"Saving" lounge chairs at a beach or pool

Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?

• No, it is rude to other guests

Votes: 73 68.2%
  • Yes, first come first serve

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Other... please explain

Votes: 14 13.1%

• Total voters
So touching a towel is ok because it's not owned by the guest but removing personal items from the corporate chair is not ok. What about dumping the personal items without actually touching the items? Is that a party foul. For all you know the personal items might be borrowed or stolen. Technically if your a$$ isn't in the chair it is fair game. Just like the exercise equipment in the gym. If you expect a towel to be a place holder in a gym you just won the the dufus of the day award.

Just Curious: I hope you're not on vacation writing this post/reply!

I was thinking some way if having a denver boot for the beach chair; you could always take a bicycle cable lock and join multiple chairs together. Take a baby's rattle, toy ... most people would bypass that chair and find other. Perhaps a oxygen tank and tubing, medical report stating a terminal illness -- I think most would let this chair undisturbed.

Like someone said, 1st world country problem. Get up early, claim your chair and your spot.

Hope you had an enjoyable and fun vacation. Where did you go? Please don't say the Jersey shore.

it's a term of derision we use in Texas - it basically means someone from up north that's rude...

3)GD Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions of staying in the south.

Really? There are such people?

it's a term of derision we use in Texas - it basically means someone from up north that's rude

1)Yankee-Someone who was born and still lives in the north.
2)Damn Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions on moving back up north.
3)GD Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions of staying in the south.

Oh ok. I thought it must be a British saying. Lol.

I have stayed in resorts where the rule is 30 minutes vacant then the staff moves the stuff to the pool house. It is strictly enforced during busy times. The rules are clearly posted.

I am generally with you in this thread. However, where on earth is "yankee move" defined? I want to make sure I don't commit such a move.

It's a term of endearment used by rednecks to try to boost their inferiority complex. Especially those form Texas where everything is bigger and better then everywhere else. Including there low self-esteem. :whistle:

According to a survey by TripAdvisor...

“Reserving” Chairs: an Unwelcome Practice

84 percent get agitated when others save beach or pool chairs by leaving belongings on them.
37 percent maintain there should be a 30-minute limit on seating being saved, while a further 30 percent will tolerate up to one hour – and just 14 percent think chair hogging for any longer than that is acceptable.
19 percent maintain that saving chairs should not be allowed for any time period.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-i5254-c1-Press_Releases.html

It's a term of endearment used by rednecks to try to boost their inferiority complex. Especially those form Texas where everything is bigger and better then everywhere else. Including there low self-esteem. :whistle:

did you get that from a google search? (cause that's where I got my definition)

Here's a bit from one of my favorite Texas performers telling everyone how he feels about people not from Texas.

I thought you were posting this one:

Our family members who live in a small town just say "city people" vs "yankee move" when somebody in their eyes is rude.

I am not from Texas, nor ever think of living there (too hot, and humid too).

But on passing through Texas, I met some people who were the least likely to ever hoard a pool lounge chair.

So 84% believe if your butt is not in the corporations chair you have no claim to the chair. 30-60 minute chair vacancy is problematic due to lack of official timekeeper. So when you want to take a swim you take your chair into the pool with you.

First world problems.
I only got this far in the topic (on the first page), and didn't read any more. I certainly hope that this thread drifted off topic.:LOL:

Of course these are first world problems. Anything having to do with early retirement is, by definition, a first world problem.

Best place to retire? First world problem.

When to do Roth conversions? First world problem.

When to use tax-exempt funds? First world problem.

We got low-balled on our house? First world problem.​

We manage to discuss all those things in gory detail, so why not 14 pages on lounge chair etiquette?

Some are getting chair fatigue. This isn't a first second third or fourth world problem. This is a behavioral model on how people percieve other people & what is & isn't fair when resources are limited no matter how trivial the resource is perceived to be. It's about entitlement & social interaction. As Spock would say "facinating"

The kids gave me a pad of sticky notes shown below.
80455129150b3bce4ec086761c5be731.image.314x230.jpg

A group of my students gave me this pad. I liked to keep this one in the car for the underground parking lot at w@#k. Hopefully it gives people pause and then a smile.

66d157e6aa4e5d418e233cebca51d5ab.jpg

Last edited:
You see the reason a chair is such a big deal is were trained to recognize a chair represents power authority & wisdom. You've got your thrones for kings & queens. There's the chairman/chairwoman of the board. There's the phrase "we recognize the chair". There's musical chairs & no one wants to be without a chair in that game. We all know from childhood God has a chair or most likely a throne which is a glorified chair. Besides eternity is too long of a time to stand up. The Egyptians would carry the Pharoah around on his own chair to avoid these awkward situations. The chair or lounger really does symbolize much more than just a place to park your butt.

If you're that close to the chair (8 feet to the edge of the pool?), the chair vultures probably know you have a relationship with it.

I believe the original issue was the vultures had observed chair-claimers disappearing for a couple of hours - possibly taking 2-hour walks to go have sex behind a dune somewhere, go to a bar to find someone to have sex with, go back to their room to have sex, etc. All the while, assuming that their chaste little towel or bag would ensure the chair was still there when they finally got back from having all that sex.

So when you want to take a swim you take your chair into the pool with you.

Your on the wrong track. 2 hours for that activity might cause serious injury. If I didn't know any better I'd say your bored with the chair topic & taking this thread off into weeds somewhere. Nice try. After 2 hours I'd be looking for nothing less than a lounger.

Your on the wrong track. 2 hours for that activity might cause serious injury. If I didn't know any better I'd say your bored with the chair topic & taking this thread off into weeds somewhere. Nice try. After 2 hours I'd be looking for nothing less than a lounger.

2 hours would include an hour and 55 minute nap! 😯

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I would rather pay for a nice private lanai with a great view all day than join the hoards on their beach or lounge chairs. Elitist? Maybe. But I truly don't like crowds or noise...

I found my photo of the private beach at the timeshare condo where we stayed in Maui. As people stayed here for at least an entire week like we did, they felt no need to rush out to claim chairs or anything. A Canadian woman we met there said she was staying for 2 weeks, then moving to another timeshare to stay for a month. She was a snowbird, and it was in mid-November.

Last edited:
I bet they had no problem getting a beach chair! One of those guys in the dark glasses probably just "found" chairs that were suddenly available.:rolleyes:

I suspect he would have no problem getting the whole beach to himself. We saw a gunship in one of the inlets and we weren't near any military bases, so I assume it was there just for his visit, along with all the police and helicopter guys. We never saw him, though - just on TV later on.

Last edited:
I believe the original issue was the vultures had observed chair-claimers disappearing for a couple of hours - possibly taking 2-hour walks to go have sex behind a dune somewhere, go to a bar to find someone to have sex with, go back to their room to have sex, etc. All the while, assuming that their chaste little towel or bag would ensure the chair was still there when they finally got back from having all that sex.

Your on the wrong track. 2 hours for that activity might cause serious injury.... After 2 hours I'd be looking for nothing less than a lounger.

Yeah, and when you find that lounger, it's probably going to have a stained white towel on it.

Back
Top Bottom