RV industry predicting recession

Callitaday2022

Recycles dryer sheets
"The RV industry is better at calling recessions than economist are"
Interesting article 20190820_182802.jpeg

Yes. A recession is long overdue.

Good news. The park camp sites are overly crowded.

Perhaps the news is finally out as to how poorly built many RV's are, and consumers are becoming reticent to invest in something that could well start going wrong soon after they drive it off the lot, even if new?

On the other hand, as NW-Bound says, we're overdue for a recession.

It's my fault. Just prior to retirement, I was dead set on buying an RV. Long story short, DW's heart wasn't in it like mine was. After some soul searching, I agreed that the $50K+ that was in the RV bucket could buy a lot of airfare, hotels, cruises, etc.

2 years later, no regrets and no buyers remorse. Apologies to Elkhart. :(

From camping in many of our local State parks over many years, and owning a 32' travel trailer ourselves for years, we saw a HUGE increase in brand new campers/RVs over the last year or two, and obviously some of these folks were new to the whole camping experiences...lots of indecision about how to setup camp, back the trailer into the spot properly, and dump the tanks that we saw.

We would walk through the campgrounds in the evening, and see many 2019 trucks pulling 2019 campers, and wonder to ourselves how much their payments were.

I think the RV sales slump may have more to do with everyone already getting the rig they wanted, and being a bit nervous about the stock market future.

From camping in many of our local State parks over many years, and owning a 32' travel trailer ourselves for years, we saw a HUGE increase in brand new campers/RVs over the last year or two, and obviously some of these folks were new to the whole camping experiences...lots of indecision about how to setup camp, back the trailer into the spot properly, and dump the tanks that we saw.

We would walk through the campgrounds in the evening, and see many 2019 trucks pulling 2019 campers, and wonder to ourselves how much their payments were.

I think the RV sales slump may have more to do with everyone already getting the rig they wanted, and being a bit nervous about the stock market future.

+1

Yes, when people who want to "blow their dough" have done so, it will be a while before they do it again, or someone new steps up to the plate.

Are there other markets or products that we can see collaborating this effect? How about sales of expensive cars, luxury goods for women, etc... ?

Hoping for some great deals on repo'ed units soon.

How's the boat market looking? This used to be a manufacturing town. Boat dealers did great during the boom times; Auction houses did great in the bust times.

I do remember that in 2003-2007 there was a huge increase in RVs sold. The industry was madly booming due to cheaper gas (at least until late 2005) and the supply was large. Then in 2008 several RV manufacturers suddenly went out of business, including our own. :facepalm: The banks simply shut the money flow down completely.

The last paragraph is the sum of the author's unbiased journalism. He just couldn't let the facts be the facts.

Well, if you are looking to a BLOG that is run by a guy that has lifetime ban from securities trading, then you get what you pay for. Don't get your info from Zero Hedge...just don't.

Just our run-of-the-mill business cycle.

Boom followed by bust. It's been booming for a long long time.

About time for a bust, you reckon?

Just our run-of-the-mill business cycle.

Boom followed by bust. It's been booming for a long long time.

About time for a bust, you reckon?

I think this has a lot of truth. The market is getting saturated. Also consider that RVs are a luxury type purchase and people feel better about spending when the money seems good. Once people sense money slowing, or recession, items like RVs lose their appeal.

RV's are god to have during a big recession. When your house is repossessed you can live in the RV!:cool:

Also, when the above happens, I'll be looking for a inexpensive Class B to pick up so I can dump the paid for house and "live on the road" my remaining years!

Yep! Biased.

But I do wonder about how much of the RV community represents the buying US public at large. It's a good indicator for a certain demographic but I'm not sure RV sales can easily translate to the economy overall.

If the super wealthy are still doing great, buying large homes, luxury cars and big boats, I think that also has to be factored into any prediction.

Regardless, we're due. Sooner or later someone will be right by claiming a connection between the economy and the numbers of birds in a flock or something equally esoteric.

Last edited:
Well, if you are looking to a BLOG that is run by a guy that has lifetime ban from securities trading, then you get what you pay for. Don't get your info from Zero Hedge...just don't.

+1

I never read his stuff.

Oh My, Berkshire Hathaway owns RV Mfg. Forest River and some others IIRC

Back
Top Bottom