Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Dirt is one thing, Salmonella is completely different. Till your in the bathroom for 2 days and hospitalized for 3 more you really can't appreciate what can happen from eating a little "dirt".

Eating a little Salmonella doesn't build up a resistance or make you stronger. But if you like to try please post your results.
And that's what worries me about this condensation issue. Some of the worst cases of food poisoning come from "drip drip" kind of issues. One that comes to mind is the peanut butter salmonella outbreak due to a leaky roof.

I made a bit of light of the dirty tongs and pee in the pool. But, yeah, you are right, salmonella is not to be messed with. Dripping water in a cooler, or storing chicken above vegetables are not to be messed with.

Still, we all have to live. I choose to not live in a cocoon. To each their own.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #22

If you see something, say something. Still, serious food poisoning is relatively rare - which is why it's such big news when it happens. The only way to stop the issues of food "bars" is to ban them. I don't think the cure is worth the disease.

Having said this, I inspect food bars and watch "behavior" before I partake. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still safer than what I see at some family picnic get togethers. Not that that is an endorsement.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
Still safer than what I see at some family picnic get togethers. Not that that is an endorsement.
Or the seat in the grocery cart, at the grocery store. That is where the kids in diapers sit, and most people put food on the seat if they do not have kids riding in the cart.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Or the seat in the grocery cart, at the grocery store. That is where the kids in diapers sit, and most people put food on the seat if they do not have kids riding in the cart.
^This. I am not a big fan of buffets (the only time I *thought* I might have had food poisoning was after eating from a salad bar in Spain) but I will eat at them on occasion. Every one knows that lots of people get sick from eating stuff they buy and prepare themselves, right? I would guess that about 75% of personal kitchens would FAIL most health inspections.

And nasty? How about the table tray on an airplane (or ANY interior surface of an airplane/bus). Or the TV remote control in a hotel. Or ANY cell phone. Bottom line...the world is NASTY...so WASH YOUR HANDS!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #26

This is why they invented Clorox travel wipes, don't leave home without them!
Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This is why they invented Clorox travel wipes, don't leave home without them!
We recently went on a 32 day cruise, and were really concerned about Noro Virus. When we were taken to our stateroom, the first thing we did was to spray the door handle. We then went into the room, and sprayed the telephone, remote control, drawer handles, and the entire bathroom. This may sound like overkill, but we did not come down with anything
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Yup. I never put food in the grocery cart seat.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

OMG. I knew this thread would go off the deep end. You cannot live in bubble, well maybe you can try. I am more in the group that believes if it does not kill you it will make you stronger, except for bears, bears can kill you.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Think of it as "thinning the herd."
Old 06-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We recently went on a 32 day cruise, and were really concerned about Noro Virus. When we were taken to our stateroom, the first thing we did was to spray the door handle. We then went into the room, and sprayed the telephone, remote control, drawer handles, and the entire bathroom. This may sound like overkill, but we did not come down with anything
I'm immuno-compromised so I have to be careful and diligent, and I am. I bring plenty of alcohol wipes every vacation, and go through this same ritual. I also wipe down the airplane tray, seat belt, light switch - anything that someone else likely touched. I use a napkin to hold the salt or ketchup, and last thing I do before I start to eat is use hand sanitizer.
I figure I am at least bettering my odds. FWIW, I have never gotten sick on (or afterward) our annual cruise vacation, or our hotel-style vacations.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #32

The "deep end" well there are quite a few things that won't actually kill you, however they might make you wish you were dead to put you out of your misery.

My DH is on a pretty decent dose of beta-blockers and a few days of bad stomach or food poisoning wouldn't be a good thing.

When I'm paying several hundred dollars a day to be on a nice travel trip you bet I'm am going to take a few simple precautions to stay well. I sure don't consider that "living in a bubble".