"Sandy".

Gov Andrew Cuomo has deployed additonal National Guard to NYC to get people [-]the dumbasses[/-] off the streets...
"So Sarge, let me get this straight. They're puttin' all of us on the street so that we can take some of them off the street? I'm not sayin' that's a bad idea, I'm just suggesting that the longer we take to get ourselves on the street, the more that Sandy will solve our problems for us..."

I feel the same way when I see people do that during hurricanes (and tsunamis) on TV. "Hey, dipswitch, hold up a sign with the name of your next of kin so that we know where to send this video!!"

Well the eye came upon land about 30 miles south of here. The great majority of streets are flooded 1-3 feet or water covered. We are at 13.5' above SL and no water covering streets in front or back, house is stable, electric is on. We have dodged a big storm. My son was watching the Atlantic roll in the waves and saw a 10'+ section of a board walk vertical out of the ocean. That must have been swept from Atlantic City.
The eye arrived at 6:00 and in about 15 mins all was quiet, no rain. Winds kicked back up four hours later, and continue now.
Very lucky here in NJ.

We skated on this one. Never even lost power, not so much as a screen lost off the back porch, although I haven't seen the house in daylight yet. Only had to drive around one fallen tree branch on the way home from work last night.

My sister in DE near Rehoboth Beach reports no damage, power still on in an E-mail at 0415. DW's nephew near Baltimore lost power but no damage that we know of. His father will take a generator over later today. He's recently retired from the power company as a machinist so presumably knows what not to do with it.

Overall, windy and blustery but we've seen a lot worse.

Post Sandy...All safe and sound here in upstate NY. Had high winds but not near as bad as places downstate and in the metro NY/NJ/CT area and down the East Coast. And inland where the blizzards are raging....:(

No trees down, and we have power.

A-OK here in Northern Virginia. Lots of rain and wind but no damage to our home or property. Our lights never even flickered though lots of folks are without power in the DC area.

Last edited:
Seems to have hit north of Northern Virginia the worse. Parents were hoping that the leaves would be blown into the neighbors yard but that appears not to be the case. No issues here but NYC/NJ seems to have gotten the brunt.

Gumby, get off the roof.

The roof stayed put after I put all the heavy stuff on top of it, but it will need replaced and/or repaired. I'm waiting for the Home Depot to open so I can buy some cinder blocks and bring my air conditioners and shop equipment back inside. This morning, I spent over an hour picking up branches and sticks out of my yard. I now have a pretty substantial brush pile out back.

One of the neighbors just had a fancy new garden shed built last month. The storm ripped nearly every shingle off of it. Luckily, no trees down on my street, but the news says they're down all over town. And, of course, the houses right down on the beach were wiped out by the waves and the storm surge. Same thing happened last year in Hurricane Irene.

feel bad for those closer to the coats. We really got lucky over on the north-west side of DC. Despite the eye going directly over us, the storm really just seemed like a bad thunderstorm that lasted a lot longer than usual. Lots of rain, pretty high winds, but almost no damage except for those who have basements (flooding).

Everything is shut down today (because they all made announcements yesterday), but this morning everything looks normal. Wind is maybe 5 MPH and there is a light rain. Maybe we're just in the eye still?

This is my fear, too. I can't tell by looking at weather.com but I do see that rain and strong wind are predicted through tonight, so it seems like we may be in for another bout.

Amethyst

fMaybe we're just in the eye still?

So glad to hear from so many members that they are all right, and to hear from Gumby that no trees are down on his street since IIRC he has quite a few.

As other members regain electricity we will probably hear more about their experiences.

Also glad to hear that the NYSE wasn't damaged and may re-open tomorrow.

. I'm waiting for the Home Depot to open so I can buy some cinder blocks and bring my air conditioners and shop equipment back inside.
Home Depot will be a hopping place today, good luck.
If the roof is a going to need replacing anyway, maybe consider some tarp, corrugated washers, roof sealant, and long screws to drive into the rafters/trusses instead of the cinderblocks? It might stay in place better, be less cumbersome to get up there, and less work to throw away when you get the roof repaired. (But, concrete blocks are certainly the simpler answer. I have a way of making these things complex)

Best of luck, be careful up on the roof. I'm glad your damage wasn't worse and that everyone is okay.

Oh no...Rats..

Was watching the news coverage. One of the concerns is that because of the underground subway system flooded, that the rat population will scatter and go looking in apartments for shelter. Oh boy :(.

Home Depot was oddly empty. They were open, but only had enough power to run the cash register. No lights. I got the cinder blocks and some roof tar and reinforcing mesh. Lugging the cinder blocks up to the roof and bringing the air conditioners and such back down really took a toll on my knees, but the roof is back in place and seems secure. I tarred/taped/tarred the one long tear in the impregnated fiber roofing, which I hope will keep the water out for now. I'll need to investigate how it was secured at the edges and why it broke loose to see if I can fix that part, at least temporarily. At the very least, I am not in desperate straits without a roof when everyone and their uncle will be looking for a contractor.

So glad to hear from so many members that they are all right, and to hear from Gumby that no trees are down on his street since IIRC he has quite a few.

As other members regain electricity we will probably hear more about their experiences.

+1

We're in NE Ohio. We had a short blackout around 6PM and then the power came right back on. Then around 9:30 we lost power. Our son lives in another neighborhood and he still had power. We were still out by 11pm so I called him and asked if he had some space in his refrigerator, could I bring over some of our cold stuff. I hated to lose it all if we were out for a long time. I packed up 2 insulated bags and we took the stuff over to his place. He was pleased that he could help and we stayed a few minutes to watch the news on tv. Scary stuff in NJ and NY.

DH has a police scanner so he hooked up a battery pack and we listened to it for a while. Interesting stuff and we could hear the utility crews talking about repairing the areas without power so we knew it wouldn't be too long. Our power came back about 3:30am and woke us up because the TV was on and a few lights.

Our experience was a minor inconvenience and a reminder of how dependent we are on electricity, especially the internet!

Last edited:
Glad to hear from all the members that made it safely .I lived in new Jersey much of my adult life and seeing the devastation is heartbreaking .

Spoke to soon in my earlier post. We did suffer some minor damage. The roof of our detached garage (AKA DH's "man cave") leaked in one small area. No missing shingles or holes in the roof so DH figures the water blew under the shingles somehow. Not a big mess and it's still under warranty, but still something to deal with. It did get a box of VHS tapes wet - old movies and so forth. Wanted to thow those out when we moved, but DH is a [-]hoarder[/-] saver so stored them there. ;)

I am pleased to read all our members are safe.
Moemg said:
Glad to hear from all the members that made it safely .I lived in new Jersey much of my adult life and seeing the devastation is heartbreaking .

"So Sarge, let me get this straight. They're puttin' all of us on the street so that we can take some of them off the street? I'm not sayin' that's a bad idea, I'm just suggesting that the longer we take to get ourselves on the street, the more that Sandy will solve our problems for us..."

I feel the same way when I see people do that during hurricanes (and tsunamis) on TV. "Hey, dipswitch, hold up a sign with the name of your next of kin so that we know where to send this video!!"

Nords...please please PLEASE jump all over this...

Inside Breezy Point: An Inferno in a Flood - Yahoo! News

The fire could not be prevented. Emergency w*rkers have to overcome stupidity and be redirected to rescue fools versus doing the j*b they were trained to do...emergency response NOT fighting Darwinian selection.

I have many good friends who do community and fire rescue. I'd like to see them again, versus reading about how they were injured or killed rescuing people who ignored warnings.

Not EVEN the beginning of the end of rant.

This is worth posting twice...

I've been monitoring the Weather Channel and netw*rk news for 3 days.

I proudly salute the emergency personnel of the National Guard, FEMA, state, county, and township officials and staff, all levels of law enforcement, DoD service members who are domestically deployed 24/7, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the local community groups, and the ordinary citizens of the stricken areas who are pulling together to try to restore the most basic services.

Who did I forget?

The next time I see someone complain about public w*rkers...:bat:

We are home and safe..they are not. Any questions ?

Last edited:
Most of Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk Counties) is without power. I lost power late Monday night but my ladyfriend's place a few blocks away has power so I am (t)here since Tuesday morning. Her cable TV is out but her landline phone (and mine, whoopee) is working. Her cell phone was out but is now back up. Lots of trees down behind my building which is probably how I lost power. I saw a big flash just before the power went out.

I took some food from my fridge and freezer here. The frozen stuff is in good shape, some of it I will cook today. Opening the feezer probably won't help the still-frozen stuff I left in there (I'll return there tomorrow). My ladyfriend is at work which has power but the phones are not working well. Minor chaos there, she told me. My car is fine but I don't want to venture out there because so many traffic lights are out.

Internet is fine, and I brought my PC to her place because hers is mediocre.

As long as my monthly dividends arrive on schedule I will be quite happy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom