Join Early Retirement Today

Save almost $500/yr on Dish TV
Old 02-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Save almost $500/yr on Dish TV

So I called to cancel this morning, told them we were switching to streaming, and they immediately cut our monthly cost from $82.41 to $43.85 (for 6 months) - same equipment, same channel lineup, no changes in anything. I suspect we'll be cutting the cord in 6 months, but they got a reprieve in the meantime. DW was antcy about learning a new system, but willing.

Of course I'm not suggesting you try to bluff, we were all set to switch to PlayStation Vue at $39.99/mo (including major network/local channels), even bought another streaming device on Sat, just returned to Best Buy today.

I am sure the cable and satellite providers are feeling the squeeze, and it will only get worse. If anything, the picture quality and cloud DVR was better with PS Vue (than satellite). FWIW

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

How will you "Save almost $500/yr on Dish TV" when they only gave you the deal for six months, a savings of $231?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Iirc, I did this with Comcast cable, too. Told them I was cancelling, and they offered to continue at the introductory discounted rate, which was a lot lower than normal. The woman said I could just call back in 6 months when the introductory rate ran out and do the whole process over again. I did that. Maintained the discounted rate for about a year, maybe more.

Eventually I cancelled completely, for other reasons (just decided I was better off without cable TV in my life). But for a while, I was getting the intro/discounted rate over and over (although I'd been a customer for 10+ years), just by telling them I was going to leave.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Only problem I see is ISP's going up on internet only subscribers. It's great for now but will be interesting to see if saving are still in the cards down the road. I do agree on picture quality with PS Vue, its just as good as any HD service I've seen.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Only problem I see is ISP's going up on internet only subscribers. It's great for now but will be interesting to see if saving are still in the cards down the road. I do agree on picture quality with PS Vue, its just as good as any HD service I've seen.
I've been Comcast internet only forever, never had a "bundle." I may have missed it, but I never found a triple or double play that matched what I was able to get buying separately, and I looked no less than annually at all the providers in our area.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've been Comcast internet only forever, never had a "bundle." I may have missed it, but I never found a triple or double play that matched what I was able to get buying separately, and I looked no less than annually at all the providers in our area.
That may be, but if more and more drop cable you have to believe they will go up to offset. I received a call not long ago from Comcast offering a double play package(limited channels with HBO) that would be the same as what I'm currently paying for internet only. It would be for a year so would have to deal with haggling over a new deal at that time. I didn't want to fool with their cable box so I declined.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I did the double, but it is phone and internet... I do not want to be tied to a cell phone...

I did call up when the cost went up to $125... but they had moved my speed up to blazing... it is now down to just fast.... but now am paying $75 per month for 2 years...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How will you "Save almost $500/yr on Dish TV" when they only gave you the deal for six months, a savings of $231?
I think the answer is in your sig:

Numbers is hard.

- ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Comcast has about driven me crazy charging for 3-4 pay per views at midnight one night per month--$50ish. I never order any pay per view.

And their rates go up up up. I get tired of having to go to their office to either (1) straighten out my bill or (2) threatening to cancel my service.

They will always cut your bill $20-30 per month on a 6 month deal if you complain. But I find having to complain distasteful.

And the local sales agents have little authority to cut you a deal. But the foreigners you speak to on the telephone have much more leeway in offering specials--even though you can barely understand what they're saying.

When I moved, no Comcast person ever came to hook up my television. I found the hot coaxial cable outside stuck in the mud. Once I connected the coax., I still got no signal. The Service Dept. manager at Comcast skipped his lunch hour and figured out my service was given to my address in a different city. Then I had to go down again to complain about an over charge.

I finally cut the ties and went to Dish TV on a 3 year guaranteed rate. It's still expensive, but it works. And my bill is correct every month.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Of course I'm not suggesting you try to bluff, we were all set to switch to PlayStation Vue at $39.99/mo (including major network/local channels), even bought another streaming device on Sat, just returned to Best Buy today.
I've been switching between Dish and DirecTV for the past 18 years to get the lowest rate possible. It does seem like the last few years they haven't been willing to call my 'non-bluff' and offer me a comparable deal that I could get from switching to their competitor. So I end up switching and within a month I start getting 'we miss you' letters offering me a deal to come back that would have stopped me from switching in the first place.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A couple years ago I called Dish and told them that if they would offer me the same deal that they were offering to new customers (IIRC $25/month credit for the first 12 months and new equipment) that I would re-sign for 2 years, otherwise I was going to Direct.

They agreed... I was surprised, as was my installer who had never heard of such a thing and insisted that they confirm it with him because he didn't want to do a new install and end up not getting paid.

Will be time to do it again when I get back home for the summer.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I expect to cut the cord in 6 months regardless of what Dish Network offers. Streaming offered a noticeably better picture, with a better channel package, and far better value IMO. I'd rather have 40 channels with 20 I watch than 120 channels with 20 I watch. YMMV
Quote:
Cord-cutting: Turner’s Levy isn’t worried about cord-shavers and cord-cutters. “I am more worried about cord-nevers,” who grow up not having pay-TV subscription, he said, adding that’s why it’s important to have brands such as refinery29 and Mashable that reach that audience. Consulting firm PwC said in a report in December that as more audiences customizing their pay-TV bundles through trimming, the rate of households that either cut the cord, dropping their cable package altogether, or have never subscribed to cable in the first place, was relatively steady at 23% in 2016, up from 21% last year. But the rate of households opting to keep cable at lower cost and with fewer channels, dubbed cord shaving, jumped to 23% from 18% last year. Traditional pay TV subscribership dropped to 54% from 61% last year. Consumers’ “demands got louder in terms of what kind of content they pay for and how and when they access it,” PwC said.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I would be so aggravated to be paying those exorbitant prices, and then have to hassle/negotiate with them periodically to keep from having to pay even higher prices.

I am happy that I "cut the cord/cable". That may not be the right decision for everybody, but it sure was for me. I have more entertainment options than I can shake a stick at, many of them much more fun than TV and free or nearly free.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Personally I would be so aggravated to be paying those exorbitant prices, and then have to hassle/negotiate with them periodically to keep from having to pay even higher prices.

I am happy that I "cut the cord/cable". That may not be the right decision for everybody, but it sure was for me. I have more entertainment options than I can shake a stick at, many of them much more fun than TV and free or nearly free.

My problem is that there are a good number of shows I watch on some cable channels.... however, if I could get a skinny bundle for half of what I pay now I would love it.... and guess what.... the cable company would actually make more money from me as they would not have to pay ESPN or the food channel or some of these others that are on my package that I never watch...

Also, there are a few channels that I do watch a show, but would easily give it up if I could save some money... my package would be my local channels (which I now have to pay for since I get them through DISH) and maybe 5, but no more than 10 cable channels...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

. . .we were all set to switch to PlayStation Vue at $39.99/mo (including major network/local channels), even bought another streaming device on Sat, just returned to Best Buy today.

I am sure the cable and satellite providers are feeling the squeeze, and it will only get worse. If anything, the picture quality and cloud DVR was better with PS Vue (than satellite). FWIW
Hi Midpack,

I follow the cord cutting threads with interest, but this is the first time I've seen a reference to the PS Vue. I am not able to get local channels OTA, and I want to be able to DVR NFL football games in HD, so I need to get my local network affiliates. Is that possible with the PS Vue? If so, it may finally be time for me to make the change. My rates went up by $20 two months ago, and like other's here, I've not been able to make myself call them up and haggle for a better price yet. I guess the good news is that my contract period is over with, so I'm free to drop cable at any time

Mind you, $39.99/mo for PS Vue streaming plus $xx.xx for Comcast internet will probably come close to what I am paying now. Hmm....
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
Hi Midpack,

I follow the cord cutting threads with interest, but this is the first time I've seen a reference to the PS Vue. I am not able to get local channels OTA, and I want to be able to DVR NFL football games in HD, so I need to get my local network affiliates. Is that possible with the PS Vue? If so, it may finally be time for me to make the change. My rates went up by $20 two months ago, and like other's here, I've not been able to make myself call them up and haggle for a better price yet. I guess the good news is that my contract period is over with, so I'm free to drop cable at any time

Mind you, $39.99/mo for PS Vue streaming plus $xx.xx for Comcast internet will probably come close to what I am paying now. Hmm....
PS Vue included all the local major networks LIVE where I am, but you have to check your location - it's not available everywhere. The easy way to tell after your provide your location, if the cheapest pkg is $39.99/mo you probably have local channels, if they're not available the cheapest package will be $29.99/mo.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My problem is that there are a good number of shows I watch on some cable channels.... however, if I could get a skinny bundle for half of what I pay now I would love it.... and guess what.... the cable company would actually make more money from me as they would not have to pay ESPN or the food channel or some of these others that are on my package that I never watch...

Also, there are a few channels that I do watch a show, but would easily give it up if I could save some money... my package would be my local channels (which I now have to pay for since I get them through DISH) and maybe 5, but no more than 10 cable channels...
New options are opening up all the time. Sling TV, DirecTV Now and PlayStation Vue all have much cheaper skinny bundles ($20-40/mo) than cable or satellite.

We all want ala carte, and maybe it'll happen one day, but I am not holding my breath. OTOH, CBS has already gone solo, and other majors are rumored to do so. Whether that saves consumers or not - remains to be seen.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
PS Vue included all the local major networks LIVE where I am, but you have to check your location - it's not available everywhere. The easy way to tell after your provide your location, if the cheapest pkg is $39.99/mo you probably have local channels, if they're not available the cheapest package will be $29.99/mo.
Drat, I see the $29.99 package with no local channels for my zip code. I guess I will need to make the call to Comcast to bargain for a lower rate. Last time I ended up with the same (higher) rate, but more internet speed and channels. I must bargain harder this time!
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Wow.. this could be big... I just got online and our favorite local affiliate which we can't get OTA is listed so this may be a great possibility!

We have Dish right now with 4 TVs connected to a central DVR and we like it that any TV in the house can view live programming. We also like being able to skip or fast forward through commercials on recorded shows. From what I am reading on their website it seems that the DVR is in the cloud... I assume that if I have my 4 tvs connected via a Firestick or Roku that any one (or all four) could watch live tv or recorded shows... correct? And fast forward through commercials?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #20

I'm seeing a $29.99 package for my area (metro Atlanta) that includes all four major broadcast networks, but only two of those (Fox and CBS) look to be "live". The other two are listed as "on demand". But for me, that's irrelevant since I never watch anything other than sports live. I don't really see any advantage to live vs. on-demand for someone like me. That is, assuming I could start watching an on-demand episode of, say, Meet The Press within minutes of its airing live on the regular broadcast channel.

Midpack, are there any restrictions or limitations you've found watching things on-demand vs. live? And also, do you have full DVR functionality for everything you watch, including the ability to FFW through commercials?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote