Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Sounds like there's a lot of concern about saturated soil, loose tree roots, and sustained winds pushing the trees toward the nearest power lines. I don't suppose there's any easy way to support the tree with 4"x4" lumber or cables or other scaffolding.

WaterBOB is very popular in Hawaii, but you can also lay a small square of plastic wrap over the drain and fiddle with the drain until the plastic is sucked down on it to seal the leak.

Most water heaters have a drain valve on the bottom for obtaining potable water. The challenge is getting a hose & bucket set up to drain the tank without soaking the floor.

If you're desperate for water then you can go to the lowest faucet in the house, set up a bucket, and open the faucet. Then go to the highest faucet in the house, open that faucet, and scamper back to monitor the bucket until the line is drained. Repeat for both hot & cold water lines.

I don't care to relive the experiences that led to that knowledge.
You can also turn water into potable water by a brief boil and the addition of a few drops of chlorine bleach. Google is your friend for the dosage.

After Katrina I decided to buy a katadyn hiker style water filter. You can turn non=potable water into drinkable pretty easily wuth something like that.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

The WSJ just announced that US stock and options markets will be closed tomorrow due to the storm. Earlier, just a partial closure had been envisioned.

Maybe on Tuesday, too.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The WSJ just announced that US stock and options markets will be closed tomorrow due to the storm. Earlier, just a partial closure had been envisioned.
Maybe on Tuesday, too.
Sounds like a triumph of safety over testosterone poisoning-- or storm speculation.

I'm glad we're passing up the chance for a little extra volatility excitement. We'll let the overseas markets supply that.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This storm could be historic. Live tracker here : Hurricane Tracker: View the 2012 storms - Weather | NBC News
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You can buy one of these for about $200. I installed it myself (like wiring up a light switch multiple times) or have an electrician install it for you. Then you just plug the generator into this panel or a plug on the outside of your home.
That's exactly what I have here. I bought the generator after an ice storm in the old house left us without power for four days. DW was a trooper about it, but I learned that living with a woman who can't have her morning coffee and a hair dryer can be trying.

DW just left to get her father who will be staying with us for a couple of days. Right now it's just light/medium rain and almost no wind. Peak wind/rain is forecast for 0200 tonight.

And although I'd rather not find out the details of what is covered, we do have hurricane insurance.

Dagnabit, this is WEST VIRGINIA! We're not supposed to get hurricanes! Who changed the rules?

Obviously, I might be offline for a while.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I am sitting in the living room of my weekend house (tidal Potomac) looking north at waves and wind. My neighbor has a long dock and the waves are nearly reaching the decking at low tide. High tide is 3:11 PM - if the wind continues from the north (7 mile fetch) things could get hairy for the dock. At some point the wind will shift toward the west at which point a peninsula about 1/3 mile away will block the waves and probably save the dock.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seems everything here is shut down. I drove into work today... a lot less traffic. A little rain. Didn't seem that bad. Guess we'll see what the ride home is like.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
This storm could be historic. Live tracker here : Hurricane Tracker: View the 2012 storms - Weather | NBC News
The stock market is closed today and maybe tomorrow. When the market is closed, we know the storm is a big one!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Wind is starting to kick up here in northern Vermont. It looks as if we'll get some wind and rain but nothing compared to people south of us - so take care.

We have charged the cellphones, rechargeable batteries, etc., put things away. No need to fill the bathtub as we can just draw water from the lake in drywall buckets if needed to flush the toilets and we have a few gallons of drinking water stored.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #50

Considering it was 200 to 300 miles OFF the coast of N.C., it still did a fair amount of damage. Two piers and one cottage fell into the ocean. Ocean over wash, pavement and bridges closed...etc.

Sound side flooding projected at 3 to 7 feet from ground level today as the wind direction changes.

Our winds have picked up here as it is making it's westerly turn.

I can not imagine what this storm will do when it slams into the coast near Delaware, New Jersey and New York and there is not that 200 to 300 mile buffer from it's center.

We will all find out in short order!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #51

I lived through Hurricane Alicia in 1983 which came right through Houston, where I was living at the time. I remember it very well. How could I forget it. Power went out, winds were incredible, rain coming down like you wouldn't beleive. Afterward there was stuff spewed everywhere - what a mess. Many buidings were damaged with windows out and water damage. Hurricane Alicia was a category 3 hurricane which is 2 categories higher than the level of hurricane Sandy as I post.

And what did we do in all our wisdom to prepare... We hung out the night before drinking beer in tha Jacuzzi with the neighbors at the apartment I lived in. ....

During the hurricane we got bored without any power and went for a drive as the hurricane was winding down to see what was happening. Driving around while a hurricane is ongoing is surreal and there's nothing quite like it. While we were driving around something smashed into the car breaking the windshield and damaging the car. No injuries though.

Young and Stupid !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Well the high tide this AM did not do damage beyond the beach. It is up to and thru the protective dunes. I figure about another (vertical) 6 feet to breech the bulkhead. Water is pooling in the streets, due to the back bay high water level. Street drains go to the bay, if it rises, it seeks a level in the street inlets. Cars are now on jack stands & large timbers with battery disconnected.
I hope in doing that no water will reach the garage level.

We have about 9 hours till showtime, which will be the next high tide as the eye makes land fall. The back of the storm is much less in intensity, being in this hemisphere IIRC.

I agree with the comment of the massive losses the insurance companies will sustain. People paid premiums, so the losses should be covered.
I decided to stay here, I have been to Cleveland !! Just Kidding,
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #53
Administrator

Well, high tide is here. The neighbor's dock and yard are underwater, and the water is up over the roads in some places around town. In the 20 years we've been here, we've seen higher water on at least two other occasions. We'll see what tonight's high tide brings us. So far, my trees are holding up.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Well, high tide is here. The neighbor's dock and yard are underwater, and the water is up over the roads in some places around town. In the 20 years we've been here, we've seen higher water on at least two other occasions. We'll see what tonight's high tide brings us. So far, my trees are holding up.
Glad to hear that you are doing OK so far, and I am hoping for the best for all in Sandy's way as this big storm comes ashore.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #55

Do a search on twitter for #sandy. It really shows the power of that platform with up-to-the-minute updates from people experiencing the storm first hand.

With everything internet, you have to filter out the wackos.

This storm, unfortunately, seems to be living up to the hype. Hopefully, all the prep will prevent any loss of life.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
With everything internet, you have to filter out the wackos.
As long as you have time (and bandwidth, and electricity) you can filter some of the noise by deciding who you want to read. Either follow the big tweeters who have their lists and retweets (like FEMA) or build your own list.

Part of the challenge, though, is that you might filter too much and miss someone worth reading in your area who only tweets every few hours.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

This probably belongs in a separate thread, as it may affect the country long after the physical effect of the storm is over, and will most assuredly affect the pocketbook of not just the US, but also the rest of the world.

How Much Will Hurricane Sandy Cost the U.S. Economy? - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

With Katrina costing over $100 Billion Dollars, the article infers that this Sandy may be substantially more. New York City alone... could suffer damage beyond the total of hurricane Irene. In particular, the subway and the underground power structure, if flooded may cost more than anyone currently can estimate.
Quote:
In the event that the subway tunnels under the Harlem and East Rivers were out for more than a month, the economic cost could be $55 billion, Jacob told the New York Times just this September.
At the very least.. even without storm damage of any kind, the airline industry has already suffered a hit that will probably total more than a billion dollars.

As predictions for sea levels reaching more than 4 feet above Irene's record, the implied damage will be exponentially increased.

Two days and perhaps more of stock market close downs are already seeing foreign market concerns.

From the homeowner/business owner standpoint, the actual costs will be far beyond what most can conceive... Those who have suffered a relatively minor flood of two or three inches of water in their homes, know that this can easily cost from $5,000 to $50,000... walls furniture belongings... even without major structural damage.

I believe we should be very worried about insurance company liquidity, especially given the easing of surety guarantees. Of course, worse yet will be the personal losses of those who chose to opt out of Federal Flood Insurance. (FEMA).

The eventual losses can only be imagined, and the recovery period for many could be weeks, months, or years.

If the media projections are even close to being correct, this may be a defining moment in history.

1:30PM CST 10/29/2012
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Wind is howling out of the east, but the sun is peeking out now. A little while ago the wind picked up and flipped over with a thud my neighbor's aluminum fishing boat that was leaning up against her dock.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
This probably belongs in a separate thread, as it may affect the country long after the physical effect of the storm is over, and will most assuredly affect the pocketbook of not just the US, but also the rest of the world.

How Much Will Hurricane Sandy Cost the U.S. Economy? - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

With Katrina costing over $100 Billion Dollars, the article infers that this Sandy may be substantially more. New York City alone... could suffer damage beyond the total of hurricane Irene. In particular, the subway and the underground power structure, if flooded may cost more than anyone currently can estimate.

At the very least.. even without storm damage of any kind, the airline industry has already suffered a hit that will probably total more than a billion dollars.

As predictions for sea levels reaching more than 4 feet above Irene's record, the implied damage will be exponentially increased.

Two days and perhaps more of stock market close downs are already seeing foreign market concerns.

From the homeowner/business owner standpoint, the actual costs will be far beyond what most can conceive... Those who have suffered a relatively minor flood of two or three inches of water in their homes, know that this can easily cost from $5,000 to $50,000... walls furniture belongings... even without major structural damage.

I believe we should be very worried about insurance company liquidity, especially given the easing of surety guarantees. Of course, worse yet will be the personal losses of those who chose to opt out of Federal Flood Insurance. (FEMA).

The eventual losses can only be imagined, and the recovery period for many could be weeks, months, or years.

If the media projections are even close to being correct, this may be a defining moment in history.

1:30PM CST 10/29/2012
Why don't you really give in to the hype? Dogs and Cats, living together...

As for insurer liquidity, insurers specifically construct their balance sheets with these types of events in mind and the industry as a whole is awash with an excess amount of capital.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

There are storms, floods, fires, other natural events that hit somewhere in the US every year. Every business and property owner has to plan for such events - insure and/or set aside money for major expenses. It's the way life is, and we've made it through several huge expensive and devastating events in the past 12 years (2011 terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina, etc., etc.)