Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
We've gotten a little off-track from the OP's comments about inferior quality of RVs and that's one thing I like about this forum. Threads can meander about and nobody not many seem to mind...
Well, the posts still relate to the OP, in the sense that while the OP said he would never get another RV, many people do not mind the shortcomings of their toys and still enjoy outing with them.

I think that buying a used RV of a few years old and paying only 50% to 25% of the new price would ease a lot of consternation when something bad happens with the RV, which seems to be the norm. When mine craps out, I won't be too sore, although I think my run-of-the-mill class C will last me a while. I am in Aridzona and do not have the same problems people have elsewhere with the weather.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Left! No Right! I mean STOP!

Just kidding.
Of course now you could easily put a camera on the rear of the trailer and interface it to the backup camera already in the vehicle. BTW do new RV's come with backup cameras?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
BTW do new RV's come with backup cameras?
Sure, if you are willing to pay for it. You can also get heated floors, gold fixtures and helicopter landing pads...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Winnie, but if I didn't (or maybe even having one), would consider doing a one way from Alaska down south in "repositioning season" in late summer/early fall through an outfit like CruiseAmerica. We did one of them the year before we bought ours and IIRC, it was about a $25/day rental charge - maybe less. Maybe a person could take a cruise or ferry up from Vancouver or Seattle and drive the RV back?
On the site, most RV repositioning dayrates are about 75-85% of regular price. That seems right to me and could be ~ $25-$35/day.
Cruise America: RV Rental Hot Deals

I sort of have to travel in an RV to be out in the middle of nowhere and travel with the dog. There are no motels where we go and I wouldn't want to go there if there were.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Old Airstreams, Argosies on the road -- true. Most campgrounds will let them in even though older than 10 years old.

Neither is really good for winter use. Aluminum is highly conductive, reject heat to the neighborhood really good. Insulation is minimal. I had the internal skin off my Argosy several places. Regardelss of insulation, the ribbing is also aluminum, makes for a really good thermal bridge.
We found out why ours was so noisy inside when we pulled up the carpet to put down some cork--there was a great big hole in the floor under one of the swivel chairs. Wow, putting down some plywood really dampened that road noise!

Though y'all have seen her before, here's our 1976 Argosy motorhome, with 454 Chevy Engine, in her music festival element.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFArgosy.jpg (597.6 KB, 47 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Though y'all have seen her before, here's our 1976 Argosy motorhome, with 454 Chevy Engine, in her music festival element.
Very sophisticated leveling mechanism...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Very sophisticated leveling mechanism...
Gotta respect mid-1970s technology if we want to stay in character.
And us lowcountry folk don't know much about handling hilly hippy campsites!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #88
Dryer sheet wannabe

My 2 cents is they are mostly built for profit. As cheap as possible. The Fleetwood I bought was in the shop more than 80 days of the first 150 days. Worthless dealership and factory repairs that were mediocre at best. Once they get your money they become deaf blind and dumb. Not at all impressed to say the least.
Any motorhome requires constant maintenance but should not be engineered to fall apart within 12 months.
Now the available chassis are MUCH better than they were years ago. Very reliable and reasonably efficient.

Ron
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by may pop View Post
My 2 cents is they are mostly built for profit. As cheap as possible. The Fleetwood I bought was in the shop more than 80 days of the first 150 days. Worthless dealership and factory repairs that were mediocre at best. Once they get your money they become deaf blind and dumb. Not at all impressed to say the least.
Any motorhome requires constant maintenance but should not be engineered to fall apart within 12 months.
Now the available chassis are MUCH better than they were years ago. Very reliable and reasonably efficient.

Ron
I think some depend on manufacturer as well. BIL worked in industry for years and swears by Wini now that it is back under family management. He says Fleetwood had some rough years as well. My Winin dealer dropped Fleetwood because of their quality issues.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Loving this thread.

VERY groovy-looking Argosy Sarah!