Join Early Retirement Today

RV / Trailer research sites needed
Old 07-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RV / Trailer research sites needed

DH and I currently do Homeaway for vacations since we need to take the dog and the bird with us. We are toying with doing some extended RV / travel trailer adventures when he retires. Goal would be to be on the road for 10 - 12 weeks each year in 3 - 5 week chunks (but probably staying in each spot for a week before moving on to the next site).

It's probably already obvious but I have *no clue* what I am talking about I need a forum where I can do valid research. Something like early-retirement.org with it's vast amount of knowledge but for wannabe RV / trailer folks.

I know you guys have the answer

TIA

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

iRV2 Forums is an RV related sister site to ER.org and has an amazing amount of content. Don't let the amount of information overwhelm you.

A good start might be to search for "RVing 101", "RV Basics", and "Learn to RV" type websites and YouTube videos.

Two other recommendations:

1. Rent an RV to get a 'taste' of what RVing is all about before you take the plunge.
2. If you decide to purchase an RV, buy used. Depreciation on two or three year old units will water your eyes if you buy new.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/ A really good forum about van/RV life, and how to do it relatively cheaply. Lots of free camping BLM boondocking advice.

Bob has many videos on youtube interviewing people from all walks of life currently living in a mobile vehicle.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have owned some sort of RV most of my adult life. I second what was said about renting an RV and trying out the lifestyle first. RVing is not for everyone and can be hard work. We have sold our last RV and now rent VRBO/Homeway or Air BnB places. I think renting the VRBO/Air BnB places turns out to actually be cheaper than owning an RV.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
RVing is not for everyone and can be hard work. We have sold our last RV and now rent VRBO/Homeway or Air BnB places. I think renting the VRBO/Air BnB places turns out to actually be cheaper than owning an RV.

I was going to post something similar. I did hours and hours of reading on RVs, travel trailers, camper vans, costs for parking, where you can park for free, hookups, boondocking, etc. It sounded very interesting, but yes, it's hard work and isn't cheap. In the end, I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth it over VRBO / AirBnb.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Prior to buying a used class C and a towable car for the toad in 2010, I researched and read a lot of full-time RV'er blogs to know what to expect. The aspect of being a vagabond was interesting to me, and I went ahead with it.

It's not for everyone, the same as we have not done any backpacking and sleeping in a tent and going potty in the woods. Just not interested.

Having done plenty of long-range RV'ing, I had wonderful memories of trips up to 2 months long and 10,000 miles round-trip. And I still want to do more.

For shorter trips, Airbnb + fly-and-drive method is less expensive and may be more enjoyable.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
https://www.cheaprvliving.com/ A really good forum about van/RV life, and how to do it relatively cheaply. Lots of free camping BLM boondocking advice.

Bob has many videos on youtube interviewing people from all walks of life currently living in a mobile vehicle.
These guys are full-timers, and campers. We are travelers, and do not stay in a spot as long as full-time RV'ers. We stay at a spot for 3 or 4 days max and move on.

Hence, I must have a toad to make day trips for sightseeing. The motorhome is used as a base to go back to sleep at night.

You have to know what style of camping or traveling you want to do.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Another source of info is Youtube.

I think the OP is looking to use an RV to make long travel trips, and not to live in one. There are plenty of videos on Youtube about people doing that, along with videos about full-timing.

Have fun.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

RV.net. More specifically....their beginners forum. ( https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...s/forum/28.cfm ). They have forums for every level and activity. A wealth of info.
Grey-son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are selling our 27 ft motor home because it’s cheaper to drive and use motels or AirBNB. RV sites have gotten expensive and so is gas out here. Boondocking doesn’t appeal because we like to have plug in’s. Things have changed a lot in the last 12 years since we bought it.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
iRV2 Forums is an RV related sister site to ER.org and has an amazing amount of content. Don't let the amount of information overwhelm you.

In addition to the above-linked forum, there are a lot of manufacturer-specific forums out there. We have a Thor motorhome and I joined the Thor owners forum. A lot of very good information is available that is specific to your motorhome.

txtig is offline   Reply With Quote