Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Rutgers team speaks out on Imus remarks
Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I surprised this has not been said. So, if you are for firing Imus for the stupid things he said, and apologized for, are you for firing Rosy for the stupid things she said and did not apologize for. I donít watch either, so I could care less.

I vote that it will depend on the ratings! Follow the Money!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

It is all about the money. MSNBC has a double standard. Michael Savidge was fired immediately from MSNBC a couple of years ago when we made an anti-gay remark. Imus will be back just in time for the ratings sweeps of May.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
I know that Imus has had personal relationships with Tim Russert and Brian because he has talked about it openly. They are often guests at his ranch.
Humm. Why don't they just come out of the closet and be up front about it? This is the 21st century.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

IMHO Imus and his ilk should be off the air as a result of the abandonment of advertisers. I will not be a customer of any who advertise during (or at either end) of several radio shows. If everyone who was annoyed/disgusted shared that position with advertisers those jerks would need to ask for donations from their listeners to stay on the air.

Follow the money.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23
are you for firing Rosy for the stupid things she said and did not apologize for. I donít watch either, so I could care less.

Yes, I'm for firing her too. BTW, I don't watch her either.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23
I surprised this has not been said. So, if you are for firing Imus for the stupid things he said, and apologized for, are you for firing Rosy for the stupid things she said and did not apologize for. I donít watch either, so I could care less.

I vote that it will depend on the ratings! Follow the Money!
I don't think he needs to be fired. Free speech and all. Id rather see the viewers dictate what happens by turning him off or keep on watching.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Imus has spoken before about his previous substance abuse problems. So, he's got a "get out of jail free" card for this remark--he just has to say that he was back on the sauce and check into rehab. Rehab's the ticket these days, doncha know!! Limbaugh, Brittany, congressmen, senators. Individual responsibility is so 1950's!

If he doesn't take ths way out, I'll think more of him.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #28

Tonight on Glenn Beck (also not my fav but entertaining on some levels) Al Sharpton was a guest. He did not have a whole lot to say about the lyrics that Beck read from songs/recordings of the current hip-hop/rappers. They are exceedingly rude and crude to put it politely. Sharpton says the FCC needs to work on that but Imus needs to be fired and removed from the airways. Looks like the knife only cuts one way by Al. What great role models the entertainment industry is... And yes, I do remember the drugs, sex & rock &roll era, but I do not recall the filth from the mouth that is currently being produced.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My follow the money theory works for the foul mouthed rappers too.

I don't give a twit about their race, sex or politics. I am fed up and I hope may other listeners are too. Cut them off at their pocket books!! Don't patronize their advertisers.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Imus is not even original. I saw a late-night infomercial for the Mophead Hose.

For those messes that require a lot of mopping up...
Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I had never seen or heard Imus before this incident was aired on the news. I knew the name, and knew he was a 'shock jock', I never had any interest to know more.

To me, it's not about whether he should be fired or not, or whether sponsors will pull their advertising or not. My question is, why would any sponsor want to be associated with someone like this in the first place. I know, I know, chase the money. But, when you know someone's 'job' is to insult people - wouldn't advertisers of mass market products just want to stay away?

I just don't get why AMEX or Sprint would think that is a good place to advertise.

This AM, on GMA, Larry Elder was interviewed on the subject. He didn't understand why Al Sharpton wasn't also going after all the hip-hop and rap performers that have lyrics that are more offensive than what Imus said.

-ERD50

Old 04-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #32

I heard that Imus' wife "took over" his show---not sure if it was for one day or permanent.
She's an author who is into the environment; supposedly her book tour had to be cancelled due to this controversy. But c'mon---she's the only one who could possibly take over for him? Why not give a Rutgers University broadcasting major student a shot at this? Anyone but another Imus. Why keep it all in the family? It's seems like a very mild slap on the wrist to Imus if his wife covers for him and the money still keeps coming in....
Old 04-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster
I heard that Imus' wife "took over" his show---not sure if it was for one day or permanent.
She's an author who is into the environment; supposedly her book tour had to be cancelled due to this controversy. But c'mon---she's the only one who could possibly take over for him? Why not give a Rutgers University broadcasting major student a shot at this? Anyone but another Imus. Why keep it all in the family? It's seems like a very mild slap on the wrist to Imus if his wife covers for him and the money still keeps coming in....
Dont forget to bring your pitchforks and torches :
Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I think we have seen the end of the "shock jock". I heard Mike Francessa will be taking over the show.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
I think we have seen the end of the "shock jock". I heard Mike Francessa will be taking over the show.
Doubt it. People enjoy listening to this type of stuff otherwise he would have never been in business for that long. People listen to comedians who spew racial and sexist remarks.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
........Al Sharpton was a guest. He did not have a whole lot to say about the lyrics that Beck read from songs/recordings of the current hip-hop/rappers. They are exceedingly rude and crude to put it politely. Sharpton says the FCC needs to work on that but Imus needs to be fired and removed from the airways. Looks like the knife only cuts one way by Al.
begin rant/

*** THE FOLLOWING IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE ON THIS FORUM....Directly NOR Indirectly!!!! ***

I just wish the FCC could ban the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, they are a PITA! Either we have freedom of speech, or we don't have freedom of speech, but the LAST ones that will determine that for me, are those two! Anyone can say whatever they want about me and/or my race/ethnicity, and I could give a rat's *ss less! For crying out loud, WE ARE AMERICANS!!! The whole freakin' world hates us and says nasty things about us!! Do we care?? H*LL NO!!! Why?? Because we know we're not all that bad!!! But let one of our own say something....and then we get pissed off, and want to terminate him (or her)!

Get over it America! This is the land of the FREE! If ya don't like what somebody says....don't listen to 'em! Turn them off! If someone says (or does) something stupid, so what? Unless you're God (or some other "higher" being), you've said or done something stupid AT LEAST once in your life! (well excluding me though!) :

And why would ANYONE listen to either Sharpton OR Jackson?? If there were ever any people that irritate the h*ll out of me, it would have to be those two....and George Dubya....and Suze Orman.... and my sister....and.... and....and....

If they took ALL of the stupid people off the airways, we'd have about a dozen channels (or LESS) to choose from, and only about 4 or 5 hours of programming a day!! HEY!!! Wait a minute!!! Now THERE'S an idea!!!

end rant/

Oh yeah....Imus! That was the topic, right? I don't watch him...never have. What I saw of him on the news, all I can say is that he looks weird! Uh-oh! I did it now! I said an old white guy looks weird! SH*T!!! Now AARP will be protesting out in front of my house, wanting to ban me from my computer!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Im all for free speech. And he got his free speech. Now he is reaping what he said. Just because you have free speech don't expect anyone to like what the hell you are saying and their wont be some kind of backlash.
Absolutely. Unless I missed Sharpton calling for him to be jailed, this has nothing to do with free speech. There's no First Amendment right to keep people from thinking you're a sad, washed up a**hole, there's no right to advertisers, and there's no right to a broadcast audience.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #38

Most people won't miss Imus. The ones that will include:

Those that raise millions for Infant diseases
Those that raise millions for kids with cancer
Families whose children's short lives have been touched by his generosity.

Hopefully these wonderful foundations will continue.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM

Most people won't miss Imus. The ones that will include:

Those that raise millions for Infant diseases
Those that raise millions for kids with cancer
Families whose children's short lives have been touched by his generosity.

Hopefully these wonderful foundations will continue.
Didn't Al Capone use a similar excuse?

I'm pretty sure that most people that donated through Imus will donate through some other channel.

-ERD50
Old 04-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Get over it America! This is the land of the FREE!
Whoops, I think this is where you made your mistake. That was 75 or so years ago!

Ha