RV's---never again

The photo below was taken in at sunrise in Carribelle, Florida January 16, 2014. By the way, the neighbors were terrific. No generators (full hookup sites) and no boom boxes.

Here's the same location at sunset:

Attachments

• IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 7
We've gotten a little off-track from the OP's comments about inferior quality of RVs and that's one thing I like about this forum. Threads can meander about and [-]nobody[/-] not many seem to mind.

I've seen several references to Airstream and Argosy on this thread. As said above those brands are not without problems but they seem to just keep on ticking. I suspect the percentage of old Airstreams still on the road is relatively high compared to some brands.

If the OP ever gets the fever to travel in an RV maybe an Airstream (or some vintage kin like an Avion) will be suitable.

I've seen several references to Airstream and Argosy on this thread. As said above those brands are not without problems but they seem to just keep on ticking. I suspect the percentage of old Airstreams still on the road is relatively high compared to some brands.

If the OP ever gets the fever to travel in an RV maybe an Airstream (or some vintage kin like an Avion) will be suitable.

Old Airstreams, Argosies on the road -- true. Most campgrounds will let them in even though older than 10 years old.

Neither is really good for winter use. Aluminum is highly conductive, reject heat to the neighborhood really good. Insulation is minimal. I had the internal skin off my Argosy several places. Regardelss of insulation, the ribbing is also aluminum, makes for a really good thermal bridge.:D

We've gotten a little off-track from the OP's comments about inferior quality of RVs and that's one thing I like about this forum. Threads can meander about and [-]nobody[/-] not many seem to mind...

Well, the posts still relate to the OP, in the sense that while the OP said he would never get another RV, many people do not mind the shortcomings of their toys and still enjoy outing with them.

I think that buying a used RV of a few years old and paying only 50% to 25% of the new price would ease a lot of consternation when something bad happens with the RV, which seems to be the norm. When mine craps out, I won't be too sore, although I think my run-of-the-mill class C will last me a while. I am in Aridzona and do not have the same problems people have elsewhere with the weather.

I have a Winnie, but if I didn't (or maybe even having one), would consider doing a one way from Alaska down south in "repositioning season" in late summer/early fall through an outfit like CruiseAmerica. We did one of them the year before we bought ours and IIRC, it was about a $25/day rental charge - maybe less. Maybe a person could take a cruise or ferry up from Vancouver or Seattle and drive the RV back?
On the site, most RV repositioning dayrates are about 75-85% of regular price. That seems right to me and could be ~ $25-$35/day.
Cruise America: RV Rental Hot Deals

I sort of have to travel in an RV to be out in the middle of nowhere and travel with the dog. There are no motels where we go and I wouldn't want to go there if there were.

Old Airstreams, Argosies on the road -- true. Most campgrounds will let them in even though older than 10 years old.

Neither is really good for winter use. Aluminum is highly conductive, reject heat to the neighborhood really good. Insulation is minimal. I had the internal skin off my Argosy several places. Regardelss of insulation, the ribbing is also aluminum, makes for a really good thermal bridge.:D

We found out why ours was so noisy inside when we pulled up the carpet to put down some cork--there was a great big hole in the floor under one of the swivel chairs. Wow, putting down some plywood really dampened that road noise! :D

Though y'all have seen her before, here's our 1976 Argosy motorhome, with 454 Chevy Engine, in her music festival element.

Attachments

• FFArgosy.jpg
    FFArgosy.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 50
My 2 cents is they are mostly built for profit. As cheap as possible. The Fleetwood I bought was in the shop more than 80 days of the first 150 days. Worthless dealership and factory repairs that were mediocre at best. Once they get your money they become deaf blind and dumb. Not at all impressed to say the least.
Any motorhome requires constant maintenance but should not be engineered to fall apart within 12 months.
Now the available chassis are MUCH better than they were years ago. Very reliable and reasonably efficient.

Ron

My 2 cents is they are mostly built for profit. As cheap as possible. The Fleetwood I bought was in the shop more than 80 days of the first 150 days. Worthless dealership and factory repairs that were mediocre at best. Once they get your money they become deaf blind and dumb. Not at all impressed to say the least.
Any motorhome requires constant maintenance but should not be engineered to fall apart within 12 months.
Now the available chassis are MUCH better than they were years ago. Very reliable and reasonably efficient.

Ron

I think some depend on manufacturer as well. BIL worked in industry for years and swears by Wini now that it is back under family management. He says Fleetwood had some rough years as well. My Winin dealer dropped Fleetwood because of their quality issues.

Back
Top Bottom