Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Run, unclemick!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep thinking about Uncle Mick and keep checking the board to see if he's posted something. I hope he and the ladies are far away from NO and enjoying a "small getaway" as he put it.

I would hope that when he gets to the internet, he checks in with us. But in case, he's busy catching up on the news....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9163689/
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That was a good idea, Cal. I've been checking the board almost hourly hoping for news. I hope he looks under "Uncle"
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
I keep thinking about Uncle Mick and keep checking the board to see if he's posted something. I hope he and the ladies are far away from NO and enjoying a "small getaway" as he put it.
Unclemick is a shrewd character and I am convinced that he and "the women" are just fine. But it has been almost a week since we've heard from him and I'm getting a little suspicious that he's up to something.

Is it possible that he got everyone safely vacationing in say, Dallas, and asked the ladies to mind the dog & cat while he looked for permanent quarters somewhere? And then he met up with the Norwegian Widow in a secret undisclosed location for a little putzing around?

Naaaahhhh....surely not.

REW
Old 09-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
And then he met up with the Norwegian Widow in a secret undisclosed location for a little putzing around?

Naaaahhhh....surely not.

REW
One only hopes that he didn't leave his 'noodly appendage' ta home in the mad dash for safety.

--Greg
Old 09-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hope unclemick and his family are safe also!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #66

Its awful! I'm in hurricane alley (NC). When the 'cane shifts toward the Gulf, you breathe a sigh of relief. The next breath is a prayer for those in the path. Can't wait to see that Garfield avatar and that Heh Heh Heh

BUM
Old 09-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #67

Here are some photos of Slidell and residents

http://search.csmonitor.com/slidesho...05/slide1.html

A message from the mayor of Slidell:

Hurricane Katrina Update 9-1-05

To the Citizens of Slidell,

I am urging you not to return to the City of Slidell at this time. There was extensive flooding in the city, and the work crews, police, and utility companies are working around the clock to restore electricity, gas and water to our City. The presence of more people will only hinder their efforts.

Cleco has brought over 1,000 workers to the area, and they have already begun the tedious process of cutting trees that have fallen and/or been tangled up in power lines. Their crews are working throughout Slidell. They expect the city's power to be fully restored in 6 - 8 weeks.

City crews have begun cleaning the streets of debris and are working to restore water to the area. They are repairing many broken pipes in the process.

The City of Slidell has not had the widespread looting problem as seen in New Orleans and other areas. We have had isolated incidents and have arrested 8 people. I have a zero tolerance policy for looters and have instructed the police department to use deadly force if necessary.

Police Chief Freddy Drennan is receiving assistance from 15 police officers from other states to ensure the safety and security of our City. In addition, I have requested additional armed National Guard troops to protect the City of Slidell. We have issued a 9:00 p.m. curfew, but that is subject to change on my order.

Some schools did take on water, and we don't expect the schools to reopen until October 1, at a minimum.

Again, I am telling residents to please stay out of the area. The work crews, utility companies, and police officers are making significant progress to restore the city's water, gas, and electricity. If people begin to come back and traffic the streets, they will only slow down the process.

Stay safe where you are. There is no water, no electricity, no gas, no food. You cannot survive in Slidell as it is now. I know this is frustrating, but please give us the opportunity to fix this City. Your homes and property are secure. The Slidell Police and National Guard troops will make sure of that.

Finally, all non-essential City of Slidell personnel are now on administrative leave until called upon. As soon as it is safe to come home to Slidell, you are expected to report back to work.

Thank you and stay safe,
Mayor Ben Morris

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #68

Slidell Hurricane Damage Blog

http://slidell.weblogswork.com/
Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #69

Vincent McCormick, left, Tony Nata, center, and his wife, Edith Nata, navigate debris Wednesday strewn by Hurricane Katrina on U.S. 11 in Slidell after checking on their homes in the Eden Isles area.

http://slidell.weblogswork.com/?p=140

Ok, bear with me on this and it's a real reach...

unclemick2...mick2...there are 2 micks in McCormick...from 250 feet looks like a 62 year old guy?

"Meanwhile, a football-field length of debris litters Highway 11. The debris came from the miles of fishing camps and houses that once were located on that stretch of road.

Most of the camps are gone.

A house in that stretch owned by blues singer and guitarist Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown also is gone. ."
Old 09-03-2005, 02:34 AM   #70

I just thought of something. Unclemick has forgotten his password before. He won't have the cookie auto-login wherever he goes, and he may not have access to his email so he may be unable to post even if he is safe, happy and on the internet.

By the way, his last visit here was on Saturday evening, and he said he was about to bring in the outdoor furniture and start "the usual drill".
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:41 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe he has his PM's coded to show up in his regular email account.
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:51 AM   #72

It's a reach, Dan, but a pretty good one. You must be studying that blog pretty closely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Ok, bear with me on this and it's a real reach...unclemick2...mick2...there are 2 micks in McCormick...from 250 feet looks like a 62 year old guy?*
Old 09-03-2005, 07:25 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I just thought of something. Unclemick has forgotten his password before. He won't have the cookie auto-login wherever he goes, and he may not have access to his email so he may be unable to post even if he is safe, happy and on the internet.

By the way, his last visit here was on Saturday evening, and he said he was about to bring in the outdoor furniture and start "the usual drill".
BigMoneyJim: *I have no doubt that UncleMick, and the women, and the animals are long gone and in high dry land. *He got out of town before last hurricane hit shore, and Katrina was advertised as a Cat 5. *I just hope his "drill", for his sake included concentrating on the items that are irreplacable. *(Family photo's, etc.)

I (for 20 years), lived in an area that was under threat to uncontrolled brush fires. *Not much way to defense a brush fire pushed by 80 to 90 mile winds. In that period of time, we were "advised" to evacuate about 4 times". *We were under "mandatory" evacuation 3 times.

Our "drill" included a check list of the items myself, wife and kids felt were irreplacable. *(I could fit them all with no problem in the bed of my p/up. *

UncleMick, and his buddies in the Coffee Shop,
I'm reasonably sure, were of similar mind-sets.

Mother Nature can be a real "bitch" at times.

After things settle down a little, I'm sure we'll hear from UncleMick, and in his "short-hand" style will let us know how it went down.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:28 AM   #74

Quote:

I've been worried ever since Katrina hit. *I doubt the "usual drill" was good enough
for this one. Like y'all, I keep watching for him to reappear.

BTW, I was gone for a week too. *Did anyone miss me?
Didn't think so. *

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U

BTW, I was gone for a week too. Did anyone miss me?

JG
Nobody but Katrina...

REW
Old 09-03-2005, 08:11 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nobody but Katrina...

REW

DH leaning over DW's shoulder:

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #77

Quote:
Nobody but Katrina...

REW
REWahoo: Stop it! Damn near had an accident on that one.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #78

Hey Uncamick,

I am encouraged by the people who think you packed up and headed out, but I am also worried about you.

Hope you and your family made it out safely.

Hope to see your font soon !!!

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #79

Quote:

Posted a message to a UncleMick2 last night on the Slidell Hurricane Damage blog:

UncleMick2

September 2nd, 2005 11:21:46pm

Unclemick2 - Everyone at Early Retire Forum hopes you and your family are safe and sound. Let us know here or at the ERF your status. Best Regards. The ERF gang.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
It's a reach, Dan, but a pretty good one. You must be studying that blog pretty closely!
tozz - did I ever mention my heros are Sam Spade and Guy Noir?