Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with several others that say once a week would be ok for me. In fact even though my mail is delivered 6 days a week, I only open my mailbox once and retrieve the mail once per week. There is literally nothing in there that I can about except on an occaisional bill from the insurance company or the one magazine I get. Everything else is junk mail or a statement to an account that is auto-paid online.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing to remember.... most larger companies do NOT get mail delivered to them....

When I worked in a mail room way back when... we would send over a person in a van to pick up the mail... the first time was the manager who picked it up on his way to work... we then picked it up twice more when we had mail runs...

A lockbox operation that I saw had pickups every two hours, around the clock from what I was told... the main post office has people sorting etc. so they would just stop by and pick up what was in their bag...

So, big business can handle the change, it is the delivery to 'us' that is the big cost...

I wonder what it costs in old neighborhoods... my mom's old hood had 'at the door' mail delivery... the mail carrier would park at the end of the block and have to walk to every house and put the mail in the box...

We have 'individual at the curb' delivery... this is faster since they can do it in the truck and just drive around...

But it does not compare to the 'block at the curb' delivery where they just have a big block of boxes like at an apartment...

I bet if they converted everybody to the new block at the curb it would cut down on the number of carriers they would need... as long as they could get rid of them...

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the benefits are the same as other federal employees...

Postal Retirement Benefits
The APWU and other federal unions have worked with Congress for many decades to ensure retirement income security for employees who spend their careers in government service.
Today, most postal employees are eligible to participate in one of two federal retirement benefit programs:
The Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), which provides benefits for most workers hired before 1984.
The Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS), which covers all workers hired after 1984.
Though FERS pays a smaller monthly benefit than CSRS, FERS retirees also receive Social Security and Thrift Savings Plan payments.
Whichever plan you are enrolled in, your retirement benefits are administered by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM).

They also listed the salary at around $52K for a level 5 grade 0... not sure if that is the 'normal' rate for a postal worker... or their starting salary... but it does seem like a lot compared to other jobs with the skill level needed for the job...

IOW, the average teacher makes less than that where I live.... but then again that is not a full year job either...
Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
+1 -- though in reality I'm OK with no mail delivery on Saturday. I would like to see post offices remain open on Saturday, though -- that's often the only time we poor working stiffs can get there to conduct our business.
Other than picking up packages, everything else can be done at any private mailbox outfit and for shipping you then have a choice of who to ship with. If you get a private mailbox you can even pick up packages there. (in addition you can recieve UPS and FedEx there) Of course one way the post office could improve security and reduce costs is to put in the lockable cluster mailboxes in older districts in stead of the either rural mail boxes or the door to door delivery. Given the number of times mail gets stolen a lockable mailbox is an advantage, and if the postman had one place to visit per block it would reduce the time needed.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

As a kid in the '50s, I loved twice a day mail delivery. I had one of the "1001 Things you Can Get For Free" books and I papered the companies in it with postcards. Nothing was more fun than getting all those catalogs, samples and other stuff in the mail. In addition, I was a shortwave radio listener and sent away for lots of QSL cards - pieces of cardboard verifying that I heard a transmitted signal.

But times have changed and I see little reason for Saturday deliveries. I do however, agree with keeping the larger post offices open as many working people can only get to them on Saturdays. If they are closed, then the only option for packages will be FedEx as UPS is closed on Saturdays. More money lost for the USPS. You could still use automated mailing stations, but not every post office has them and they are out of order much of the time. Plus, they have strict size limits (small).

We pay 95% of our bills electronically for free, even those where the credit union ends up having to mail a check to the biller. I can't remember the last time I actually mailed a letter written on paper. My stamp purchases have gone from several hundred a year to probably less than 50 - mostly for birthday, other celebratory and get well cards. Everything evolves and it's time for the USPS to be part of that evolution.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel
Rather than giving them Saturday and Sunday off, how about, say Wednesday? To me that makes more sense so there aren't 2 full days with no mail delivery.
Yes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see this as a no brainer.

If the PO does eliminate another delivery day, it will hasten the switch to UPS or Fedex for online orders. Who will want to take the chance that their package will be delayed a day?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Other than picking up packages, everything else can be done at any private mailbox outfit and for shipping you then have a choice of who to ship with. If you get a private mailbox you can even pick up packages there.
This isn't really always an option. For one thing, sometimes you pay more for the privilege of using these "mailbox outfits". For another thing, this doesn't work for some folks, such as people who sell on eBay and take Paypal. For these sellers to be protected from buyer fraud, they need to ship USPS and get signature confirmation. FedEx and UPS won't work here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Eliminating a day is a no brainer to me, among other things. I don't care which day, but I'd think Sat would be much preferred over Wed to postal workers so they could have a 2 day weekend vs split days off. I'd think it would be more cost effective. Public postal service is one of many services that I expect to all but disappear in the decades ahead along with newspapers, books, CD's, DVD's and anything else than can no be delivered electronically cheaper and faster.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

If they got rid of 75% of my junk mail, they could deliver the REAL mail I get 25% of the time, or about 1-2 days a week!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #30

I vote with those who would be fine with one less day for delivery (don't care which one it is). It doesn't seem a good idea to me to scale it back too far, as I don't think it would be good to see substantial layoffs for postal workers, who are after all consumers like the rest of us.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If they got rid of 75% of my junk mail, they could deliver the REAL mail I get 25% of the time, or about 1-2 days a week!

If it wasn't for that junk mail the post office would be losing a lot more money....

What I hate is the mailman putting in my real mail with the junk so I actually have to look to see if there is a letter that I want tucked inside of all those ads...
Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #32

I'd be fine with no mail on Saturday or even on Wednesday. A local grocery store has a post office that I choose to use over the regular po. They are more friendly and open on Saturday and the line is usually shorter.

USPS employees pay a lower amount toward their health benefits than other fed employees so maybe that is being looked at for change. For example using BCBS, a self only bi-weekly premium paid by the USPS employee is $63.81 and $86.39 for other federal employees.

It will be interesting to see what changes actually happen with the USPS and how it plays out over the next few years.

Over the past several months I have learned that both UPS and FedX partner with the USPS to deliver packages. Several items I have ordered were initially shipped by the private carrier and transferred to the USPS who then delivered the item to me.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Over the past several months I have learned that both UPS and FedX partner with the USPS to deliver packages. Several items I have ordered were initially shipped by the private carrier and transferred to the USPS who then delivered the item to me.
Yep. We've had Amazon orders which we expected to be delivered by the little brown truck, only to be delivered to us by USPS.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Powerplay is correct about the PO health benefits.

My husband has an issue with the postal clerks who seem to move in slow motion at the counter. They just don't have any hustle but I do admit that some of their customers are air heads. IMHO if the customer isn't ready to ship tell them to come back when they are.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Postal workers are Federal Employees. But the various Federal agencies have different benefit packages. I also am a Federal Employee. Postal Service employees pay less for their health insurance than regular Feds, (the other Feds are helping to fund their low rates thanks to their union). The FAA also has some really sweet benefits, too. All is not equal in the Federal world as you would think. Take a look at your elected Congress people and the benefits they get...

However...No private company will deliver mail at a profit to remote places like the Post Office does. The rates would go way up if they did.

Opps Powerplay...we both posted about the health benefits about the same time...
Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a problem with it... I'll just get my Saturday junk mail on Monday with the Monday Junk mail or they will mail it early and I will get it on Friday.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Powerplay is correct about the PO health benefits.

My husband has an issue with the postal clerks who seem to move in slow motion at the counter.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
However...No private company will deliver mail at a profit to remote places like the Post Office does. The rates would go way up if they did.
Makes sense...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd think Sat would be much preferred over Wed to postal workers so they could have a 2 day weekend vs split days off.
Who cares what the postal workers want. So they get a little disgruntled. Oh, wait a second...
Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
They had something on a show this weekend and the biggest cost for the post office is their workers... the pay and benefits are not in line with 'the market'... they showed some small post office is somewhere North Dakota that probably should be shut down as it is a money loser...
Anybody know the benefit structure Since it is still 'gvmt', it is probably good... just wondering how good and has it changed over the years...
I think the biggest issue is the change to the accounting rules requiring them to fully fund their projected pension liabilities. The same accounting change that's caused so much heartburn over the last decade for so many state & municipal govts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see this as a no brainer.
If the PO does eliminate another delivery day, it will hasten the switch to UPS or Fedex for online orders. Who will want to take the chance that their package will be delayed a day?
We may both get our wishes-- no deliveries on Wednesdays AND no deliveries on Saturdays...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote