Join Early Retirement Today

RV TV Conversion
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RV TV Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve
RonBoyd said, "Yeah, I could have placed the Converter there also... but now you have two Remote Controls to deal with, one of which you have to get up and go to the cubby-hole to change channels."

Ahhh--the multiple remote challenge... agree not something to take on lightly. We have challenges finding one.
BTW, what did you purchase to replace the analogue tv that came with the unit?
Thanks
Nwsteve
The number of remote control devices was not the issue. As I (kept) telling them, it was having to get up and getting in "line of sight" of the converter that was the problem -- I prefer to change channels by pointing the device at the TV itself not some hidden-away box.

Anyway, I simply went to Best Buy and for around $250 bought the same (or looked so) model that had a digital tuner -- it just bolted right up (although, I believe that is universal for all TVs.)

I did some other modifications also. We watch TV sitting in the front seats. The way Roadtrek installed the TV only half of the screen was visible from the Passenger's seat. I purchased heavy-duty drawer slides at Home Depot and installed a slide for the TV:

Oh, no! It seems one cannot attach photos to this type of post. I know what I will do. I will start a thread in the normal manner.
IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg
Note also that I moved the thermostat away from the wall -- the outside temperature had too great an effect on it, particularly direct sun in Texas.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ron
That is awesome addition. You wonder why Roadtrek does not make that available is first place.
So I understand what you did. You mounted the drawer slides to the wall. What is the large metal place that extends the mounting. Did you have to fabricate this or is this as stock plate?
Also thought your glass rack hanging below the microwave looked pretty cool. Is that something stock you converted? Is it just hanging from the shelve above or do you have it permanently mounted some how?
Thanks for sharing
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
So I understand what you did. You mounted the drawer slides to the wall. What is the large metal place that extends the mounting. Did you have to fabricate this or is this as stock plate?
Actually, it is a piece of 1/2" plywood that I painted black for camouflage. The original Swing-away TV mount is bolted to that and then affixed to the two parallel drawer slides attached to the side if the amoire. I used those screw/insert combination thingys (that the name of escapes my mind right now) to attach every thing.

Quote:
Also thought your glass rack hanging below the microwave looked pretty cool. Is that something stock you converted? Is it just hanging from the shelve above or do you have it permanently mounted some how?
That was an accident. I stumbled upon four wine glasses in a thrift store that are, actually, plastic -- and I think are designed to be used at a pool. Once I had them I had to improvise a way to store them without their getting all scratched up. I was in Wal Mart looking for some kitchen tool (probably a can opener) when I seen this nifty glasses rack in the same aisle... it cost less than five bucks if I remember correctly. BTW, these glasses are wonderful for a reason other than they are unbreakable -- they are light as a feather (literally). When you buy one, the mounting is self-evident... well that and some "can't live without in a RV" material -- Velcro. Oh! and, while they are called "Wine" glasses, they seem to handle Margaritas just fine.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Oh, yeah. That "thing" sitting on the bed is a wireless all-in-one printer. It is kind of a pain in the neck because we have to move it to the front seats when we go to bed and bring it back in the morning. However, the ability to make copies, faxes, prints, etc without stringing wires all over makes up for the hassle. For less than $90 it can't be beat.

(I, generally, set it up outside on the table plugging it into the outside plug on the side of the RV or the campground's outlet and print from inside the RV.)

Canon MP560
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ron, why do you need a printer on the road? Seems like a real PITA to deal with it.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ron, why do you need a printer on the road? Seems like a real PITA to deal with it.
I could take the easy route and say that I have to have my "office" with me at all times (seems everything nowadays requires being "connected"). However, because we just "take off" without putting much thought into it, the ability to print out hiking trails, for example, or making copies of maps has been very valuable. We use it a surprising amount. (I am sure if I put some thought into it I could make a fairly long list.)

But you are correct, it is inconvenient. We originally had a HP Deskjet D1530 which I recommend highly. Unfortunately, in a Class B RV, where space is so valuable, having a printer tethered to the computer just doesn't work -- you can't have cords strung across the aisle and maintain your sanity. It was, however, light as a feather and fit nicely in the cabinet. The Canon Printer, on the other hand, is surprisingly heavy but oh, so convenient... except for the storage part.

I have thought that this is the ideal storage place for this printer. It is a pretty complicated piece of equipment and the bed makes a perfect buffer for the bumps and grinds of the road, particularly the unpaved secondary kind.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
(I, generally, set it up outside on the table plugging it into the outside plug on the side of the RV or the campground's outlet and print from inside the RV.)
Okay, I have looked several times for an outside plug on my unit.
Where exactly is your plug mounted? Near as I can tell there does not seem to be too much difference between out units except for the upgrades Chevy put in their equipment (eg my mileage counters are analogue). If we parked next to each other, it would be a bit of trouble to tell which belong to who until we opened the doors--ours has the birch interior.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay, I have looked several times for an outside plug on my unit.
Where exactly is your plug mounted?
It's a secret.

If you open the drawer with the batteries and look to the right you will find it. If you don't see it, look again... it blends right in and has a little door over it.