Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I liked hearing the Who. I saw them live back in the summer of 1969 (I think? back in the mists of time) at the Fillmore West in SF...practically a religious experience
OK, so you saw the Who and you told us when, where, and what - but you left out why and how...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK, so you saw the Who and you told us when, where, and what - but you left out why and how...
Well because my friends said I would never forgive myself if I didn't go with them, and by hitchhiking over there since none of us had a car, and borrowing money for admission from my (same) friends.... (But Who are the Who? That was always an enigma wrapped in a riddle and so on.)

I also forgot to mention that they said it was the first time they had ever performed the rock opera "Tommy". They sang the chorus over and over again until after 3 AM, despite union efforts to get them off the stage and close down. Nobody left. Boy was the air thick by then.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Great game and glad to see the Saints win. Same division as my Bucs so I was rooting for them. W2R, you are so happy and I'm happy for you. Does this mean you might change your mind about Kansas City?
Well, it was Springfield, Missouri, not Kansas City....

We still want to move there, but the housing market here isn't all that great so we are planning to wait for a year or two.

New Orleans DOES seem a lot better now than it did before the game. It still has the same problems, but that old saying that we are always at the bottom of all the good lists and at the top of all the bad lists, just isn't true any more. At least there is a little hope for the city. (I can almost hear Frank saying, "Yeah, precious little hope!!!" )

We still plan to move.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
New Orleans DOES seem a lot better now than it did before the game. It still has the same problems, but that old saying that we are always at the bottom of all the good lists and at the top of all the bad lists, just isn't true any more. At least there is a little hope for the city. (I can almost hear Frank saying, "Yeah, precious little hope!!!" )

Don't forget, you have this man protecting you.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Don't forget, you have this man protecting you.

Yeah, well I will need Steven Seagal and all of his cousins as bodyguards if I am going to feel safe enough to run down to the grocery store at night, here. And I don't think that even Seagal can protect us if we have a Katrina II type levee seawall failure again.

But at least people are bending their minds around the idea of associating excellence with New Orleans. Whatta concept.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But at least people are bending their minds around the idea of associating excellence with New Orleans. Whatta concept.
New Orleans has always been known for excellent food, and excellent parties. Pretty much everybody at my Superbowl party thought that the French Quarter this next week would be the best place for partying anywhere in the world.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
New Orleans has always been known for excellent food, and excellent parties. Pretty much everybody at my Superbowl party thought that the French Quarter this next week would be the best place for partying anywhere in the world.
True. I guess I meant excellence in something different from our usual, often hedonistic strengths such as food, music, and partying. Perhaps something that could add to a more solid, diversified base to the local economy than tourism provides.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It would also explain why hell the mid-Atlantic coast has frozen over this weekend...
Careful Nords....the mods might send this one over to the "political" threads. That was always an inside joke for Saints fans and I'm impressed that it got all the way to the Islands.
Just for the record though.......Good one Nords!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Great game! IMHO the Who were not that great. I loved them back in the day but there comes a time to hang up the microphone.
I also have always been a WHO fan but I felt embarrassed for them on the stage. Since this is a "retirement forum" we ought to send them an invitation to join us. They should RE.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #50

I pulled for the Saints all the way.
I kept telling the wife, they got to win it for UncleMick
Happy it turn out good for all the Saints fans on the forum.
Steve
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
I also have always been a WHO fan but I felt embarrassed for them on the stage. Since this is a "retirement forum" we ought to send them an invitation to join us. They should RE.
I was goofing off on the forum when they started to play. My DH said, "Ooooh, c'mere!" We both watched for a few minutes and I said, "What happened to them?"

He looked at me and exclaimed, "They're OLD!"

Ahhh yeah...it's a shame.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Pete Townshead will be 65 in May, and the others aren't far behind. I was guessing that he was 70. So I think they are too late to join this forum since we are an "Early" retirement forum. But I'd be cool with cutting them some slack and having them as members.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, we're old, but Peter Townshend will always be cool. I don't think he and Daltry perform much (unlike some of the others of "my generation") so considering that, they sounded okay and it was great to see them enjoying themselves.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True. I guess I meant excellence in something different from our usual, often hedonistic strengths such as food, music, and partying. Perhaps something that could add to a more solid, diversified base to the local economy than tourism provides.
You mean that excellence in creative excuses from your politicians, to explain their corruption, incompetence, and generally cluelessness doesn't count? Although, lately I think that Illinois politician have been given the LA politicians a run for their money.

I saw a couple of local NO sportscasters on the Newshour. They pretty much have elevated the entire team to Sainthood, and I'm expecting the Pope to arrive any day to canonize Drew Brees, only one miracle to go to right?. Still the civic pride was evident and well deserved to all in NO.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Brees did well during the game but truly excelled post game...... well spoken, modest...... you really have to be happy for him. He had a rough road between Purdue and the Super Bowl but hopefully this is the beginning of good times.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

Some ads were good, the Bud light lost parody one for instance Or the "Good day to be an american but also a bad day to be a chicken" commercial from Denny
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Let's do a little more partying this morning.

Congrats Saints fans!!!!!!! Enjoy the party.

Is there any room to jump on the band wagon?

Free to canoe
Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Brees did well during the game but truly excelled post game...... well spoken, modest...... you really have to be happy for him. He had a rough road between Purdue and the Super Bowl but hopefully this is the beginning of good times.
Yep. He's pure class.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

When I saw The Who, I thought maybe it was these guys:

The guitarist especially had that "Old guy being hip" feel.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also thought it was embarrassing for the Who. Wear longer shirts so that belly doesn't get exposed.

I love the group Jethro Tull. The last time I saw them, I wished that I had not seen them and remembered them the way they were when I had seen them previously. There definitely comes a time to hang it up.

On a different note, W2R, you shocked me that you ever hitchhiked. I have done so many times in the distant past, but never thought of you as a person who would do so. Going to see the Who and the air being thick, hmm, puts you in a different perspective. There are quite a few people I know who would be quite shocked to know what I was like when I was younger. Oh for the good old days!