Join Early Retirement Today

Runner's Camel-Bak
Old 08-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Runner's Camel-Bak

Can anyone recommend a light camelback that will stay put against my back? I've been trail running and I get thirsty. I started out with a water bottle in a small pack, but it flies around too much.

Any suggestions?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Runner's Camel-Bak
Old 08-15-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use a Jansport camel-bak that is about 2 or 3 years old. It's the only one I've ever owned so I can't compare it to others, but I like it. At first it was a pain in the rear to fill, but you eventually learn techniques that work.

They are a convenient way to carry water but cause you to sweat where the water rests on your back.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Can anyone recommend a light camelback that will stay put against my back? I've been trail running and I get thirsty. I started out with a water bottle in a small pack, but it flies around too much.
Not sure if you are looking for a specific Camelback model, but check out the CamelBack Unbottle if you already have a small daypack that you like. It's a reservoir with a stiff cover over it. If you really want to be light and you don't go on really long runs, Camelback makes a fannypack, called the FlashFlo, with a small reservoir (just over 1L).
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The camelbacks I have had all cinch around the bag itself in addition to the belt being tightened. This allows you to snug it up and not slosh around, even as you empty the bag through drinking.

My biggest gripe is that they're a pain to clean. Maybe the newer ones are easier in that regard. For short runs, I stick with a sports bottle with a waist carrier.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #5

Don't know about for running but I like my Camelback when kayaking. I assume there is some way to tighten it or add other cloth padding to get your desired fit.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Wow, how far/long do you run? I tend to get thirstly while running, but that's one of the things I look forward to when I get home........ a big glass of COLD water. Ahhhhh.

I suppose that if I went longer, I would want a water bottle or something... if you find something that works for running, post a review
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Wow, how far/long do you run? I tend to get thirstly while running, but that's one of the things I look forward to when I get home........ a big glass of COLD water. Ahhhhh.
I run 30-45 minutes, but pretty slowly nowadays. In Tucson summers, I'd prehydrate with about 12-20 oz; then I'd run and go through the 40 or so ounces in my camelback on a hot day (my limit was 100 degrees, wouldn't go if hotter, and preferabley after dusk). I'd get home, have another glass, and often still not have to pee. In those temps I'd sometimes use a diluted sports drink instead of water. A Camelback was about the only way to do this, and it worked great - small amts frequently, could pack ice cubes in the water, stayed nice and snug to my back.

Here, my limit for running is 90 degrees given the higher humidity, but I just don't seem to dehydrate that much so will often just drink before and after.

I use a heart rate thingy for extra reassurance in the heat, and will ease into a walk for 2 minutes or so if my range is exceeded for more than a minute or so.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I thought this thread was about runner's camel toes...

Nevermind...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Hmmm, I thought this thread was about runner's camel toes...

Nevermind...
LOL! Last weekend my wife asked me if I liked a new pair of biege pants she had bought.

I told the pants were OK, but the camel toe was exquisite. It took a half hour of apologies to get her to talk to me again.

And here I thought a camel toe was a good thing.**

Ha
Old 08-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Holy cow, I don't run if it's over 85... so I usually end up running at around 9 or so at night.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Holy cow, I don't run if it's over 85... so I usually end up running at around 9 or so at night.
Takes a couple of weeks to heat-adapt. Never could have done it when I was a Wisconsinite, but after a couple weeks in the Tucson summer, I'm OK with it.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:47 PM   #12

I have a Camelbak (brand) Mule and a Camelbak HAUG (Holds a Lot of Water and Gear).

I suggest the Mule for trail runs. It will hold a 70 oz or 100 oz bladder. It has a small regular zipped pocket and a mesh pocket. The regular pocket is large enough for wallet, keys and a couple of energy bars.

I have a cheap fanny pack that holds two water bottles and the Mule is much better for running. I haven't tryed the more expensive fanny pack type hydration systems. As you probably know "bounce" is one problem with hydration systems and I think that the Mule is pretty good as far as that goes.

The HAUG is much larger. About 1000 in3 of storage in addition to the bladder. It is appropriate for things like running across the Grand Canyon and the like. I have used it for Adventure Races where they make you carry a lot of safety stuff and other crap.

The July issue of Trail Runner magazine reviewed 7 hydration packs so you might want to try to find a copy. (I just threw it away without reading the article. I already have what I need.)

The Mule has always reviewed well in the other articles that I have seen.

You also might want to look at the belt type systems that hold 2 to 6 small bottles. That way you can have a couple with water, one sports drink, one with Gu, beer, what ever.

Regarding cleaning and drying the bladder. First wash out sports drinks and dry it as soon as you get home. Otherwise you will have a "biology experiment." If that happens I use a dilute bleach solution to clean it out. Camelbak sells a hanger that holds the bladder open while it drys otherwise the two sides of the bladder tends to stick together and it never dries.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to get a look at that article. Bounce is a hassle, esp when you are concentrating on avoiding roots and rocks on a downhill pitch.

Ha
Old 08-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #14

For those who like a water bottle, Camelbak has a new water bottle.

http://tinyurl.com/ml856
KB is offline   Reply With Quote