Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"Safe Money" By Kaspersky??
Old 01-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Safe Money" By Kaspersky??

Does anyone here know about this software? DH just bought a new Dell from Costco, and it came with a download of Kaspersky anti-virus. He downloaded it, and in it is a section called "Safe Money, " which asked him to provide all our IDs and passwords for banks. It supposedly provides another level of security.

Frankly, I am not too keen on the idea, and I'd like to know from some of you professionals here whether you know anything about this part of the Kaspersky software that he downloaded as a result of this purchase.

Thanks.

Edit to add: DH says he doesn't have to give out IDs and PWs, just sites so that he can use a 'protected browser.'
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Have you tried a Google search to see what you can learn about the software?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #3

I have little doubt that the software is legit, but whether or not using it is a good idea is a whole different question. You're just moving the trust issue from one place to another. In fact there might be less protection from your bank(s) if you have moved (some or all of) your eggs into a basket of unknown sturdiness like this. Generally the banks will cover you against fraudulent use of your CC if it gets physically cloned at the gas station, but they may take a less charitable view if you put the number(s) into a computer storage facility. And if this software becomes popular, it will be an irresistible target for criminals.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Kaspersky anti-virus
Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Kaspersky anti-virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Frankly, I am not too keen on the idea, and I'd like to know from some of you professionals here whether you know anything about this part of the Kaspersky software that he downloaded as a result of this purchase.

Thanks.
I use Kaspersky Security, but stay away from their 'Safe Money' option. Here is why:

Safe Money definitely offers layers of protection for your online transactions, but you still need to be a bit careful.
Safe Money in Action - Kaspersky Internet Security (2013) Review & Rating | PCMag.com
Old 01-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #5

kaspersky is one of the better AV software products. Typically ranks high in the ratings

AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Jul/Aug 2013

I haven't used the "safe money" product. It's an added security feature for financial sites

Kaspersky Adding 'Safe Money' To Security, Anti-Virus Apps

Be aware most of the preloaded junkware on a new PC is trial/adware.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote