I own an RV and am happy with it 37 35.24%
I own an RV but wish I didn't 0 0%
I don't own an RV and have no plans to get one 38 36.19%
I don't own an RV but would like to buy one sooner or later 26 24.76%
I have not given this matter any thought 4 3.81%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

RV Ownership Poll
Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RV Ownership Poll

On another thread someone mentioned that many of us seem to be RVers.

Why not find out?

I do not own one, though I did at one time. It turned out that I am not the type, and I preferred to go back-packing or stay home at that time. We lived only a mile from what passes for a beach up here, and only 5 miles from a bay with fairly warm water during midsummer so home was fine. Also an hour and a half put us at trail head in the Cascades. For occasional trips to the Oregon Coast we rented a cabin, if we went to Texas we flew and stayed with relatives. Other trips were mostly family or city destinations that I felt would be more difficult or less fun with an RV.

Last but perhaps most important to me, I didnt like the maintenance or driving and parking etc. Also, as I have gotten older I don't even like to get into my car, let alone an RV. Putting up with the crazy people on the bus seems much easier than dealing with traffic which is pretty brutal around here, though not at all in my neighborhood or even downtown as so many people walk and use transit.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't own an RV but I am evaluating it as a possibility during e.r.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I considered it in the past, but looked like too much work.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We've really enjoyed our RV since retiring and hope to enjoy it even more as DW becomes less and less glued to the grandkids as they grow older. We've averaged just under 40 nights a year in it over the past three years but hope to beat that by a considerable margin this year. We have two trips planned in the coming months, each lasting about three weeks.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Any guesses as to how I voted?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We have two trips planned in the coming months, each lasting about three weeks.
I so envy you for your planned trip to Canaveral.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I so envy you for your planned trip to Canaveral.
No reason to envy when you can do it too.

BTW, we have some non-RVing friends who were thinking of flying down and staying in a motel while we were there for the launch. I took a look at room rates in the Titusville area for the launch window and found some were jacked up as much as 4X the standard rate. Makes our $152 for seven nights look like a huge bargain.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I took a look at room rates in the Titusville area for the launch window and found some were jacked up as much as 4X the standard rate. Makes our $152 for seven nights look like a huge bargain.
And after taking into account up-front costs, maintenance, etc on an RV.... I doubt many could make a case for it on a pure financial basis. But if it iswhat you want & enjoy, go for it!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And after taking into account up-front costs, maintenance, etc on an RV.... I doubt many could make a case for it on a pure financial basis.

-ERD50
I'm not attempting to do anything of the sort. I've stated many times that RVing is almost always more expensive than other modes of travel when all costs are included and attempting to cost justify purchasing an RV is an exercise in futility. The one time I can actually point to an exception and have a chance to enjoy it, you feel it necessary to point out how wrong I am. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No reason to envy when you can do it too.

BTW, we have some non-RVing friends who were thinking of flying down and staying in a motel while we were there for the launch. I took a look at room rates in the Titusville area for the launch window and found some were jacked up as much as 4X the standard rate. Makes our $152 for seven nights look like a huge bargain.
Quote:
After seeing an announcement a couple of days ago that NASA had rescheduled the launch dates of the last two shuttle missions, I decided to attempt crossing off one more item on my bucket list. Earlier today I called to make reservations at an RV park within viewing distance of the launch pad. I was very surprised to find a spot and was told it was the last one they had available at the park for the November launch. They are totally booked for the final launch in February.
I suppose we could park in an empty lot.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not attempting to do anything of the sort. I've stated many times that RVing is almost always more expensive than other modes of travel when all costs are included and attempting to cost justify purchasing an RV is an exercise in futility. The one time I can actually point to an exception and have a chance to enjoy it, you feel it necessary to point out how wrong I am. Thanks.
Sorry - I have skipped most of the RV threads as it doesn't interest me, just happened to click on this one and your post sounded like some sort of attempt at financial justification. I did say, 'enjoy', I fully understand that not every purchase we make needs to be cost justified, we do what we want... Carry on.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
I suppose we could park in an empty lot.
Bet you can still find a spot at an RV park in the Orlando area and drive over to see the launch on Monday afternoon. Maybe drop in and see Mickey while you're in the neighborhood.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Despite the temptations of

* emptying a blackwater tank and having no permanent running water,
* living in cheap quality, cramped, impersonal quarters,
* paying to park the doggone behemoth half the time,
* lousy gas mileage,
* exchanging several years' worth of retirement expenses for it, with the prospect of terrible resale,

and more, I must reluctantly say that I neither have nor want an RV (yet). But I am open minded. Really.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bet you can still find a spot at an RV park in the Orlando area and drive over to see the launch on Monday afternoon. Maybe drop in and see Mickey while you're in the neighborhood.
DW wants to attend one of those last launches and we were thinking about staying in Orlando (hotel) and driving to Cap Canaveral on D-day. We would skip Mickey though...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mickey? (Never mind... I am really slow today. Today?)

Of course, we could stay with friends in Ft. lauderdale. They are always begging us to visit... even a month after we leave. (We were there last about a year ago on our way to key West.)

Doggoneit, I could have done without this temptation.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But I am open minded. Really.
Some people just don't get it.

BTW, my "cheap quality" RV has birch cabinetry throughout (not plywood veneer, solid birch) leather furniture and Corian counter tops.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
BTW, my "cheap quality" RV has birch cabinetry throughout (not plywood veneer, solid birch) leather furniture and Corian counter tops.
I'd be terrified to touch anything, let alone send it hurtling down an interstate at 60+ MPH...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
DW wants to attend one of those last launches and we were thinking about staying in Orlando (hotel) and driving to Cap Canaveral on D-day.
Quote:
Of course, we could stay with friends in Ft. lauderdale. They are always begging us to visit... even a month after we leave. (We were there last about a year ago on our way to key West.)

Doggoneit, I could have done without this temptation.
Only two more shots and the Shuttle program is history. Make plans to attend either the November 1 or February 26 launch date or remove this one from your bucket list - forever.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Some people just don't get it.

Sounds nice! Much nicer than I thought possible, I admit it. I thought the quality would be like the inside of a single-wide mobile home (the kind where you wonder if you might fall through the walls if/when you trip and fall).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fine Corinthian Leather?