Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
It is amazing how far they have come with converter technology. The WFCO in my Aliner includes a 25A three stage charger which does a great job on everything from float to rapid charge. I was able to get 4 years out of the original cheapo deep cycle battery thanks to proper charging

This hit me in spades. After four seasons, I wanted to get a new battery and figured I might as well put in a size 27 in place of the size 24. I already had a size 27 battery box in the garage I used to use for the trolling motor on the boat. But wait....... ! When I tried to mount the size 27 box where the size 24 box had been, it interfered with the two propane tanks. Now I'm figuring out how to jury rig a way to mount it without having to do any cutting and welding of the L brackets that hold the battery box. There's always something........
When we replaced our house batteries we stuck with exactly the same size. Too many folks had fires in their battery compartment after "upgrading". We didn't dare change/re-route the wiring at all!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Ding ding ding, winner. RVs are cheaply made so they can be affordable. If you don't want cheap, go with something like an earthmover.
Few people realize what they are getting into when they purchase an RV. Our plan is to buy a 5 year old class A motor home for half the new price, drive it around for a few years exploring this great country of ours, then sell it for what we can get out of it and buy or build in our new-found retirement locale.
We have expectations of having to replace roof material, appliances, flooring, plumbing fixtures, and a whole host of other failed parts during the journey. We also have expectations of having phenomenal views out the front window when we wake up every morning. Lakes, mountains, prairies, glacier valleys, and rivers among them. All without living out of a suitcase and dealing with airport security and baggage lines.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikepilot View Post
Few people realize what they are getting into when they purchase an RV. Our plan is to buy a 5 year old class A motor home for half the new price, drive it around for a few years exploring this great country of ours, then sell it for what we can get out of it and buy or build in our new-found retirement locale.
We have expectations of having to replace roof material, appliances, flooring, plumbing fixtures, and a whole host of other failed parts during the journey. We also have expectations of having phenomenal views out the front window when we wake up every morning. Lakes, mountains, prairies, glacier valleys, and rivers among them. All without living out of a suitcase and dealing with airport security and baggage lines.
A good plan.

We did something similar the year after retiring and our repair experience was far less daunting than what you describe above.

In 2007 we bought a 2001 diesel pusher from the original owner and paid half what he paid new. Granted, we didn't live in it full time but we did keep it four years and enjoyed the heck out of using it. I did most of the minor maintenance and repair stuff myself (not the oil changes - too messy). The only major repair cost was $900 to replace a dryer on the air suspension/brake system. By far the biggest hit to my wallet was the $3,000 cost to replace the tires. Or maybe it was the $4,700 in sales tax when I registered it. Or was it the ~$6,400 spent to keep the 150 gallon tank full of diesel?

No matter, it was a great fun for those four years. We we sold it for 75% of what we paid for it, downsized to a towable RV and still spend 60+ nights a year seeing the sights. Sleeping in your own bed wherever you go cannot be overrated.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
... Sleeping in your own bed wherever you go cannot be overrated.
DW and I stumbled into the RV lifestyle when we purchased an Airstream from my aging parents. Now that we've FIREd the RV allows us to spend significant amount of time traveling. We're not full-timing we are any-timing! And bringing your bed (and kitchen and bathroom) are a major benefit.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
DW and I stumbled into the RV lifestyle when we purchased an Airstream from my aging parents. Now that we've FIREd the RV allows us to spend significant amount of time traveling. We're not full-timing we are any-timing! And bringing your bed (and kitchen and bathroom) are a major benefit.
Why are you guys hating so much on bedbugs in hotel rooms. They gotta eat too!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I bought a 3 year old Airstream 3 1/2 years ago. We love it. In 2013 we spent 105 nights traveling in it and traveled over 10,000 uneventful miles. Buying a lightly used Airstream allowed us to avoid the big depreciation hit. We've had some maintenance work performed which is required of all moving vehicles. Airstreams have some issues but if you care for them and stay on top of the problems they should last a lifetime.

The unexpected bonus of owning an Airstream has been the social aspect. We frequently attend Airstream rallies around the country and have made wonderful new friends. For example we attended the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in 2013 and camped on the edge of the balloon launch field with 199 other Airstreams.

Travel keeps us active and healthy. The Airstream allows us to see and experience the country in a new way. After a career spent traveling around the globe, I'll be happy if I never ride another airplane. There is nothing quite like backing one's trailer up to a secluded lake and watching the sun set with a campfire glowing and a nice glass of wine.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 57 View Post
.......... There is nothing quite like backing one's trailer up to a secluded lake
Left! No Right! I mean STOP!

Quote:
and watching the sun set with a campfire glowing and a nice glass of wine.
Until the neighbors from hell show up , generator and boom box running.

Just kidding.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Just kidding.
Never had a problem backing the trailer just using the side view mirrors.

Solved the neighbors from hell problem. Sold my Argosy, bought 14 acres in the wilderness, nearest neighbor several miles away.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Solved the neighbors from hell problem. Sold my Argosy, bought 14 acres in the wilderness, nearest neighbor several miles away.
No doubt on the mirrors. Using sig. other for backing help is a recipe for disaster.

Neighbors from hell? We have joined them before and packed up and left some other times. I don;t let things like that ruin my trips.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #70

Quote:
Reminds me of a story by spoken word artist Henry Rollins. He was talking about a time some years ago when he decided he badly needed a break, so booked a place on an African safari-type vacation. By day, the group would be taken on safari and by night, they would live in tents in an area set up for them. Henry described his excitement at the thought of getting out into the middle of this wild and rugged country - just him, a few other people in the group, a book or two that he had brought with him to read at night, and the wild animals. Then the folk in a tent near him turned their boombox up loud so that all night, he heard loud Madonna songs blaring across the African landscape.

It was quite comic to hear him rail on about his perceived idiocy of these people who had spent a good sum of money to get out into this beautiful and remote countryside, only to play loud pop music
Old 02-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
No doubt on the mirrors. Using sig. other for backing help is a recipe for disaster.

Neighbors from hell? We have joined them before and packed up and left some other times. I don;t let things like that ruin my trips.
This guy knows how to back up and turn around. The version I originally saw, whats behind him a cliff.

MRG

Old 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I w*rked at a plant making specialized boxes with molded foam inserts for a while back in the 70s. I was the only guy who could back the trailer under the gravity bin where the sawdust gathered, so I spent most of the time driving the truck/trailer to the county dump. Definitely the best j*b in the place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It was quite comic to hear him rail on about his perceived idiocy of these people who had spent a good sum of money to get out into this beautiful and remote countryside, only to play loud pop music
I see this at the movies and at concerts all the time, i.e. people blabbing the entire time. Why pay good money for a ticket when you have no plans to watch the show?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I see this at the movies and at concerts all the time, i.e. people blabbing the entire time. Why pay good money for a ticket when you have no plans to watch the show?
One of my favorite songwriters, anytime he plays acoustic, begins the show with a warning that if you talk during his songs, he's going to stop singing and embarrass you in front of your girlfriend. Fair warning, and people STFU at his shows.

Now when he's out with the full band, there's a big dance floor, it is a whole 'nother story.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
One of my favorite songwriters, anytime he plays acoustic, begins the show with a warning that if you talk during his songs, he's going to stop singing and embarrass you in front of your girlfriend. Fair warning, and people STFU at his shows.

Now when he's out with the full band, there's a big dance floor, it is a whole 'nother story.
J.D. Souther did this when I saw him.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
RV Camping in an Airstream
Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

RV Camping in an Airstream

Quote:

Just kidding.
The photo below was taken in at sunrise in Carribelle, Florida January 16, 2014. By the way, the neighbors were terrific. No generators (full hookup sites) and no boom boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0506.jpg (165.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The photo below was taken in at sunrise in Carribelle, Florida January 16, 2014. By the way, the neighbors were terrific. No generators (full hookup sites) and no boom boxes.
Here's the same location at sunset:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2602.jpg (229.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's the same location at sunset:
NC, I'm pulling your leg. I have a travel camper, too.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

We've gotten a little off-track from the OP's comments about inferior quality of RVs and that's one thing I like about this forum. Threads can meander about and nobody not many seem to mind.

I've seen several references to Airstream and Argosy on this thread. As said above those brands are not without problems but they seem to just keep on ticking. I suspect the percentage of old Airstreams still on the road is relatively high compared to some brands.

If the OP ever gets the fever to travel in an RV maybe an Airstream (or some vintage kin like an Avion) will be suitable.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
NC, I'm pulling your leg. I have a travel camper, too.
I knew you were kidding. I couldn't resist responding.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post

I've seen several references to Airstream and Argosy on this thread. As said above those brands are not without problems but they seem to just keep on ticking. I suspect the percentage of old Airstreams still on the road is relatively high compared to some brands.

If the OP ever gets the fever to travel in an RV maybe an Airstream (or some vintage kin like an Avion) will be suitable.
Old Airstreams, Argosies on the road -- true. Most campgrounds will let them in even though older than 10 years old.

Neither is really good for winter use. Aluminum is highly conductive, reject heat to the neighborhood really good. Insulation is minimal. I had the internal skin off my Argosy several places. Regardelss of insulation, the ribbing is also aluminum, makes for a really good thermal bridge.