Join Early Retirement Today

$$$'s to avoid ads?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$$$'s to avoid ads?

As a news geek, lots of time online and maybe 25+ news sources. Overlays, pop-ups, shaking, flashing, auto-plays and dozens of sneaky ads disguised as "news" or "freebies" ... and some that defy classification.

The question...
"Do you subscribe to 'pay' websites to avoid ads?"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

I totally avoid sites with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Overlays, pop-ups, shaking, flashing, auto-plays and dozens of sneaky ads disguised as "news" or "freebies"
I selectively subscribe to a few quality sources that don't resort to such tactics to begin with.

No, I don't subscribe to avoid the "add ons" you describe, those are a clear warning for me. Garbage on the top = garbage underneath.

Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I do not subscribe to "pay" websites to avoid ads. That sounds almost like ransom ware. Kinda like having to pay so someone will stop cranking up loud music.

Instead, I use a good ad/pop-up blocker and a program that limits the sound volume so when sites automatically play audio, the audio isn't cranked up all the way like a bad commercial.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I do not subscribe to "pay" websites to avoid ads. That sounds almost like ransom ware. Kinda like having to pay so someone will stop cranking up loud music.

Instead, I use a good ad/pop-up blocker and a program that limits the sound volume so when sites automatically play audio, the audio isn't cranked up all the way like a bad commercial.
I recently installed AdBlock. It seems to work OK, but I do have an issues with many news sites. They don't want to give access unless you "white list" them, or subscribe. I also just leave my sound on mute, unless i really want to hear something.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Administrator

More than 25 sites? There's not enough happening in the world to occupy them all. They make their money by getting you to click.

I get almost all my news and analysis from paid subscriptions, and visit 4 or 5 non-subscription sites, but find them to be of limited value.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I use Ad Block Plus and have very little that gets through - that said, some legitimate news sites do pop up an ad; normally in the "you have two articles left to read for free" vein, begging for a subscription. Figure they have to pay their reporters somehow. Being a cheap bastid I just do without the article.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I recently installed AdBlock. It seems to work OK, but I do have an issues with many news sites. They don't want to give access unless you "white list" them, or subscribe. I also just leave my sound on mute, unless i really want to hear something.
I feel your pain about the no access unless you "white list" them. Most of the time, I move onto and look for a different place that doesn't have the must subscribe or whitelist option.

However, if the article is something I really want to read, on uBlock Origin (the ad blocker I use), to unblock is a simple mouse click on a blue block/no-block icon to toggle off to read the article, then toggle back on to resume blocking .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_1.jpg (12.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I feel your pain about the no access unless you "white list" them. Most of the time, I move onto and look for a different place that doesn't have the must subscribe or whitelist option.

However, if the article is something I really want to read, on uBlock Origin (the ad blocker I use), to unblock is a simple mouse click on a blue block/no-block icon to toggle off to read the article, then toggle back on to resume blocking .
If I get a nice request to white list, I'll do it if I think the article may be of value to me. I'll leave them whitelisted as long as they don't have obnoxious ads that block your view or have distracting animation or pop-ups. If the ads help keep them in business, then I'm happy to have them serve them up.

It's pretty rare for me to ever respond to an unsolicited ad, but once in a blue moon I might see something that interests me that I might not have looked for on my own. And even the ones based on my search history have reminded me "Oh, I did mean to research that product some more". It's not all bad.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ad Block Plus here and I don't use the internet (or TV) for news. Actually, I don't care much about news issues that I have no control over.

As a retired person, I want to use my time to dwell on my own thoughts and not listen to stuff that may cause me stress. Therefore, 99% of the "news" is of no interest to me.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If I get a nice request to white list, I'll do it if I think the article may be of value to me. I'll leave them whitelisted as long as they don't have obnoxious ads that block your view or have distracting animation or pop-ups. If the ads help keep them in business, then I'm happy to have them serve them up.

It's pretty rare for me to ever respond to an unsolicited ad, but once in a blue moon I might see something that interests me that I might not have looked for on my own. And even the ones based on my search history have reminded me "Oh, I did mean to research that product some more". It's not all bad.

-ERD50
I get the part about ads help some sites stay in business.

However, I'm pretty strict about blocking. The main reason is I suppose either I have an add blocker or not. If I start letting every site that asks to install cookies or subscribe, pretty soon why have a blocker at all. I prefer the "get off my lawn" mentality, with the exception mentioned previously if I really want to read an article then okay, I'll let a site tag me for the article, then back to blocking.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am subscribed to sites I use often, and several of these are free.

I avoid news sites.

I did have to bring in an ad blocker on my iPad when I ran into trouble with rogue ads served by google on this site.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ghostery for me. Blocks zillions of adverts on websites.
I mute every TV commercial.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Most ‘free’ news sites are just click bait from the various median actors selling us outrage, divisive speculation and half truths. I avoid them.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #14

You might want to try these add-ons

Ghostery, uBlock Origin, Flash Block (Plus), and Disable HTML5 Autoplay on Firefox

Ghostery, uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Extra, Flash Block (Plus), Video Autoplay Blocker on Chrome

I also wipe cookies off both when closing webpages with Cookie AutoDelete since Click and Clean fell off the cliff.

With Ghostery - I only allow "Essentials" through in setup - block all others.

uBlock Origin has an anti adblocker (Reel) that you used to have to select, but believe it is standard feature now. Allows viewing on most sites that use the more common anti adblockers to keep you from reading their page. Some Websites use rather complicated blockers, but I just move on or try to source the info from other more flexible news websites.

I get fairly clean viewing (w/o the annoyances you mentioned) on both Firefox and Chrome with just these add-ons. FYI - Ghostery does break some webpages, but you can easily pause Ghostery to get around this issue. Our Credit Union website link to Bill Pay won't work with Ghostery active and pausing is easy work around.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ad Block Plus is great and I have used it in the past but I am not using it right now.

Lately I have been experimenting with the "reading view" available in the Edge browser that I use, as well as in several other browsers like Safari and Firefox. I think it is so cool. I read about this here on the ER Forum and it is great. No popups, no ads, no sudden loud videos.... I just click a button right next to the URL, on my browser, and magically I can just read, finally, at last. I think it is better than an ad blocker.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #16

I use uBlock Origin on all of my web browser installations. I also use Pi-hole on my home network. Between them, a lot of garbage is blocked on my devices. Website ads have been a common malware vector.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've mentioned Mercury Reader as a free program to show just the article being read... without ads, video's or sound.

It's a free program, and for me, it works flawlessly to block all ads, videos and sounds, and presents the article as a formatted easy to read page... as a page in a newspaper or a book.

I think it works faster and easier than "readability".

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...elpnlfdi?hl=en

If you've used it, do you see any downsides?
Old 12-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've used it imold, and it seems to work great.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty soon there will be an app to block the news and only watch the ads.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been experimenting with the Brave browser on my phone. So far it's much better at blocking ads than chrome+adblock.

tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote