Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #21

Everyone stay safe. +1 on storing water. Sometimes a washcloth over the drain helps offset a slow leak in the bathtub. A washing machine is also useful for storing water, along with all the kitchen pots and pans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Funny Purron!
+1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A piece of thin plastic, or double layer of shopping bag over the drain, then a 2 or 2 1/2" "o" ring, needs to be slightly larger than the built in drain hole, over the plastic sheet, weighed down with a brick or other heavy item will seal the drain. The tub's built in drain usually is fairly leaky.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #23

Boy is "Sandy" slow! The ground is already saturated and it technically is not here yet. We are in the cone as it moves up the coast. We are also in the cone when it makes it's left jag.
Rain since yesterday with breezy conditions... So far no problems.
But then...we are 60 miles inland. More concerned for those in the middle of the cone when it makes it's left jag slamming right into the coast up around Delaware, Baltimore, New York and N.J. Stay safe everyone!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #24

Amethyst,

A flat drain plug (often used by travelers to plug hotel sinks to do hand washing) would prevent your tub draining issues.

Here's a picture Replacement and repair tub, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, basin drain stoppers, plugs

Hope the storm effects are minimal.

omni
Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #25

Purron, nice weather map and I love that clip from Ghostbusters especially Murray's line about "Dogs and cats living together!" LOL

What is saturated around here so far is the unending media coverage this morning. I like to watch the Sunday morning talking head shows (I am a political junkie) but they all got chopped into pieces with boring news conferences by NYC Mayor Bloomberg and other local officials.

But I am sure I speak for my fellow early retirees who are all glad we don't have to try to trek to work tomorrow during bad weather. As long as I have enough light, I can cuddle up and read a book.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Water Bob
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #26

Water Bob

A method of storing water in a bathtub.
WaterBOB®: emergency drinking water storage
Old 10-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally, after living in the NorthEast for 55 years, broke down and bought a generator last fall. We should be good to go.

I do feel for you, though, Amethyst. We went through one 3-day outage many years ago (different house) that had well water and electric pump. Filling the bathtub works just so long.....then you really want your running water back. Good Luck!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like a huge storm indeed! I hope your power grid has minimal damage. One time, after a snow storm, the power was off for two weeks! Thankfully, we used showers, washing machines, etc. of near-by relatives. Bottom line is this: I hope all you all stay safe and sound
Old 10-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"But... but... but what if people can't vote because of the hurricane?!?"

and you know the Secret Service is thinking:
"Crap. Both of these yahoos are going to want to stroll through the wreckage consoling voters in front of the photographers..."
Oh Nords, you don't really think politicians would do something like this, do you?

My concern is for those pollsters and political callers that call DH and I about 10 times a day. What ever will they do if the phone lines go down?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

It seems to me that for people with a well, a portable generator would solve both problems of water and electricity, no?

I wonder what size generator one would need to run a well pump. I have heard of pumps with power higher than 2HP, but I guess that depends on the depth of the well.

About storing water in the bathtub, that WaterBOB looks cool. Else, wouldn't a bit of chewing gum help seal the drain plug?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #31

A well pump is usually hardwired to the panel, so powering it from a generator is more than unplugging the pump from one outlet and into another.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The task of rewiring wouldn't faze many posters here, but I guess not everybody is as handy. Oh well.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I think the pump is hard-wired to the panel. Even if it did happen to be plugged in somewhere, we would need to run a line from the garage (the only conceivable place to run a generator) through the house, down the stairs into the basement, around 150 feet, leaving at least 2 doors open (or drilling holes into them?)

After this summer's derecho, we investigated a whole-house generator but the cost and difficulty of installation were daunting. Essentially, we just have to take things as they come. Not everything in life has a tidy solution, I guess.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It seems to me that for people with a well, a portable generator would solve both problems of water and electricity, no?

I wonder what size generator one would need to run a well pump. I have heard of pumps with power higher than 2HP, but I guess that depends on the depth of the well.

About storing water in the bathtub, that WaterBOB looks cool. Else, wouldn't a bit of chewing gum help seal the drain plug?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Stocked with water, food, wine, batteries, wood, etc. We're ready for the hurricane or the zombie apocalypse, whichever comes first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zombie cat.jpg (100.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think the pump is hard-wired to the panel. Even if it did happen to be plugged in somewhere, we would need to run a line from the garage (the only conceivable place to run a generator) through the house, down the stairs into the basement, around 150 feet, leaving at least 2 doors open (or drilling holes into them?)

After this summer's derecho, we investigated a whole-house generator but the cost and difficulty of installation were daunting. Essentially, we just have to take things as they come. Not everything in life has a tidy solution, I guess.

Amethyst
You can buy one of these for about $200. I installed it myself (like wiring up a light switch multiple times) or have an electrician install it for you. Then you just plug the generator into this panel or a plug on the outside of your home.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I am front row for Sandy, I can say where cause I am not supposed to be here,
8 gallons of water on counter, bathtub 1/2 full, 4 (5) gal buckets for flushing.

I have a 3,000 watt generator for lights, tv & fridge. This took nearly 2 hours to fill tank, reconnect wires jarred loose, drain tank, pull carb, disassemble, clean, reassemble, new plug. Second pull she ran. No bad for a 25 yo former construction genset with light usage. I am on the highest part of the island and the storm surge with full moon should not approach this area.

Hopefully all affected with this storm will make it thru without huge problems.

I forgot the beer, wine, food we have for the three of us. We have neighbors who, like us will share the effort to get thru the storm.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #37

Thinking ahead...
If this storm is only half as strong as predicted, the total cost could easily double that of Katrina AND Irene... perhaps more.

Imagine 10 million people without electricity with a cold front and a snowstorm moving in.

Am wondering the effect on the Insurance industry. Though I don't understand the matter of liquidity, the thought of up to 30 million people being affected in some way is quite daunting. The scope of affect is almost inconceivable.

As a side note, to show the effect of thousands of flight cancellations, NBC news showed a graphic map of the US, with tiny planes overlaid on it, representing the thousands of planes in the air at the current time (Sunday evening) How many stranded fliers?. 10,000 flight cancellations due by Monday. If the news reports are correct, large parts of cities, like Fairfield Ct. are being evacuated, including 450,000 persons in the low lying parts of NYC. All of the NYC Transportation System is being halted... for at least two days. Subways and Busses, and the Amtrack Rail corridor is also being shut down. Reservoir being drained to offset storm surge...

The economic hurt will fill the news for the coming year.

Let's hope the forecasters are very, very wrong...
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #38
Administrator

We survived a direct hit from Hurricane Irene last year, followed by the Halloween snowstorm. I'm fairly confident that things will be fine. Here on the Connecticut shore, our biggest problem will be the storm surge. The National Hurricane Center shows a 10% chance of a surge exceeding 9-11 feet, as the water gets pushed into Long Island Sound by the east wind. Since my house is about 25 feet above the harbor, I'm not that worried personally, but parts of our town most certainly will be underwater. I'm also not all that worried about losing power, since we have prepared well for it. My biggest concern is the giant maple trees that surround the house. The leaves have not yet dropped from many of them and they will be buffeted by the high winds.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Holy cow, if we still lived in NJ, I would be packing DW, the kids and the dogs into the camper and telling them to split 500 miles west on I80 (Cleveland, ho! while I hunkered down to deal with the mess. Since we have moved, I was worried about mom and dad. Dad is stranded in Las Vegas (he is crushed, uh-huh), and mom is visiting my older sister in New England (not totally out of the woods, but well away from the direct hit their house will take).

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like there's a lot of concern about saturated soil, loose tree roots, and sustained winds pushing the trees toward the nearest power lines. I don't suppose there's any easy way to support the tree with 4"x4" lumber or cables or other scaffolding.

WaterBOB is very popular in Hawaii, but you can also lay a small square of plastic wrap over the drain and fiddle with the drain until the plastic is sucked down on it to seal the leak.

Most water heaters have a drain valve on the bottom for obtaining potable water. The challenge is getting a hose & bucket set up to drain the tank without soaking the floor.

If you're desperate for water then you can go to the lowest faucet in the house, set up a bucket, and open the faucet. Then go to the highest faucet in the house, open that faucet, and scamper back to monitor the bucket until the line is drained. Repeat for both hot & cold water lines.

I don't care to relive the experiences that led to that knowledge.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote