Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Saving loads of money on dining out
Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Saving loads of money on dining out

http://restaurant.com

Go to this website, enter your local zip code,browse restaurants (most are in large cities) and put coupons for desired locations in your cart. When done go to checkout and enter SANTA in the discount code box. I used it for 10 coupons and it worked fine. It will take 80% off of your total. I got $250 dollars worth of meal discounts for $20. I do not know how long this discount will last so if you are interested, do it now. The coupons do not have an expiration date.
I have been using this site for several years and it really works.

Have fun,
2fer

When this 80%discount code expires, there is almost always a 50% one available at couponcabin.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been using them for years. In NY it's was great because there were so many restaurant's signed up. Down here in Fla. not so many.

You can sign up with them and they'll email you all the time with the current specials.

Normally you pay 10 bucks for a $25 coupon but with the special it's cheaper. Let's say they have a 50% off, they you pay $5 for the $25 coupon. Pretty good deal if there's enough restaurants in your area signed up.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I've been using them for years. In NY it's was great because there were so many restaurant's signed up. Down here in Fla. not so many.

Take another look since the economy downturn a lot of restaurants have signed up .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #4

None In my area I have heard of. Might be a good time to go try something new
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just read the minimum requirements at the individual restaurants.

I like to go to restaurants for lunch; often by myself - many of the deals don't work for that.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Read the fine print, as Dex mentioned, it is hard to use for parties of one or two but otherwise, it is a deal.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Take another look since the economy downturn a lot of restaurants have signed up .
Yeah, but with the market down I can't afford to go now.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Read the fine print, as Dex mentioned, it is hard to use for parties of one or two but otherwise, it is a deal.
We use the $25 coupon (we are a party of 2). You usually have to spend $35 at minimum to use this coupon. This can be tough to do if it isn't a super expensive restaurant. So, we end up ordering appetizers and 2 entrees. We just don't eat all of the entrees and bring some home for the next day. I love the restaurant.com deals they send you via email. Seems like every other week they are running a 70% special (spend $3 for a $25 coupon, instead of $10). That 80% Santa special is the best deal thus far that I've seen.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Good Site and Some Tips
Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good Site and Some Tips

I've used them for years. I actually think I put a restaurant out of business because I used so many certificates :-)

They let me know if I buy a certificate and I forget and let it expire. The advice on the fine print is good but in my experience there are no major "gotchas". Also, the discounts get higher at the end of the month.

People also sell restaurant.com gift cards on eBay. The last time I got one, I paid 17 cents on the dollar. Usual eBay precautions apply but I haven't been ripped off yet.

Mike Honeycutt
mahoneycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #10

Seems like most of the deals I saw have $10 Certificates for $3, and $25 Certificates for $10 and sometimes other denominations.

For $9 you can buy 3 $10 certificates. Why would anybody ever pay $10 for a $25 certificate?

Anybody know if you can use a certificate for the gratuity?
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I noticed that too but still tend to buy mostlythe $25 coupons. Many places offer the $25 coupon with only a few offering the $10. Also, only one coupon per visit and lots of the places are expensive enough that the $25 is a better deal. After all, spend 2 dollars and save 23 or spend sixty cents and save $9.40. I'll take the 23 dollar savings.
2fer
PS: The tip cannot be paid with the coupon.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #12

Thanks two4, I see now. Some of the listings I saw said "one coupon per visit", so I assumed the others would allow multiple coupons. It still looks like a pretty good deal.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

I've used Restaurant.com but lately most of my local restaurants are lowering their prices . Some were already low but went lower . Tonight we went to our favorite Seafood place . I had Chicken Oscar and my SO had fish and chips both were great and they were $7.99 each . They change the specials weekly . They are slightly smaller than their regular dinners but I like that since I usually end up taking half home . It's a great place always mobbed .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

For me, there's one restaurant, and it's 50 miles away. That's not bad. Usually when I enter my zip code on a web site, the site replies "You're kidding, right?"
Old 12-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #15

Today's email from restaurant.com was 80% off. So, you spend $2 for a $25 coupon. Not a bad deal.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Usually when I enter my zip code on a web site, the site replies "You're kidding, right?"
I thought the reply would be "Bigfoot? Is that you?"
Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Today's email from restaurant.com was 80% off. So, you spend $2 for a $25 coupon. Not a bad deal.
Who are you kidding? Even at 80% off you still can't afford to eat out.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Who are you kidding? Even at 80% off you still can't afford to eat out.
I'm saving them up and when I start getting SS like you I'm goin out.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Thanks two4, I see now. Some of the listings I saw said "one coupon per visit", so I assumed the others would allow multiple coupons. It still looks like a pretty good deal.
Don't assume anything. The rules say only one coupon per party (even if asking for seperate checks) and only one coupon per family per month. And make sure you understand the minimums.

I did a deep dive into this today....... Tons and tons of restaurants within five miles of our Chicago suburban home. You do need to read and understand the rules of engagement carefully. And watch the unique details for each restaurant. For example, to use a $25 coupon at some restaurants you need spend only $35. But at others the minimum may be $45 or $50. Generally drinks (alcohol or not) aren't part of the required minimum. Tips are usually calculated at some stated percentage on the basis of what the full bill would have been without the coupon and also aren't part of the minimum.

I got interested..... kinda like looking for a bargain at a flea market.... and found three excellent deals for DW and myself. Also crossed off dozens and dozens of offers because minimums were too high, too far to drive vs. the discount offered, restaurant didn't look that interesting when I went to their web site, etc.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Don't feel bad Al it said the same thing for my zipcode. Part of the traditional
"offer not good in Alaska or Hawaii" crap.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote