Run, unclemick! (unclemick checks in on page 8!!!)

Re: Run, unclemick!

Thanks guys.

Ha

It will be interesting to see if the 'Fish Camp' survived. - At least Unclemick did not have too much invested in his quarters.

I now know what he meant when he said "He'd rather rent".

Real Estate might be a great investment, but I'm glad I don't own any New Orleans properties.

Just got a tank of gas after a 45 minute wait. The little things we take for granted. I know one thing, I'm going to buy a generator after this thing settles down. I'm gonna be better prepared next time. Ivan last year, now Katrina.....makes you wonder if this is a cycle we are in or if global warming is having an impact. If it is global warming, this could be just the beginning. Heck, I might decide to retire further north. If I were Unclemick.......I know I would. 

Dog, do you have power back at your house yet? If not, what are you being told about how long it will be till you do?

REW

REWahoo! said:
Dog, do you have power back at your house yet? If not, what are you being told about how long it will be till you do?

REW
No power at my house, just at work. They say it could take  2-3 weeks to get all of it back up. I think the power company has 15% restored. Power trucks all the way from MA are here assisting.  They do have power restored near the interstate where we have lots of restaurants. I picked up some Captain D's fish last night so we will survive as long as the fast food doesn't clog my arteries first.  :-\   As I said before, I can't complain after seeing some of the footage I saw yesterday on the coast. 

DOG51 said:
... I know one thing, I'm going to buy a generator after this thing settles down. I'm gonna be better prepared next time....

To me (living in out in the sticks) a generator is a must have insurance item. We're at the tail end of our electric service provider's transmission lines, and have had a couple of extended (1-2 day) outages in the past 5 years. Considered getting a standby unit to run the entire house, but couldn't justify the cost. Bought a portable unit and it sits in the garage gathering dust 99.9% of the time, but it's great to have it when needed. It has probably already paid for itself by saving all the food in the refrigerator and freezer, plus allowing us to run a small a/c and not having to stay in a hotel until power is restored.

Be sure to get one large enough to run all your essential items at the same time. And give some thought to where you will locate it in an emergency to avoid carbon monoxide problems yet keep the generator out of the weather.

Good luck.

REW

I keep thinking about Uncle Mick and keep checking the board to see if he's posted something. I hope he and the ladies are far away from NO and enjoying a "small getaway" as he put it.

I would hope that when he gets to the internet, he checks in with us. But in case, he's busy catching up on the news....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9163689/

That was a good idea, Cal. I've been checking the board almost hourly hoping for news. I hope he looks under "Uncle" :-\

Cal said:
I keep thinking about Uncle Mick and keep checking the board to see if he's posted something. I hope he and the ladies are far away from NO and enjoying a "small getaway" as he put it.

Unclemick is a shrewd character and I am convinced that he and "the women" are just fine. But it has been almost a week since we've heard from him and I'm getting a little suspicious that he's up to something.

Is it possible that he got everyone safely vacationing in say, Dallas, and asked the ladies to mind the dog & cat while he looked for permanent quarters somewhere? And then he met up with the Norwegian Widow in a secret undisclosed location for a little putzing around?

Naaaahhhh....surely not. ;)

REW

REWahoo! said:
And then he met up with the Norwegian Widow in a secret undisclosed location for a little putzing around?

Naaaahhhh....surely not. ;)

REW

One only hopes that he didn't leave his 'noodly appendage' ta home :angel: in the mad dash for safety.

--Greg

Its awful! I'm in hurricane alley (NC). When the 'cane shifts toward the Gulf, you breathe a sigh of relief. The next breath is a prayer for those in the path. Can't wait to see that Garfield avatar and that Heh Heh Heh :'(

BUM

Here are some photos of Slidell and residents

http://search.csmonitor.com/slideshows/katrina05/slide1.html

A message from the mayor of Slidell:

Hurricane Katrina Update 9-1-05

To the Citizens of Slidell,

I am urging you not to return to the City of Slidell at this time. There was extensive flooding in the city, and the work crews, police, and utility companies are working around the clock to restore electricity, gas and water to our City. The presence of more people will only hinder their efforts.

Cleco has brought over 1,000 workers to the area, and they have already begun the tedious process of cutting trees that have fallen and/or been tangled up in power lines. Their crews are working throughout Slidell. They expect the city's power to be fully restored in 6 - 8 weeks.

City crews have begun cleaning the streets of debris and are working to restore water to the area. They are repairing many broken pipes in the process.

The City of Slidell has not had the widespread looting problem as seen in New Orleans and other areas. We have had isolated incidents and have arrested 8 people. I have a zero tolerance policy for looters and have instructed the police department to use deadly force if necessary.

Police Chief Freddy Drennan is receiving assistance from 15 police officers from other states to ensure the safety and security of our City. In addition, I have requested additional armed National Guard troops to protect the City of Slidell. We have issued a 9:00 p.m. curfew, but that is subject to change on my order.

Some schools did take on water, and we don't expect the schools to reopen until October 1, at a minimum.

Again, I am telling residents to please stay out of the area. The work crews, utility companies, and police officers are making significant progress to restore the city's water, gas, and electricity. If people begin to come back and traffic the streets, they will only slow down the process.

Stay safe where you are. There is no water, no electricity, no gas, no food. You cannot survive in Slidell as it is now. I know this is frustrating, but please give us the opportunity to fix this City. Your homes and property are secure. The Slidell Police and National Guard troops will make sure of that.

Finally, all non-essential City of Slidell personnel are now on administrative leave until called upon. As soon as it is safe to come home to Slidell, you are expected to report back to work.

Thank you and stay safe,
Mayor Ben Morris

Vincent McCormick, left, Tony Nata, center, and his wife, Edith Nata, navigate debris Wednesday strewn by Hurricane Katrina on U.S. 11 in Slidell after checking on their homes in the Eden Isles area.

http://slidell.weblogswork.com/?p=140

Ok, bear with me on this and it's a real reach...

unclemick2...mick2...there are 2 micks in McCormick...from 250 feet looks like a 62 year old guy? :)

"Meanwhile, a football-field length of debris litters Highway 11. The debris came from the miles of fishing camps and houses that once were located on that stretch of road.

Most of the camps are gone.

A house in that stretch owned by blues singer and guitarist Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown also is gone. ."

I just thought of something. Unclemick has forgotten his password before. He won't have the cookie auto-login wherever he goes, and he may not have access to his email so he may be unable to post even if he is safe, happy and on the internet.

By the way, his last visit here was on Saturday evening, and he said he was about to bring in the outdoor furniture and start "the usual drill".

Maybe he has his PM's coded to show up in his regular email account.

It's a reach, Dan, but a pretty good one. You must be studying that blog pretty closely!

DanTien said:
Ok, bear with me on this and it's a real reach...unclemick2...mick2...there are 2 micks in McCormick...from 250 feet looks like a 62 year old guy? 

BigMoneyJim said:
I just thought of something. Unclemick has forgotten his password before. He won't have the cookie auto-login wherever he goes, and he may not have access to his email so he may be unable to post even if he is safe, happy and on the internet.

By the way, his last visit here was on Saturday evening, and he said he was about to bring in the outdoor furniture and start "the usual drill".

BigMoneyJim:  I have no doubt that UncleMick, and the women, and the animals are long gone and in high dry land.  He got out of town before last hurricane hit shore, and Katrina was advertised as a Cat 5.  I just hope his "drill", for his sake included concentrating on the items that are irreplacable.  (Family photo's, etc.)

I (for 20 years), lived in an area that was under threat to uncontrolled brush fires.  Not much way to defense a brush fire pushed by 80 to 90 mile winds. In that period of time, we were "advised" to evacuate about 4 times".  We were under "mandatory" evacuation 3 times.

Our "drill" included a check list of the items myself, wife and kids felt were irreplacable.  (I could fit them all with no problem in the bed of my p/up.  

UncleMick, and his buddies in the Coffee Shop,
I'm reasonably sure, were of similar mind-sets.

Mother Nature can be a real "bitch" at times.

After things settle down a little, I'm sure we'll hear from UncleMick, and in his "short-hand" style will let us know how it went down.

BigMoneyJim said:

I've been worried ever since Katrina hit.  I doubt the "usual drill" was good enough
for this one. Like y'all, I keep watching for him to reappear.

BTW, I was gone for a week too.  Did anyone miss me?
Didn't think so.   :)

JG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom