"Sandy".

sheehs1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
No one has started a "Sandy" thread so I thought I would. For our area, coastal Virginia, at least for now, they are saying affects similar to Hurricane Irene. By similar I mean storm surges and inland power outages. Some lost power for over 2 weeks. And the ground is already "wet". :-(

This is a huge storm. 400 miles from it's center so affects will be far reaching.
All is quiet for now. We won't feel affects until Sunday/Monday/Tuesday.

For those living on the East Coast of the U.S., please stay safe.

Yup, DH and I are keeping a close eye on this one. We're about 25 miles west of DC so it's a threat. We've had company for the past few days. They're flying back to Southern California this afternoon. Wish we could go with them....

On TV last night they showed how half of Fort Lauderdale beach (my winter home) was washed onto route A1A..."sandy" indeed!

Here, north of Boston we're watching and waiting; everyone scrambling to pull their boats up.

In my section of DC the power lines are underground so I am somewhat blase about it. Of course, that may mean I will get slammed. Just came back from a bike ride and the wind was pretty gusty. I would guess that was independent of Sandy. It is still too far south to be kicking up winds, isn't it?

Tomorrow (Sunday) we have matinee tickets for War Horse at the Kennedy Center. Between the early effects of the storm and the Marine Corps Marathon having most of the roads in that area shut down it should be an "interesting" trip.

Other than securing the patio furniture and grill, I haven't done much to prepare for the storm. Our neighborhood has underground utilities so I'm hoping we don't lose power.

Right now our forecast is for little more than heavy rain and 20 mph winds, just more sustained than normal.

However, we have relatives in coastal Delaware and are concerned about them. They know the door is always open here if they need to leave.

What they don't show you on the weather channel...

Attachments

• sandy.jpg
    sandy.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 57
Jim Cantore's new sidekick...

Attachments

• weather channel cat.jpg
    weather channel cat.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 31
I saw two large convoys of electrical utility line crews on Interstate 20 heading east today in MS. One convoy was from the Houston, TX area.

It is amazing the level of support that utilities provide each other in response to natural disasters.

I remember a few years ago that 15,000 people were mobilized to restore power in south LA.. At that time, I passed a convoy that was traveling at 60 mph. The trucks were spaced out every 100 yards. The convoy stretched 35 miles.

Since I'm just a bit SW of DC, I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off, not risking commuting those days, it just isn't fun to walk through 50+ gusts and heavy rain. Took my first trip to the local library because I definitely expect to lose power for at least a full day.

Oh Boy. There is mass hysteria. Nice distraction from the election stuff though.

Attachments

• invisible hurricane 1.jpg
    invisible hurricane 1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 18
  • invisible hurricane 2.jpg
    invisible hurricane 2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 338
Nice distraction from the election stuff though.
"But... but... but what if people can't vote because of the hurricane?!?"

and you know the Secret Service is thinking:
"Crap. Both of these yahoos are going to want to stroll through the wreckage consoling voters in front of the photographers..."

Well the lawn furniture is put away and there's plenty of wine, bottled water, and cookies in the house! Hunkering down in Rhode Island ready to ride this out! I hope any other east coasters are safe.

Oops, revised forecast, now we're supposed to get 50 knot winds. That's when any loose shingles and siding come off houses around here.

But we're well stocked with food and wine. I might sit on the back porch and watch the cows go flying by.

Local weather forecast for my area. Guess I won't be on the forum much next week. Our well has an electric pump, so once the power is out, we only have whatever water's left in the well tank (40-50 gals). Ergo, no showers or (errg) toilet flushing.

Amethyst.

* Timing... wind gusts over 45 mph are expected by 8 am Monday and
up to 60 mph Monday afternoon into Tuesday.

* Impacts... a prolonged 24-to-36 hour high wind event will take
place across the warning area. Coupled with heavy rains from
Sandy... the high winds will lead to significant tree damage.
Residents... visitors... and businesses across the region should
plan for widespread power and communication outages.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Be prepared for extended power outages. If you live near large
trees... remain in the lower level of your home or seek shelter
elsewhere if possible.

Fill the bathtub, any buckets, jars etc. Now can be thankful for 1.6 gallon per flush.
Resurrect the old California mantra: If it's yellow let it mellow, when it's brown flush it down.

Hang in there.

In our case in western PA, not much of a mess is expected. The house is all brick, heavy grade 2yr old shingles. Have generator and city water.

Should the house blow away DW will need to learn to appreciate the comforts of my mancave. Which has generator and spring water, double barrel stove for heat, propane fired fridge and stove.

We tried filling the bathtubs last time. The water leaked out! I imagine there is some sort of fix for that, but how do you justify paying a plumber to fix the bathtubs to ensure they hold water for a week during a power outage? Plumbers charge $115.00 just to come to the house around here.

Amethyst

Everyone stay safe. +1 on storing water. Sometimes a washcloth over the drain helps offset a slow leak in the bathtub. A washing machine is also useful for storing water, along with all the kitchen pots and pans.

Funny Purron! :LOL:
+1

A piece of thin plastic, or double layer of shopping bag over the drain, then a 2 or 2 1/2" "o" ring, needs to be slightly larger than the built in drain hole, over the plastic sheet, weighed down with a brick or other heavy item will seal the drain. The tub's built in drain usually is fairly leaky.

Boy is "Sandy" slow! The ground is already saturated and it technically is not here yet. We are in the cone as it moves up the coast. We are also in the cone when it makes it's left jag.
Rain since yesterday with breezy conditions... So far no problems.
But then...we are 60 miles inland. More concerned for those in the middle of the cone when it makes it's left jag slamming right into the coast up around Delaware, Baltimore, New York and N.J. Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
Purron, nice weather map and I love that clip from Ghostbusters especially Murray's line about "Dogs and cats living together!" LOL

What is saturated around here so far is the unending media coverage this morning. I like to watch the Sunday morning talking head shows (I am a political junkie) but they all got chopped into pieces with boring news conferences by NYC Mayor Bloomberg and other local officials.

But I am sure I speak for my fellow early retirees who are all glad we don't have to try to trek to work tomorrow during bad weather. As long as I have enough light, I can cuddle up and read a book. :)

Back
Top Bottom