Join Early Retirement Today

Salesman ER's to go to the ball game
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Salesman ER's to go to the ball game

South Carolina dad quits job to see son pitch at College World Series - Big League Stew - MLB*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

He was 57, and his son was pitching in the NCAA World Series. Pretty cool story.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nice to see a guy who has his priorities straight!

Nearly 3000 comments in under 19 hours. Impressive.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very nice story. I took a weekend trip to visit my daughter for Father's day who recently took a job in the DC area. I have the time now and she is just starting her career. My return flight was cancelled and I was happy I got to spend an extra day with her.

I think that it was probably one of my best Father's days. I am sure that it is one that I will not forget.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bet he gets rehired fast.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Bet he gets rehired fast.
He is a celebrity now. Plus the whole thing makes the dealer look kinda like a hard case Scrooge.

At first glance, this is one of those half told stories that makes it sound like a David/Goliath act because of a father's desire to see his kid do good... and not doubt, that part is probably true. I would want to see the game too!

But you gotta wonder about (as Paul Harvey would say) the rest of the story....

Who knows what happened or how it escalated to "I Quit".

I would find it very hard to believe that a dealer would let a star salesman slip away over a few days of time off with no pay... even if it escalated to a bit of a dispute. For that matter lose a salesperson making relatively strong numbers on a regular basis. It is hard find good sales people. While personalities can come into play... for most sales managers and dealers... it is about the business. And capable people are key to the business.

On the other side of the coin... If he was knocking down $150k/yr... that type of decision might be a little more difficult. But if it was $15K/yr.... well. That is easy to replace.

There has to be more to that story!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post

There has to be more to that story!
Yeah, it probably turns out he has been missing days right and left and the head of sales was fed up or something like that. "My kid has a championship game" sounds like more BS so he calls him on it. If that is the case, unfortunately for the dealer the kid did have a championship.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice story, wonder about the details behind the published article.

It's not like it was a surprise his son was pitching, there was always the potential to be out of town for a championship game.

I would of thought with a little planning, he could of swamped shifts/weekend with someone or go unpaid for the time.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yea... I wonder about the other side of the story also....

We used to have a guy here who took off a LOT of time to drive his kids around to play little league ball... I think they were in a few leagues and on some good teams... not sure how good they were, but they seemed to win tournaments...

However, he would not come in on various Mondays as he was to tired from the weekend.... he did not come in early or stay late to make up the time when he came in late or left early... he was warned many times... and then called on a Monday saying he was not going to come in because of yadda yadda yadda.... he was let go....

Now, if the guy had shown that he was a good employee that deserved some time off... he would have gotten it.... our boss is pretty good in that respect...

I have seen the other side of something not said.... I wonder if this could be the same here....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote