Safe driving with coffee, a cellphone, and a chihuahua

At least he didn't hit someone else.

DD

Coffee, chihuahua, and a cell phone? Let's see - - if the chihuahua was in a pet cage, the cell phone turned off, and the coffee in a car mug, he would have been just fine.

But you see, his mama told him he was SPECIAL and didn't have to take the precautions other drivers normally take. :cool:

But you see, his mama told him he was SPECIAL and didn't have to take the precautions other drivers normally take. :cool:

Well said! I bet the guy didn't learn a single thing from this accident. Oh wait... He did learn about the power of prayer.

Seriously, I wonder if he should/would be prosecuted if someone was killed or hurt by his irresponsibility and ignorance?

Well said! I bet the guy didn't learn a single thing from this accident. Oh wait... He did learn about the power of prayer.

Seriously, I wonder if he should/would be prosecuted if someone was killed or hurt by his irresponsibility and ignorance?

He ought be charged with reckless endangerment at a minimum!!! STUPID PEOPLE do not deserve the privilege of driving.

C'mon folks, you're missing the obvious. All it would have taken to avoid this accident was a bigger dog...
Maybe...maybe not. Big dog knocks the coffee cup out of the guy's hand, spilling coffee into his lap, he drops the cell phone which gets wedged under the brake pedal...same result.

But for the "saving" power of his prayer - he could have competed for a Darwin Award

On one of my travels, I saw a woman using a curling iron while she drove. Thank heavens this guy wasn't using one...he would have had one heck of a burn...and not just on his head. :eek:

I wrote a ticket to some moron who had a book propped up on the steering wheel on an interstate. He got all offended. Some people will never get it.

what was the book title?

41oGJEDy8BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

"Unsafe at Any Speed"

'The airbags deployed and I prayed' | KATU.com - Portland, Oregon | News

Oh nononono. Just heard this on the news: Guy went off an embankment when his chihuahua got stuck under the brake pedal and he "also had a cup of coffee in one hand and a cell phone in the other to contend with".

Thanks to the power of prayer he survived, mkay?

Or just plain dumb luck.

This happened 2-3 miles from home here. The guy didn't just go off an embankment, he drove down a hill toward a bridge that was closed after being undermined by this year's high waters. The closure warnings are clearly posted, then there's a line of stand-up baracades, a cyclone fence, then a line of cement median barriers.

The truly amazing thing is this is the second time in a week this sort of thing has happened. Last week a drunk totaled his car after missing all the earlier warnings and ramming the cement barrier.

I have decided this bridge would be a great place for the next Gathering of the Lemmings.

Well, at least he didn't spill his coffee on his newspaper or laptop.

Prayer is not enough..

"Rabbi who hit, killed pedestrian gets two years deferred

Schwartz, the director of the West Seattle Torah Learning Center, was on his cellphone at the time, according to court testimony.

It was the second time Schwartz had struck someone with his car. The first time was in May 2005, when he struck Ilsa Govan, who was riding her bike along Interlaken Drive East. Schwartz's car crossed the lane and collided with her, she testified at the sentencing."

Feb 29, 2008
Local News | Rabbi who hit, killed pedestrian gets two years deferred | Seattle Times Newspaper

The other day I glanced over in the next lane and I saw a guy shaving and reading the newspaper while driving.

Made me so mad I almost dropped my mascara . . .

;)

How about "variations" of book or movie titles....

Instead of "Driving Miss Daisy" it would be "Driving Up Daisies".

You may not understand the fundamental differences in mental processing required for a cell phone conversation and the other momentary distractions you mentioned.
Talking on a cell phone is not just a "distraction", instead, it effectively removes the driver cognitively from the driving situation and that's why it's so dangerous. Cell phone talkers can hang the phone up and not be able to recall situations that occurred while they were conversing on the phone. That phenomenon does not occur with any of the other types of distractions possible. Cell phone talkers have - driven in front of trains, driven through stop signs and stop lights, driven into the backs of stopped cars, etc etc.
There is a good reason why the trend is to outlaw the use of cell phones while driving. Using hands free devices also does nothing to reduce the fundamental danger of driving while talking on cell phones because it does not deal with the cognitive impairment.

None of this is to say that the distractions you mentioned, and more, are not dangerous practices while driving either but they pale in comparison to cellphone talking. Talking on the cellphone can be and has been compared with DWI and that is because of the cognitive impairment.

Plagiarized from another forum but nicely stated to those who think its ok to drive while on a cell phone (thanks Midnite)

This is why sometimes you'll see a cell phone talker in the left lane going 50mph. They just don't realize it. And finally they'll notice and go 70 again. This is more than annoying, it causes a traffic situation that is dangerous to everyone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom