Safe Internet Day - Google

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Safer Internet Day - Google

Went through the security review that came up on the Google search page. All was ok, except for a VOIP site that I had approved six months ago. A VOIP phone number. The review program brought up a number of voice calls that were tied to my account... the VOIP account that had been cancelled.
Have no idea if this could have been a problem, but was good to see it and then delete the contact.
If all is OK, should take about 2-3 minutes... In my case forgot my Google recovery address, so it took about 10 minutes.
Probably a worthwhile exercise. :)

I looked at it. And if you're a fan of the Google/Android ecosystem the safer day exercise might be worthwhile - IOW it's totally Google self-serving.

I am no longer a fan of Google, as they aggressively mine more and more data from users. Nothing is ever really $ free. YMMV

Thanks for mentioning this. I do this routine on an irregular basis every couple of months or so, but it is nice to be reminded!

P.S. on edit, per midpack--especially since I am locked into this ecosystem as opposed to the other big one! :)

I looked at it. And if you're a fan of the Google/Android ecosystem the safer day exercise might be worthwhile - IOW it's totally Google self-serving.

I am no longer a fan of Google, as they aggressively mine more and more data from users. Nothing is ever really $ free. YMMV

So this 'service' is really an excuse for Google to poke around your computer under the guise of offering security checks?

Awesome...

So this 'service' is really an excuse for Google to poke around your computer under the guise of offering security checks?

Awesome...
I didn't mean it that way, the safer day deal is self-serving. If you look at each of the cards, each one is a plug for their various product/apps.

My data mining comment is broader. 85% of Google revenues come from advertising $, which comes from having users data. Most they use themselves, but they make quite a bit by selling "aggregate" data for others to use. Over the years Google has expanded the ways and the depths of user data they mine.

They got so aggressive on our Android phones, that we finally dumped them for iPhones. Apple isn't perfect, but they make their money primarily on hardware whereas Google makes their money primarily by tracking users for advertising.

"Do no evil" doesn't mean much at Google anymore...

"Free" on the internet has really started to come home to roost in the past few years, most users are giving away way more privacy/info than they realize, and it won't get any better IMO. Brave new world...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I ran it, and from what I saw, it just seemed to verify your recent log-ons, and then provided a list of apps that you have granted permissions to (side-note - how do you phrase that to avoid ending with a preposition? seems awkward any other way I can think of - ooops! I did it again!).

So if there was an app there that you didn't recognize, it could raise a flag. I had to check one I didn't recognize, but it was legit.

I didn't mean it that way, the safer day deal is self-serving. If you look at each of the cards, each one is a plug for their various product/apps.

"Do no evil" doesn't mean much at Google anymore...

"Free" on the internet has really started to come home to roost in the past few years, most users are giving away way more privacy/info than they realize, and it won't get any better IMO. Brave new world...

I guess I don't understand what is 'evil' about this? What bad thing is happening? What is it that I should be concerned about?

I've never got any advertising from google that I am aware of. I use an email app most of the time, I rarely log directly into gmail.

I generally use:

https://startpage.com/

rather than the google search page, just because I like it a bit better.

-ERD50

Last edited:
then provided a list of apps that you have granted permissions to (side-note - how do you phrase that to avoid ending with a preposition? seems awkward any other way I can think of - ooops! I did it again!).

Those kind of rules apply (if at all) to formal writing. This type of "talk" should more closely match spoken communication. After all, the goal is to quickly and efficiently express your thoughts.

See, for instance:

How language changes over time | Playlist | TED.com

I guess I don't understand what is 'evil' about this? What bad thing is happening? What is it that I should be concerned about?

I've never got any advertising from google that I am aware of. I use an email app most of the time, I rarely log directly into gmail.
There have been many articles on mainstream sites (not tinfoil hat sites) about the how Google's data mining has grown, and where it's all headed. They've also paid some pretty large fines for what most people would consider eavesdropping, also well documented. Just do a search and decide for yourself.

The odds that you haven't received "any advertising" that originated from Google's data are remote at best. But again, you'll have to decide if the "free" conveniences are worth exchanging for more and more of your personal info. Google is not alone by any means, but they're arguably leading the charge.

Last edited:
I'm immersed in Google... probaby because it serves almost all of my basic needs, under one umbrella.
-Google Chrome
-GMail - since it started
-Google Search - very satisfied with results, but haven't recently checked Bing or Ask etc.
-Google Talk - Google PLay-The only service I haven't used... comfortable with Skype
-Google News - the day's starting point.
-Google Drive - Most of my life is here in one form or another.
-Google translate- when needed
-Google shopping- Most of the time... especially on products I don't understand
Google Finance - regularly
-YouTube framework -
-Google Books- only for the free books
-Google blogger - Google photos - Wow... while poking around Google Plus, just rediscovered that I have a forgotten blogger page, filled with lots of photos... something I started and let-lie... gotta go back and see who I was then.
-Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Maps Pro
-Picasa and face recognition - on tens of thousands of pics.
-Google trends- Am finding more uses for this. Especially with world news.
-Google sheets- along with Google Drive
-Google Read Aloud
-Google voice recognition
-And of course Google android for my tablets.
and a dozen more helpers that are directed to creativity for business or pleasure..
So, yes... you might say totally invested.

I still have available Opera, Firefox, and IE, but have been with Google Chrome since its' 2008 Beta release.

I guess that if I'm compromised, then I'm all in!:(

As for ads... most of the time I use HostsMan... clickable for when it's necessary.

Last edited:
I also received the message today from Google and found a login from Texas that should not have been there. So, I changed my password. I was due anyway.

I was interested in Midpack comments since I have learned to respect Midpack's opinion and point of view. In terms of full disclosure, I have family at Google. But here is a 3rd party article from a few months ago. I do not know if there is bias in the article but I do not think so. For those who are not going to read it, the data collected by android and iOS is similar especially when the third party apps are considered. Google/Andorid appears to use the data more often since their penetration of apps seems to be deeper.

Overall, I think we all need to deal with the convenience of giving up our privacy and try to determine if this is the new normal or we maybe leading ourselves into a scary unknown place. I hope it is simply the new normal. https://gigaom.com/2014/09/19/so-apple-doesnt-collect-as-much-data-as-google-maybe-it-should/

I also received the message today from Google and found a login from Texas that should not have been there. So, I changed my password. I was due anyway.

I was interested in Midpack comments since I have learned to respect Midpack's opinion and point of view. In terms of full disclosure, I have family at Google. But here is a 3rd party article from a few months ago. I do not know if there is bias in the article but I do not think so. For those who are not going to read it, the data collected by android and iOS is similar especially when the third party apps are considered. Google/Andorid appears to use the data more often since their penetration of apps seems to be deeper.

Overall, I think we all need to deal with the convenience of giving up our privacy and try to determine if this is the new normal or we maybe leading ourselves into a scary unknown place. I hope it is simply the new normal. https://gigaom.com/2014/09/19/so-apple-doesnt-collect-as-much-data-as-google-maybe-it-should/
Putting any stock in my views is your first mistake, and the article link you provided offers plenty to think about.

I won't pretend this article Which is more evil, Google or Apple Inc.? - Fortune is the be-all & end-all either, there's more than one legitimate POV. But the poll below (of Forbes readers) is pretty current, and the results interesting IMO.

I used to support/prefer Google over Apple, but not any more after all the privacy lawsuits they've lost and paid fines for. Or the charges they are facing about wholesale eavesdropping with their mapping vehicles. Along with my Android phone experience, where Google just got more and more pushy - no longer offering users an option to refuse many apps/settings. See the quote below...something to think about.

Along with all the mobile conveniences we enjoy today, you have to have your wits about you more than ever.

For better or worse, Apple’s business model is built on the sale of high-end devices and Google’s on the sale of targeted advertising. Technically, in Benedict Evans’s formulation, this has Apple pushing innovation down the stack into hardware and software integration, where it’s hard for Google to follow. Meanwhile Google is pushing innovation up the stack into cloud-based artificial intelligence and machine-learning services, where Apple has a hard time going.

It also opens the gate for Apple to take high road on privacy and security. Google is stuck facing a new Internet mantra: “If you’re not paying for a product, you are the product.”

In a 2011 online poll that asked, Apple easily outpolled both competitors with 46% of the votes to Microsoft’s 15% and Google’s 10%. (Nearly 29% of respondents chose “They’re all as bad as each other.”)

Attachments

• Google poll.jpg
    Google poll.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom