Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Any of you ever have that desire? ...
I have had the desire in that I think i could do a good job and make positive contributions and I'm pretty good at forging compromise where parties are content with the way forward. OTOH I am probably too candid and call things as I see them and it would be just a matter of time before my candor would cause some sort of ruckus. Besides, I would not want the intrusions on my time that elected office would bring.

I did spend a week in DC as part of my grad school studying business and government and got to meet a number of congressmen and senators, including a congressman from Wyoming named Dick Cheney. Actually, a pretty impressive guy. While I'm not a fan of our Congress, i will give them credit that they work quite hard - they are usually hard from early morning to late evening - and while the pay isn't all that attractive, the status and perks are pretty good.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I live in a very small town. I was asked to run for auditor, a 6 year one else would run. They made it sound easy; once a year audit the books. There's a head auditor with many years experience, another auditor with 3 years experience and me. First year I get a call to audit and when I get to the head auditor's house he has everything done and just wants me and the other auditor to sign on the dotted line. I refuse. They see nothing wrong with what they are doing......have been passing on this method for years. I still refuse and "we" sort of audit the books that year with the understanding that we will be taught how to do a proper audit. Second year the head auditor dies and the other auditor resigns because she doesn't know how to audit the books. Had to go before the town council to explain that there hadn't been a proper audit done in years and they would have to find someone with an accounting background. I also had to tell them that certain departments had already told me that I wasn't looking at their books because I was just trying to snoop. The council found people to run for the two open offices that had accounting/bookkeeping experience. I stuck it out for the rest of my term but will never get talked into running again. Out of all of the elected positions, the mayor and the auditors are the only paid positions, $100 a year. I donated mine to the fire department.

splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
In a primary it's almost impossible to unseat the incumbent even if they have been indicted. Open seats are usually the most interesting races and Texas has a brutal primary season for these positions. Runoffs are very common. Making it even more confusing is that people can't have one elected office and run for another one. That means we have special elections for state reps or state senators that resign to run for a higher office. These special elections are not held when the original primary is held so the ultimate candidate selected by the parties are put in the general election or elected outright by a very small fraction of the voters. The repub state senator was for my district was picked by about 5% of the electorate. There was no dem candidate so no general election is needed. In most areas, being the "red" or "blue" candidate usually trumps anything else.

Here in Texas it's been years since a dem has been elected to a state-wide office. Most state rep and senate districts are effectively "owned" by one party or the other. The "opponents" for these seats are almost always token candidates and generally aren't serious candidates.
Other than this I have liked Texas.
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #24
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Hopefully this thread won't devolve into political rants about one party or the other (please please please refrain..please!)
Just a reminder ...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The closest I ever came to politics was being on the board three years and president one year of a radio control model airplane club with about 200-250 members year to year. That's when I found out that 90% of the work is done by 10% of the members, and usually the same 10%.
Similar experience with a regional marque specific car club as a board member, and I'd give it about the same ratio of work to members involved. My club duties, while sometimes taxing have been a way to put work hassles on the back shelf, not sure what it will be like next month after ER. Socializing aspect is a valuable part of it I guess, and being in the loop about something bigger than myself. Political office - I've thought about it at times, but only very, very briefly as I don't see the effort expended being appreciated nearly for what its worth. I know I sure don't appreciate the effort some politi.... Ok I'll stop now
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

I did meet a lot of interesting people, including the Governor. It also taught me that anyone can be the president of the USA, including someone with a non-rich background. Sure, it takes a bit, but you are not disqualified by where you are from. After I moved, I was asked to run in that districts race, but declined.

So, it is a lot of work, and I suspect the rewards would have beet great too. I really do not have any plans to do it again.
I saw your name and thought--wow a Senator I think it would be interesting but interesting relative to the amount of work it wouldn't be a draw for me. I value my 'own' time too much I suppose.

In college I was really involved in the student portion of the American Institute for Architects and it was interesting, got to meet a few cool folks but it seemed like way too much work looking back on it. I gather you can tell that no one has ever accused me of being a workaholic!
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #27
Besides not being able to pass the background check I think I would find public office to be an incredibly frustrating experience.

FIRE'D in July 2009 at 51...Never look back!
RockyMtn is online now   Reply With Quote