Join Early Retirement Today

Samsung S6
Old 05-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Samsung S6

My old phone died and I recently picked up a new S6. I'm getting frustrated as all get out on the thing. It's a minor annoyance for some, but as an ER, I don't find it funny at all. I figured this group would see the irony.

Somehow in Google maps I dropped a pin on a location. The $@%€ŁĄ₩ phone decided on its own that location is called "Work" every time I open up Google it displays how far away and the time it takes me to get to Work. I haven't worked in 2 years (heck my retirement date just passed).

I've looked online and a lot of people are complaining about this. I've done everything suggested online, still won't go away or change. I'm going to take it back and ask how the hell do you get rid of an offensively named location!

That and the auto correct is driving me nuts, seems to change words well after they're typed. Past those two annoying things it seems to be pretty decent.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's funny. I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and I was getting the same sorts of notifications without having done anything. It had decided that my regular "commute" to where I go running (a 12 minute trip from my front door) was my work commute. It would remind me when it was time to go to work, ha ha. I never paid much attention, but I have not noticed this since I upgraded to Android 5 a few weeks ago.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

I wonder if Google locations might be auto-naming your frequent routes.

Have you tried going into Settings...Locations...and unclicking "Location and Google Search"?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, but made no difference. Actually this is a route I hardly ever travel.

🐑
Old 05-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I seem to remember this happening on the Google app using my tablet. So maybe not a Samsung issue. I've noticed that some Google apps assume one will tinker a lot to figure out the user interface.

Did you try a Google forum?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Well there was a google level 2 guy handing out suggestions. I couldn't find anywhere where anyone said that fixed my issue.

I may just limit the scope to a google forum. Good idea.

🐑
Old 05-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I wonder if Google locations might be auto-naming your frequent routes.

Have you tried going into Settings...Locations...and unclicking "Location and Google Search"?

omni
Well 8 hours later it did go away. That was the only configuration change I made. Now I won't claim success just yet as I had it disappear for a day before.

I did find a battery hog "cell standby" was far and above the #1 battery consumer. Fixed with Settings>Mobile. network> Mobile data>enhanced 4g(turn off). This is att, verizion has a different way to do it(at least what I read). Someone suggested this was an so(Whoops auto correct changed OS to so) bug.

🐑
Old 05-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
That and the auto correct is driving me nuts, seems to change words well after they're typed. Past those two annoying things it seems to be pretty decent.
I was scratching my head over all these internet 'jokes' about people having ridiculous auto-corrections in their replies. I'm thinking, don't they need to approve the correction (like on my computer - you get suggestions of correction, and then you choose one). Until I realized that the default for some phones/tablets is to just auto-correct w/o any feedback at all. That seemed crazy to me, no, it is crazy!

Anyhow - simple solution. Just go into settings / keyboard & input / and turn off auto-correct. I still get the suggestions, but I am in control of using them or not. Sensible, no?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Sensible yes, first test seems to work. I had to get there a little different on the S6 but I could find it. Not sure its giving any suggestions now. But I'll play with it. Seems like there's some extra config options. Thanks ERD50.

🐑
Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #10

For the auto-correct problem, just install a different keyboard. There are zillions available so you should find one that's suitable for you.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thank you. I knew you could do that, never questioned why.

🐑
Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Thank you. I knew you could do that, never questioned why.
FYI, on my android tablet, I'm using SwiftKey, and I LOVE it.

It is very configurable. And you don't need to 'swype' to use it, that works great, but single letters work just as well, and you can seamlessly move between the two modes (or voice).

The only auto-correct I have set is to Auto Capitalize a new sentence (it still gives suggestions, I tap them to accept, rather than letting it decide).

And best of all - it allows you to have a numeric keypad, and CURSOR KEYS! I hate that on the iPad, there is no backspace key, just delete. To go back a bit, you have to do that tweak-y select thing, and I have trouble getting just where I want, or I end up selecting the whole word or something.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #13

Thanks! Good to know about Swiftkey. I have Swype on my ancient galaxy S2 and love that method of entry. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. Hard for me to believe that until recently, the iPhone had NO choice of keyboard.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Thanks ERD50,
That sounds like a great keyboard.

🐑