Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 69.52%
Yes, first come first serve 19 18.10%
Other... please explain 13 12.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #201
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
There again this isn't quite correct, if you want to sit in the empty seats you can. The seat savers are assuming that insisting to sit there will make you so uncomfortable during the flight that you will just move on and let them bully you. You really seem to be coming down on the side of aggressive behavior yourself. Its correct that SW flight attendants normally won't intervene against seat holding hogs, but that doesn't make it right. They allow it because they count on those of us who were raised properly to move on and not make a fuss.

If your motto is we should all get along, then you might address the behavior of the beach chair hogging and seat hogging entitled ones, who actually are the root cause of these problems.
I don't save seats on Southwest or at the beach so it's not me. When I am on vacation I actually like to relax and merely laugh at the people creating problems. I get to the airport early so I am not worried about missing flight (even though I have Pre), I get a drink, I read the paper. I am on vacation from moment one. I merely find Southwest's policy, of no policy, very interesting.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well good. Maybe they are changing their policy - unless the intervention was to say seat saving was allowed.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well good. Maybe they are changing their policy - unless the intervention was to say seat saving was allowed.
it was several years ago; I haven't had an issue in years since I use earlybird every time I fly now but I've seen people trying to save an exit row seat and a tall person just sit down in it
Old 07-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I don't save seats on Southwest or at the beach so it's not me. When I am on vacation I actually like to relax and merely laugh at the people creating problems. I get to the airport early so I am not worried about missing flight (even though I have Pre), I get a drink, I read the paper. I am on vacation from moment one. I merely find Southwest's policy, of no policy, very interesting.
I don't create problems either, but some of your posts seem to make fun of the people who object to the beach chair hogs and seat savers. Turning the other cheek is admirable, but sometimes gets old,particularly when badly behaving people are rewarded for behaving badly.

Southwest's policy is based on money...an early bird check-in costs 15 bucks per ticket.I just read the T and C's if you buy Early bird at ticket purchase time you must buy for every one flying with you. If you buy it at a later date you can buy one early for one person. It does not say you get seats for your whole party with a later purchase.But it's obvious that seat saving could be greatly reduced and fiction over seats as well, if they said you had to buy for your entire traveling group. Yep for an extra 15 bucks in the pocket SW will let you duke out with other travelers for seat selection. It clearly says even with early bird it's first come, first serve on the seats.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #205

Ugh. I just don't like how SWA does things and that's why I hate that they acquired AirTran. They were, by far, my favorite airline. In 200+ flights I took with AT, the number of times I arrived at my destination more than 30 minutes late I could count on one hand. Ah...assigned seats, cheap upgrades, and best of all, the great seating configuration of the DC-9 (sorry, the '717') not the oh-so-hateful 737.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

I agree with others who says, it is just a lawn chair, and to let it go. Life is too short.
I think this bad seat claiming all started on the Titanic, when folks reserved their lifeboat seats and then left to go listen to the band play OMY song. Ever since at sea-side resorts people have paid homage to that event.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
at least the people lie down on their own beach towels and I have never heard an argument in all the years I have gone there
What you have never experienced towel encroachment? It is a big deal on Waikiki Beach...
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #208
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I've seen them intervene
What would you do if they did not intervene?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Perhaps they would get mouthy and then this would happen...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #210

People keep talking about this not being a problem for them because they dont like to sit in the sun anyway. At the resort I was at recently, it was the chairs that were in the shade that were being reserved for hours on end with nobody in sight. I cant sit in the sun for very long either but every chair anywhere near an umbrella or a palapa was reserved literally at daybreak. There would be nobody at the pool for hours because they we eating breakfast or showering or napping after breakfast or whatever these inconsiderate idiots do in the morning....but every chair was already "taken".
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
depends
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't create problems either, but some of your posts seem to make fun of the people who object to the beach chair hogs and seat savers. Turning the other cheek is admirable, but sometimes gets old,particularly when badly behaving people are rewarded for behaving badly.
I make fun of people who think they have the right answer when, at least to me, it's not very clear what proper protocol is (i.e. talk to hotel or take matters into your own hands as if you are the chair police). I also make fun of people who could somehow get so worked up about something so seemingly, at least to me, trivial. Lastly I make fun of, but not too their face, people who threaten fights in these vacation settings.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #213

Man this thread has legs! Classic clip from Anger Management.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
People keep talking about this not being a problem for them because they dont like to sit in the sun anyway. At the resort I was at recently, it was the chairs that were in the shade that were being reserved for hours on end with nobody in sight. I cant sit in the sun for very long either but every chair anywhere near an umbrella or a palapa was reserved literally at daybreak. There would be nobody at the pool for hours because they we eating breakfast or showering or napping after breakfast or whatever these inconsiderate idiots do in the morning....but every chair was already "taken".
And yes this has been the more common thing I have seen. It is the chairs under umbrellas (thank you for the word 'palapa' - I didn't know what the fixed thatched structures were called) or 2 seat lounges with sunshades that get snatched up most vigorously.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I make fun of people who think they have the right answer when, at least to me, it's not very clear what proper protocol is (i.e. talk to hotel or take matters into your own hands as if you are the chair police). I also make fun of people who could somehow get so worked up about something so seemingly, at least to me, trivial. Lastly I make fun of, but not too their face, people who threaten fights in these vacation settings.
I see now, this is where we differ,proper protocol to me is good manners by everyone.If doesn't matter if it's beach chairs hogging or airplane seats. The trivial comments just applies to you as an individual,everyone has something they get very irritated about. People have different levels of aggressiveness too, which is where common politeness can greatly diffuse many issues.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #216

Quote:
If someone tries to "save" a seat on southwest that I want to sit in I just sit in it.

That's specifically not allowed.

First row: "who's sitting there" "my husband" "has he boarded" "no" "that's too bad; do you want the window or aisle seat?"
I haven't flown in over 20 years so I don't know the rules but I thought your ticket was for a specific seat. It should be. That would eliminate the problem.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #217

southwest has always had open seating - no assigned seats
Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #218
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I see now, this is where we differ,proper protocol to me is good manners by everyone.If doesn't matter if it's beach chairs hogging or airplane seats. The trivial comments just applies to you as an individual,everyone has something they get very irritated about. People have different levels of aggressiveness too, which is where common politeness can greatly diffuse many issues.
I don't disagree with that.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #219
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
southwest has always had open seating - no assigned seats
Flyertalk has frequent threads on the topic. It's quite amusing at times.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I haven't flown in over 20 years so I don't know the rules but I thought your ticket was for a specific seat. It should be. That would eliminate the problem.
Ah you are soooooo lucky! No just kidding, I seem to be one of the few who still enjoys flying commercial but even I admit that the experience has changed negatively over the past many years.

Southwest Airlines pioneered what I like to refer to as 'Chaos Seating'. You are in a 'Group' depending on your ticket price and you line up in little herds (sorry Groups). Then each Group goes sequentially onto the plane and takes whatever seat is available.

My understanding is that on smallish planes like SW uses, this is actually one of the more efficient ways to board. Even on big planes, most carriers don't board by specific rows anymore. They give you a group designation, which generally corresponds to your row area on the plane. It's all in the psychology.

(And clearly I have to learn to post more succinctly!)