golf Photos - Golf Digest

I play a relaxed game. Every so often, I like to see if I can break 100 fully by the rules, but most of the time I just play for fun. If I ever get close to breaking 90 or 80 playing relaxed, I'd play by the rules and see if I can actually do it before I claim that level. Right now, I can break 100.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
The instructor said you are free to do whatever you want, but you're not really playing Golf.
No one ever accused me of playing golf so I am good to go with a liberal interpretation of the rule book when I am out by myself. I putt out but have no problem with gimmies for others. When I play with others I play by the rules pretty much.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
The Reasonable Man's Rules Of Golf Photos - Golf Digest

I play a relaxed game. Every so often, I like to see if I can break 100 fully by the rules, but most of the time I just play for fun. If I ever get close to breaking 90 or 80 playing relaxed, I'd play by the rules and see if I can actually do it before I claim that level. Right now, I can break 100.
Yes these are good.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Rules of Golf ?????
Old 04-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rules of Golf ?????

I play a lot of senior scramble get togethers sponsored by the golf course (a good money maker for the courses that do them here). Following the true rules of golf are impossible because most think they know the rules but really don't.
I like a man with a little honesty. A few weeks ago before teeing off he addressed the group and said..."Im just warning everyone ahead of time, I cheat when I play. That is the only way I play".
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have played with many who don't hit provisional balls when they may be OB. They just drop where they went out and take a stroke.

And I can't remember anyone who has gone back to the spot where they hit from after a lost ball, they just drop where they think the ball should be and take a stroke.

"A 'provisional ball' is a ball played under Rule 27-2 for a ball that may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds."
IIRC if you don't hit a provisional ball and your ball is lost or OB, by rule you are supposed to walk back to where you last hit from and hit again - I've never seen that in person.

I don't yet know how the league I am starting next week will handle OB or lost balls.

But the league has some actual language on gimmies. "When playing for least number of putts, in general (tap ins OK?) there are no gimmies. If you are putting for a birdie there are no gimmies. Any other time, anything 12 inches away or closer is a gimmie."

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

^ If I'm playing for score and think I've lost a ball, I'll hit a provisional. I'll even announce it as "a provisional according to rule 27-2" before hitting it, which is also a requirement of the rule.

If I can't find my ball after walking up to where it should be, if there's nobody behind me and my playing partners don't mind, I'll go back and rehit from the original spot.

But if there are people behind us or my playing partners object, I will drop around the area I thought it should be and stop keeping score at that point.

To each his own, but for me, scoring only makes sense in the context of a consistent set of rules over time and across players. That's why I am either both following the rules and scoring or neither following the rules nor scoring.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I'm confused. If you can't find your ball then you can play your provisional (which is lying 3 if it was a tee ball). If you find your ball you can play it.

Technically, if you find your ball and can't play it (because two club lengths in any direction no closer to the hole is insufficient relief, as is going back as far as you want from the ball in line with the pin) and declare it unplayable, then technically you are supposed to go back to the tee and hit again.... but as a practical accommodation outside of tournament play many people then just play their provisional.... close enough for non-tournament play and it keep play moving.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have played with many who don't hit provisional balls when they may be OB. They just drop where they went out and take a stroke.

And I can't remember anyone who has gone back to the spot where they hit from after a lost ball, they just drop where they think the ball should be and take a stroke.
You would probably get run off most golf courses if you walked back to the tee box every time you lost a ball or found out it went OB. The USGA requires that you use 'Equitable Stroke Control' for handicap purposes. Based on your handicap there is a maximum number of strokes you can take for any hole. In my case the highest score I can submit for any hole is a double bogey so if I lose a ball during a casual round I mark down a double bogey for that hole and move on.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Based on your handicap there is a maximum number of strokes you can take for any hole. In my case the highest score I can submit for any hole is a double bogey so if I lose a ball during a casual round I mark down a double bogey for that hole and move on.
It's all new to me (again), but the league I just joined has a max of double par, so 6, 8 or 10 are the max scores on any par 3, 4 or 5 for us.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm confused. If you can't find your ball then you can play your provisional (which is lying 3 if it was a tee ball). If you find your ball you can play it.
Yeah, I was unclear.

Most of the time, I hit my tee shot and it's pretty clear if I can find it or if it's almost certainly lost.

If I think I can find it and I can...yay, life goes on.

If I think I can't find it and I can't...I hit a provisional.

If I think I can't find it but I can...well, that's never happened.

Sometimes, though, I think I can find it - and therefore don't hit a provisional - but I can't - and therefore should have hit a provisional. It is this scenario that sometimes happens that results in me trudging backward to the tee box.

Remember, I've never broken 100. I'm not that good at golf. But my grandfather was a lawyer so I do like to read and try to follow laws.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
You would probably get run off most golf courses if you walked back to the tee box every time you lost a ball or found out it went OB. The USGA requires that you use 'Equitable Stroke Control' for handicap purposes. Based on your handicap there is a maximum number of strokes you can take for any hole. In my case the highest score I can submit for any hole is a double bogey so if I lose a ball during a casual round I mark down a double bogey for that hole and move on.
You're either a very good golfer or you are misinterpreting ESC... for most people it is a fixed number, not in relation to par. So if your ESC is 7 then it could be a 7 on a par 3 (quadruple-bogey) or a 7 on a par 4 (triple-bogey) or a 7 on a par 5 (double-bogey).

If your course handicap is 9 or lower then it would be double bogey.

Quote:
Course HandicapMaximum Number On Any Hole
9 or lessDouble Bogey
10 through 197
20 through 298
30 through 399
40 or more10

Old 04-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #34

One thing that my home golf course did last year was to swap out all of the white OB stakes with red lateral hazard stakes. It works kind of like the local 'desert rule' that some courses use. One of the proposed rule changes is to allow the more liberal use of the red lateral hazard stakes. I hope this becomes more common, I've always felt the penalty for hitting a ball OB was too penalizing.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Our course has done the same thing... I think more to speed play more than anything else.

But then they do something stupid... like weed whacking the tall grass within the lateral hazard... which just encourages people to look for balls which slows down play and also encourages them to try to play out of the hazard to avoid having to take a penalty.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You're either a very good golfer or you are misinterpreting ESC... for most people it is a fixed number, not in relation to par. So if your ESC is 7 then it could be a 7 on a par 3 (quadruple-bogey) or a 7 on a par 4 (triple-bogey) or a 7 on a par 5 (double-bogey).

If your course handicap is 9 or lower then it would be double bogey.
Yes, believe I stated the maximum number of strokes you can submit for a hole is dependent on your handicap, in my case it's a double bogey (HI 5.6).
Old 05-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #37

I play by the rules for the most part. If I hit a tee shot that is in play but I cant find the ball in the rough...I wont go back and tee up another. Golf is already slow enough.

Ill always play the ball down. The only time ill ever roll a ball around is if my club could be damaged if I hit the ball as is. Large root or stone too close to ball.

If you're always fluffing the ball up for the "perfect lie" you're not even playing golf imo. My FIL thinks different. He still thinks hes a single handicap golfer. Ive played with him 15 years now...I cant recall one single round where he didnt roll the ball around for every single shot. He even likes to foot wedge it from time to time and he still claims hes a single handicap. Dude couldnt break 85 playing real golf if his life depended on it.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I play by the rules for the most part. If I hit a tee shot that is in play but I cant find the ball in the rough...I wont go back and tee up another. Golf is already slow enough.

Ill always play the ball down. The only time ill ever roll a ball around is if my club could be damaged if I hit the ball as is. Large root or stone too close to ball.

If you're always fluffing the ball up for the "perfect lie" you're not even playing golf imo. My FIL thinks different. He still thinks hes a single handicap golfer. Ive played with him 15 years now...I cant recall one single round where he didnt roll the ball around for every single shot. He even likes to foot wedge it from time to time and he still claims hes a single handicap. Dude couldnt break 85 playing real golf if his life depended on it.
I've got a friend like that. Claims an index that is a couple of strokes better than mine, but I would be willing to play him even up for a LOT of money because there is no way that he could beat me. He remembers when he was scratch and his ego just can't take being any higher than about a 6.

He has joined a senior league this year, that may make him a little more honest. But it may not...
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I've got a friend like that. Claims an index that is a couple of strokes better than mine, but I would be willing to play him even up for a LOT of money because there is no way that he could beat me. He remembers when he was scratch and his ego just can't take being any higher than about a 6.

He has joined a senior league this year, that may make him a little more honest. But it may not...
Ha...yea sounds exactly like my FIL. He was once a scratch golfer...legit. He did get his card to teach...he had to take some exam and play 2 rounds breaking 75 or something both times...dont quote me. He's around 63 now and he has a hard time dealing with the fact he's getting old. Still thinks he should be a scratch golfer. He has an ego when it comes to golf because everyone always says how great he is (people he's known for 30+ years.)

Its funny...he's been a member to clubs all his life but not one single time did he ever play in a club championship! He knew he would butcher it up having to play the real rules of golf...and that people would hold him accountable.

Golf is a strange game when it comes to people and honesty. You can learn a lot about someone spending 5 hours on a course.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #40

Very true that you can learn a lot about people when you play golf with them. The reality with my friend is that he is probably still a solid mid-single digit player tee to green, but inside 50 yards he is hopeless. I haven't seen him take a 3 or 4 foot putt seriously in the 8 years I've known him. Once or twice a year everything will come together and he'll shoot a 73 or 74, but the rest of the time he would struggle to do better than 82 or so if he played by anything resembling the rules of golf. He really just likes to go out and walk the course and hit balls, but he feels obliged to keep score, sorta.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote