Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sales Tax on internet portion cell phone bill
Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Sales Tax on internet portion cell phone bill

Are you charged sales tax on your cell phone internet access? I am, but not sure if it is correct to be charged. Just wondering what others see. I am with Consumer Cellular and it is billed separately, so much for minutes and so much for DATA.
They also charge me for my city franchise fee, but I'm pretty sure that is also wrong, and should only be on the voice portion. The sales tax is 8.85% and the Franchise fee is 5%. So for me it is an extra 13.85%.
__________________

__________________
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 639
I'm with AT&T in Houston area. My bill has City and State sales tax listed as general charges on the bill.
__________________

__________________
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Is your phone and data 1 rate or separate?Like 25 for voice 30 for Data? Does the tax equal your sales tax rate times your entire bill? Or just the phone (voice) part?
__________________
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 903
There's a whole bunch of franchise and excise taxes and fees but as far as I'm aware, the data portion does not get taxed in Los Angeles, CA. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be taxed anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Tax_Freedom_Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perman...ax_Freedom_Act
__________________
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Is your phone and data 1 rate or separate?Like 25 for voice 30 for Data? Does the tax equal your sales tax rate times your entire bill? Or just the phone (voice) part?
Phone and data are package deal for us. Bill doesn't show the tax rate, just the amount. Just a package amount and bunch of goobledygoop fees and charges.
Example: on one of the phones:
The package cost is $65 for the package, the total cost is $72.39. Of this, the government fees and taxes are:
911 service = 0.50
911 Equalization charge = 0.06
City District Sales Tax = 0.11
City Sales Tax = 0.19
Texas State Sales Tax = 0.95
Texas State Sales Tax - Telecom = 1.79
The remaining charges are more surcharges and fees that make little to no sense unless you research them on the internet.
__________________
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
Phone and data are package deal for us. Bill doesn't show the tax rate, just the amount. Just a package amount and bunch of goobledygoop fees and charges.
Example: on one of the phones:
The package cost is $65 for the package, the total cost is $72.39. Of this, the government fees and taxes are:
911 service = 0.50
911 Equalization charge = 0.06
City District Sales Tax = 0.11
City Sales Tax = 0.19
Texas State Sales Tax = 0.95
Texas State Sales Tax - Telecom = 1.79
The remaining charges are more surcharges and fees that make little to no sense unless you research them on the internet.
So you paid $3.04 sales tax on $65 or 4.68%.
When you shop in the same town you live, what is the sales tax rate you pay? If a lot higher, you are probability not taxed on the entire $65
__________________
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:50 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
the government fees and taxes are:
911 service = 0.50
911 Equalization charge = 0.06
City District Sales Tax = 0.11
City Sales Tax = 0.19
Texas State Sales Tax = 0.95
Texas State Sales Tax - Telecom = 1.79
The remaining charges are more surcharges and fees that make little to no sense unless you research them on the internet.
One day I tallied the state/local tax on all my minor purchases for that day: Coffee/donuts, a few things at Home Depot, gas, newspaper, something at Target, lunch at a diner.

I was amazed at the 'daily tax'....about $9 a day ($3,000 a year) just on everyday stuff.
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
So you paid $3.04 sales tax on $65 or 4.68%.
When you shop in the same town you live, what is the sales tax rate you pay? If a lot higher, you are probability not taxed on the entire $65
Good point. Sales tax in texas is 6.25%, in my city is 8.25% so not taxed on entire amount.
__________________
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
I'd love to find others who are not charged sales tax on internet, hopefully someone whose bill is a separate charge for talk and separate portion for Data.
I live in Missouri, but other states might help.
__________________
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
I've been trading e-mails with the MO Dept of Revenue, and they said since it is called web data it is taxable, but if it was called internet access it would be tax free. Does that sound like BS to anyone besides me. There is a Fed law that bans taxes on internet access. This could be many million dollars in taxes we are all paying .
__________________
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I've been trading e-mails with the MO Dept of Revenue, and they said since it is called web data it is taxable, but if it was called internet access it would be tax free. Does that sound like BS to anyone besides me. There is a Fed law that bans taxes on internet access. This could be many million dollars in taxes we are all paying .
That's BS.

For what it's worth, our family is on AT&T's Mobile Share Value Plan with the following breakdown:

$100 Base 20GB
$60 Smartphone Line Access Fee x4
$10 Tablet Line Access Fee (Data Only)

Going through my bill, we're only taxed on the $60 ($15*4) smartphone line access fee. Total government fees, surcharge and taxes is $2.82 per phone line. The $10 tablet line isn't taxed nor is the $100 20GB plan. Taxes are actually one thing that went down on the cellphone bill when we switched from the old style minutes-based plan to the data-based Mobile Share plan. On the old minutes plan, we were paying $5-15 per line on taxes.
__________________
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
What state are you?
__________________
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
What state are you?
Post #4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
There's a whole bunch of franchise and excise taxes and fees but as far as I'm aware, the data portion does not get taxed in Los Angeles, CA. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be taxed anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Tax_Freedom_Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perman...ax_Freedom_Act
__________________
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Sorry,
I did not realize you had posted earlier.
__________________

__________________
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best place to get a cell phone / cell phone plan? bank5 Other topics 4 09-18-2009 06:01 AM
Wireless internet through cell phone provider maddythebeagle Other topics 9 01-28-2008 06:26 PM
Can you live with OUT cell phone, high speed internet and cable TV? Enuff2Eat FIRE and Money 54 05-21-2007 05:28 AM
Wow, $1067 bill on cell phone OldAgePensioner Other topics 24 07-04-2006 03:58 PM
Replacing The Landbased Phone With a Cell Phone Danny Other topics 12 11-04-2005 07:12 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.