View Poll Results: Your RV Ownership and Ownership Plans
I own an RV and am happy with it 37 35.24%
I own an RV but wish I didn't 0 0%
I don't own an RV and have no plans to get one 38 36.19%
I don't own an RV but would like to buy one sooner or later 26 24.76%
I have not given this matter any thought 4 3.81%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds nice! Much nicer than I thought possible, I admit it. I thought the quality would be like the inside of a single-wide mobile home (the kind where you wonder if you might fall through the walls if/when you trip and fall).
Oh, no! You need to be thinking along the lines of a Yacht. Or private jets. As small as ours is, it doesn't have a "cheap" feel about it... anywhere.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Fine Corinthian Leather?
So Khan keeps telling me...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I don't have an RV but they do interest me . We'll probably rent one for a trip out west .
Old 07-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Only two more shots and the Shuttle program is history. Make plans to attend either the November 1 or February 26 launch date or remove this one from your bucket list - forever.
This is very near and dear to DW's heart. Her grand-father worked on the Space Program's early workhorse, the Atlas. So it would be a tribute to him, as she probably got her "scentific gene" from him. Alas, he died before she had the opportunity to know him.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No reason to envy when you can do it too.

BTW, we have some non-RVing friends who were thinking of flying down and staying in a motel while we were there for the launch. I took a look at room rates in the Titusville area for the launch window and found some were jacked up as much as 4X the standard rate. Makes our $152 for seven nights look like a huge bargain.

Hot wire still had low rates for Cocoa Beach & Melbourne for those dates .
Old 07-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Despite the temptations of

* emptying a blackwater tank and having no permanent running water
Not really any worse than other regular household duties; just different (no pun intended)
Quote:
* living in cheap quality, cramped, impersonal quarters,
Yes, but you don't have to wonder about how clean the place is - who left what on the bed spread and no longer will feel the need to watch those creepy expose's on filthy hotel rooms.
Quote:
* paying to park the doggone behemoth half the time,
cheaper than a hotel....
Quote:
* lousy gas mileage,
True, but consider it part of your recreation cost.
Quote:
* exchanging several years' worth of retirement expenses for it, with the prospect of terrible resale,
Hmm... my trailer is 33 years old and now climbing in value....

Quote:
and more, I must reluctantly say that I neither have nor want an RV (yet). But I am open minded. Really.
I once felt this way... until I went camping with friends and discovered I had the best time I'd had in years.

Consider a trailer:
the worlds best rolling minibar
A personal vacation bubble that you can retreat to when traveling..
A great way to meet other folks
Tax deduction if you w*rk from the road
Insurance against being totally homeless should you miscalculate your savings, are flooded out or foreclosed on...
Good fun.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thoroughly enjoy camping. Always have since a kid.
If you go about it right you can pickup a fixer upper type camper on the cheap.
Get it under a shed for its protection and enjoy it for many years at little cost.
I bought a trade in unit from a camper dealer my brother knew for little of nothing several years ago. Its a 30 foot 5th wheel.
Still using it and plan to do a little more work on it now that I'm retired. The only thing I did before starting to use it (when bought) was a set of new tires and huge amount of cleaning and touch up. I need to do the cleaning all over again now and plan to replace a small section of carpet. Might consider putting hardwood floor instead of carpet. That would add a nice touch, I guess, but would it last with lots of beach sand tracking through?
Its no where near the super nice new units but its a camper and we think its nice enough. You only use these things a few times a year in most cases so don't get carried away when buying. I've been there and done that. They deteriorate sitting in the sun in your drive way.
Steve
Old 07-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Some people just don't get it.

BTW, my "cheap quality" RV has birch cabinetry throughout (not plywood veneer, solid birch) leather furniture and Corian counter tops.
Now that's what I don't understand. I'd want a plastic/metal interior that could be hosed down.

Or one of these: EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles Overview
Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Now that's what I don't understand. I'd want a plastic/metal interior that could be hosed down.

You've obviously never had a wife.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I don't think you'll get too many positive responses for a few days. It's summer, it's the weekend, and the RVers are out RVing.

I don't have one, but we've thought about it for years. Just saw Sarah's RV. It's pretty tempting, he says as he sits in a merely half decent hotel room. I think it would be a lot of fun, and we could take the dogs instead of kenneling them. We don't currently have anywhere to keep one. So camping is still in a tent, and travelling is still hotel based for now.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #31

Quote:

The earthroamer's are very cool looking.
I don't know anything about them but I think they would be worth looking into.
Steve

PS. Just learned the price range is 225 to 300K, you would need to live in it at those prices. My opinion only of course.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #32

I don't have an RV, but I'm trying to talk DW into one - maybe a Roadtrek Agile. I may need to rent one for a week or two to convince her
Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
The earthroamer's are very cool looking.
I don't know anything about them but I think they would be worth looking into.
Steve

PS. Just learned the price range is 250 to 300K, you would need to live in it at those prices. My opinion only of course.
There's also roadtrek.com

I've not owned any of either and have no commercial interests; just stuff I've run across.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Consider a trailer:
the worlds best rolling minibar
A personal vacation bubble that you can retreat to when traveling..
A great way to meet other folks
Tax deduction if you w*rk from the road
Insurance against being totally homeless should you miscalculate your savings, are flooded out or foreclosed on...
Good fun.
OMG, how I wish we had had ours when we were going through the kitchen rennovation!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You mean, like a submarine?

It adds an ineffable essence to the bathroom décor, too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

i dont own one.. never have.. but will buy one in the next six months to live in for at least the next two years...

call me crazy... but someone has to do it...
Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
This is very near and dear to DW's heart. Her grand-father worked on the Space Program's early workhorse, the Atlas. So it would be a tribute to him, as she probably got her "scentific gene" from him. Alas, he died before she had the opportunity to know him.
we lucked into seeing the last shuttle launch... all can be read here...
On the Road to Retirement!: their loss... was our gain…

better to be lucky some times...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You mean, like a submarine?

It adds an ineffable essence to the bathroom décor, too...
Something like that.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Don't have an RV, don't plan to get one. Even so, I'll share a very tender memory with all of you. After retiring from the guvmint, my dad bought a big camper. This was just about this time DH and I first met and fell in love. We had our first kiss in the back of the camper while mom and dad were driving up front. Just a tender teenage moment where he looked in my eyes, gave me a kiss, and the universe shifted.

That night, the four of us camped out together and sat by the campfire until very late that night. One of my most precious memories.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #40

We were both raised in Montana and grew up camping in tents, older travel trailers (Shasta style), the back of a pick up truck and occasionally in a sleeping bag on the bare ground. Our camper van set up is luxurious compared to some of those methods.

As was mentioned in the other RV thread, there are campers and there are travelers. We're the latter. The home we presently live in is in the forest with a river view. We don't camp to get away from it all. We live away from it all!

I won't even attempt any kind of cost justification. I'll only say that we enjoy the ability to stop for an afternoon nap on a real bed in the middle of the day before traveling onward. We've camped next to beautiful lakes and rivers only a stone throw from our door in areas where developers can only dream about building a five star resort (Protected natural areas) It truly is a lifestyle and a close knit fellowship. It either fits you or it doesn't.

As a side note: I find dumping a black tank less disgusting than changing a poopy diaper Keep disposable latex gloves handy. If you do it right (not like Robin Williams in the movie "RV") everything is rinsed out and the stinky slinky goes in its own little tube. Just remember to take the latex gloves off before scratching your nose