Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yep.

I have to admit that I'll be disappointed if the TV show "Jersey Shore" manages to survive the effects of Hurricane Sandy.
MTV was way ahead of Sandy and cancelled the show in August.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
MTV was way ahead of Sandy and cancelled the show in August.
No doubt they will pull together a quick hurricane Sandy reunion.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
No doubt they will pull together a quick hurricane Sandy reunion.
They'll have a fundraiser benefit, no doubt.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

I don't blame people for living where there's danger of hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, winter storms, earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires, brush fires, etc...

After all, not everyone is tough enough to deal with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, etc...

And even when you think you have put up a good defense perimeter against these murderous critters, comes one sizzling summer of 120F temperature with the electric grid blacked out from overload, and people will be dropping like flies from the heat.

If it's not one thing, it's 'nother. There is no place to hide, I'll tell ya.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If it's not one thing, it's 'nother.
As Gilda said, "It's always something".
Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't blame people for living where there's danger of hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, winter storms, earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires, brush fires, etc...

After all, not everyone is tough enough to deal with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, etc...

And even when you think you have put up a good defense perimeter against these murderous critters, comes one sizzling summer of 120F temperature with the electric grid blacked out from overload, and people will be dropping like flies from the heat.

Ahhhhh....that's my first guffaw of the day.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Well, where I am in the SW, in the suburb and about 1 mi. from the desert edge, I have not seen as many critters as reported in TX.

But the 120F summer temperature is real. I can joke about it now, because we are in fall, and the high today is a mere 88F!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, where I am in the SW, in the suburb and about 1 mi. from the desert edge, I have not seen as many critters as reported in TX.

But the 120F summer temperature is real. I can joke about it now, because we are in fall, and the high today is a mere 88F!
50s here today but felt much colder. Still damp and blustery after the big storm. Winter is in the air. We set the clocks back this weekend and that's when the dark, cold days of winter begin in earnest.

I think I'd like 80s and dry desert warmth. Older I get, harder it is to deal with the cold and damp. Even so, I love this place. It's imperfect, but it's home. Might just have to give it up though when these old bones find it impossible to deal with another winter.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

There is no place to hide, I'll tell ya.
By the time you exclude all the items above there is no place in the US that meets the criteria cited. (Definitely no place in the US and although there may be places in Europe and possibly Brazil (the highlands) since the S Atlantic does not tend to get hurricanes, and its very old rocks inland from Rio. Of course disasters come in two flavors local a regional, a tornado, even like Joplin tends to be local, aid can come from nearby (started with Springfield, then Tulsa, KC and St.Louis) So a lot of what is seen in either Ike or Sandy such as the gas lines does not occur (much of what is happening in Sandy re fuel also happened in Ike in Houston as well due to the power being down at gas stations, this is why the preparedness folks say to fill up before the storm)
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Based on what I see with Fire insurance claims here in SoCal I don't think it will happen.

Here in SoCal people love to live right next to the forest areas prone to firestorms.
When i lived down there it was an annual event to walk along the beach and watch the canyons up behind Malibu burning. As long as these things get subsidized, they will go right on happening. What are home insurance rates up in Topanga canyon, for example?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I think I'd like 80s and dry desert warmth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
By the time you exclude all the items above there is no place in the US that meets the criteria cited.
In the Phoenix metropolitan, there is really no danger of any of the natural disasters that I listed. Not too many critters either. It's just hot! From Oct to May, it is nice.

The plan was for us to escape the heat by spending the summer up in our "mountain home" which is at 7,000ft , and also by RV'ing up north. However my wife still has familial duty in town, so I am still stuck here in the summer and still get to complain about the heat.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Listening to the radio there was talk about the storm surge being made worse due to rising sea levels due to global warming. This was passed along as though it is a fact. Has anybody bothered to fact check this statement?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, people could live on the flat. Rich people in the east Bay could live in Piedmont or Alameda, but very many of them choose the hills, and they do get burned out.

Ha
Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Listening to the radio there was talk about the storm surge being made worse due to rising sea levels due to global warming. This was passed along as though it is a fact. Has anybody bothered to fact check this statement?
While there has been global warming and sea levels are higher, the rise in sea level is only a couple millimeters a year, so I'm skeptical.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally getting a break in the action here and reading the forum. I work here in Connecticut operating the transmission grid, 69kv up to 345kv. Drove to work Monday evening just as Sandy was really winding up here. Took over the shift about 5pm and spent the rest of the night watching things fall apart. The transmission grid was hardest hit in southwestern Connecticut area and the coastline. Finally got the last line back in service tonight. The damage to the transmission grid from this storm was only about 25% of what we saw last October. Thank goodness I won't be here next October! (class of 2013
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Steve, thank you so much for hanging in there. Power line electricians and grid managers/administrators don't get the kudos they deserve. Few know that power line electricians have a very dangerous job and they spend a lot of time away from their families.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #157
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
In new york sea level rise has been 1.7 mm per year over the last 100 years, which is around 1/2 a foot over century. Studies (worth what you pay for them) claim 2 to 3 times this for the 21st century.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #158

Quote:

+1
And with all that, people still inflict more harm and damage than nature to the health and property of others.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

We heard from my nephew who moved to his new job in Manhattan just a couple of months ago. His area suffers no flood, no black out, and he only has to walk a few blocks to go to work. He has been working long hours (he's a pharmacist) to cover for people who live further away and cannot get in. He moved to NYC to get some exciting city life, but I am sure this was not what he had in mind.

Out of curiosity, I look up the area around the UN, where he says he is, and see that it is indeed at a higher elevation, compared to the area around Wall St.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #160

Quote:
You left out snow. I hate snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snowfall_too.jpg (73.6 KB, 0 views)