Join Early Retirement Today

Saturday Night Fever
Old 06-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saturday Night Fever

I see that 16 members are logged in at 8 pm on a Sat. evening (or earlier in the West). Mrs. Grumpy is in California attending her neice's high school graduation. Otherwise we would be out on the town (usually dinner and a movie). We have gone out nearly every Saturday night for the 36 years we've been married, even when the kids were small. Even though we're both retired and could avoid the crowds by going out during the week, old habits die hard. I normally only check the board in the morning or afternoon. Is this a typical Saturday night crowd on this board? Don't you guys have a life? Maybe this explains the caliber of some of the threads. :
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Saturday Night Fever
Old 06-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well I just got back from a 3 hours shopping/walking excursion with the baby, who is now officially worn out. Made some sushi and ate it with the wife. Now she's out back reading and I'm doing some quick light maintenance on the old computer before settling down to watch a movie on the projector with her until the baby falls asleep, after which I'll make dinner and we'll go to bed.

Not a bad evening. Not once did I have to think about going back to work in a couple of days
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It has been pouring rain all day. Thinking about a movie.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Why would anyone go out on a Saturday night? Too many working people clogging up all the places you'd want to go!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #5

I don't know about the others, but I'm sitting here at the opera right now with my laptop. *After this we're off to a rave, then some kind of drug party.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I see that 16 members are logged in at 8 pm on a Sat. evening (or earlier in the West).* Mrs. Grumpy is in California attending her neice's high school graduation. Otherwise we would be out on the town (usually dinner and a movie). We have gone out nearly every Saturday night for the 36 years we've been married, even when the kids were small. Even though we're both retired and could avoid the crowds by going out during the week, old habits die hard.* I normally only check the board in the morning or afternoon.* Is this a typical Saturday night crowd on this board?* Don't you guys have a life?* ** Maybe this explains the caliber of some of the threads.* :
Hello Grumpy! Are you saying the threads are dopey?

We seldom go out on Saturday night. Very rare, Saturday night holds no special
significance. Just another day in paradise...........

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #7

No big Saturday nights for me. I am catching up from all the time I have not been able to get in this forum-it is working great for me today. DH has a 72 corvet and is out driving his baby around. Teen daughter got back from dance recital practice and wants me to get off the computer. Woo hoo!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Spent all day out, I'm not a party all night type, much prefer dinner parties of 6-8 at home. Heading out to get my bike ride in before it gets dark.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:09 AM   #9

Old habits do die hard. Saturday night is date night!....most of the time. DW is under the weather so last night I whipped up some pasta with a spicy red sauce and a bottle of red.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Another day of pouring rain ahead. We will clean house. I am working on "mission organization" for our miscellaneous stuff.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Spent Sat. night watching tv vs working days when we were always out 'somewhere' if not RV camping.

Sat afternoon went by a small(200 people) big 50 birthday party for a neighbor(of 20 yrs) who moved 'in town' aka inside the levee.

2400 sq ft 1960's 4 bedroom single level brick veneer on a half acre lot - 110k - RE bubble even here. Got the walking tour as they are remodeling the whole inside - especially the kitchen. Not one ER in the crowd. Plenty of new vehicles and motorcycles - payments?

P.S. - four of six piers -lights on at 10 last night - fishing, when the dog did his evening whiz.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:39 PM   #12

We're usually at home on Sat nites. Last night had to go to a wedding rehersal dinner. They wanted to go back to nephew's house and drink, errr talk. I declined. Got home about 10:00pm. Didn't look at this forum.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

No rain here until ~september/october. At least the 85-90 degree heat finally broke off to mid 70's the rest of the week.

Family coming by, italian braised beef with garlic, black pepper and sun dried tomato over creamy polenta with a sprinkling of gremolata for dinner. Couple of movies. Then I get a face full of baby for 3 days while the wife goes back to work from 6pm to 6am tonight, tomorrow night and the next.

AIYYEEEEEEEEEE!

It wont be so bad though. With the wife at work I can just drop the baby into the iron maiden until she gets home
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I see that 16 members are logged in at 8 pm on a Sat. evening (or earlier in the West).* Mrs. Grumpy is in California attending her neice's high school graduation. Otherwise we would be out on the town (usually dinner and a movie). We have gone out nearly every Saturday night for the 36 years we've been married, even when the kids were small. Even though we're both retired and could avoid the crowds by going out during the week, old habits die hard.* I normally only check the board in the morning or afternoon.* Is this a typical Saturday night crowd on this board?* Don't you guys have a life?* ** Maybe this explains the caliber of some of the threads.* :
DW and I are traveling about 1/3 to 1/2 the time these days. Saturday Schmaturday. I might be logged on on Saturday night -- or any other night -- and I might not. I might be logged on from a hotel room 1000 miles from home. We might be out dancing. We might be camping somewhere. I might log in at midnight on Saturday after an evening out on some town. . . . One thing for sure, we won't be out for a dinner and a movie out of habit. We have a life. only kidding grumpy.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #15

My PC is usually on and my DSL is always connected. I was watching movies but was interrupted by a few calls. I'm not much of a talker, so frequently I'll click around the internet a bit when I'm on the phone. (Heh, makes you wonder why people call me.)

Also, that list at the bottom shows who's been logged in in the past 30 minutes. Sometimes I click on the main page or one of the boards but don't read much or at all then go do something else. For the next 30 minutes my name will show as logged in.

Fridays and Saturdays are the slowest days on the boards, hitwise. Surprisingly Sunday is almost as busy as a weekday.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I don't know about the others, but I'm sitting here at the opera right now with my laptop. After this we're off to a rave, then some kind of drug party.
Al,
In case you think your humor got wasted, it did make me laugh, and little on internet forums does.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Our kid took advantage of our memory loss to persuade us to have a sleepover.

It brings new insight to the thought of spending the night with six females. You parents who've hosted sleepovers can attest that it certainly didn't involve sleeping.

Our date night was pizza & frozen yogurt. (We eventually caved in and bought some for the kids, too.) The kids brought over all five Star Wars DVDs, so I slept with earplugs and actually got enough rest. A quick check the next morning didn't reveal any empty beer bottles or leftover boys' underwear, so I guess the kids had a miserable time without realizing it.

But just when you think you have it tough, you can gossip with the neighbor's kids. One family is not allowing their 16-year-old to get her driver's permit because her frequent temper tantrums make them fear she's susceptible to road rage. (We've heard the screaming-- they're absolutely right and she's in the Dr. Phil class of tantrums.) Another family almost didn't let their kid come to the sleepover because they already went to a movie that day, which should be more than enough fun for any kid...

Life is good. Although next weekend we're gonna have to try Al's approach!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote