San Diego Advice

Sheryl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone able to give recommendations for a nice but affordable (<$200) hotel for next weekend? We are getting a freebie for Wed/Thurs, but assume we will want to go somewhere better for Fri/Sat.

I'm not too familiar with all the areas, but stayed on the bay side of Mission Bay and loved that -seems to be all condos tho.

Is there anything nice in the Old Town area? Near Balboa Park?

Any advice would be appreciated!

It's been a while since I've been there, but the Hotel del Coronado is pretty nice. Hotels.com says rates are from $231/night, so it might be a bit pricey.

try priceline.com - put in the area and the price that you are willing to pay.

I enjoyed Hotel La Jolla several times although it's been 2 or 3 years since I stayed there (858-459-0261... hope that number is still accurate).  The rate was below $200.  Rates may have increased though.  Every room has a nice view of the ocean (the higher the floor the better for views).  The hotel itself is a quarter mile or so from the beach.  Just a few minutes west of I-5.

I've had mixed results on priceline when staying in downtown SD.  If you're not familiar with priceline, basically you choose an area of the city, bid a price and, if they find a room at that rate they select the hotel for you.  For downtown area I've gotten the Westin (good one!), Sheraton near airport (good) and the Radisson (fair).  All were less than $120.  Again, hotel rates have gone up lately and maybe those deals aren't available anymore.  Balboa Park is a very short drive north of downtown. 

I've never stayed at a hotel in Old Town.  There are quite a few hotels in Mission Valley along I-8.  One of the roads with lots of hotels on it is actually called Hotel Circle. 

You might also try the Sorrento Mesa area.  Lots of high tech offices there.  Courtyard by Marriott and others that cater to biz traveler may have weekend deals.  A little north of tourist attractions but only a ten or fifteen minute drive to get to Old Town and other attractions.

Take a look at Balboa Park Inn (search).  It's walking distance to the Zoo and Balboa Park.  It's a mile from the downtown Gaslamp district and a mile in the other direction from restaurants and shops in the Hillcrest area.  I've never stayed there, but would if I ever needed a Hotel locally.  It looks quite quaint and romantic and I'm pretty sure its under $200/day.   

Thanks for the ideas.   I looked at Balboa Park Inn on line, too.  I liked the look of it, and the search I used said it had a pool, but it's own website doesn't mention it.  Even though it's February I was hoping to have some pool lounging time.  We will be those crazy northerners who think its summer when all the locals are wearing sweaters.

I considered doing the Hotel Del Cornado but it was not availalbe. Thanks again - appreciate all the ideas.

Back
Top Bottom