"Saving" lounge chairs at a beach or pool

Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?

• No, it is rude to other guests

Votes: 73 68.2%
  • Yes, first come first serve

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Other... please explain

Votes: 14 13.1%

• Total voters
Actually I was taking the thread off behind the dunes, but let's not get all fussy and precise.

I guess I didn't realize the resort in question is only for people whose batteries are dead. :LOL:

Your on the wrong track. 2 hours for that activity might cause serious injury. If I didn't know any better I'd say your bored with the chair topic & taking this thread off into weeds somewhere. Nice try. After 2 hours I'd be looking for nothing less than a lounger.

Somebody's "batteries" last 2 hours? :blink:

I thought I heard the TV ads saying one should seek medical attention if "it" lasts too long.

Oh, just search the Web and they say "4 hours". Wowza!

I told the story to my 10 year old and he said, "no, I would never touch someone else's stuff... I would tell someone that works there."

I've been accused of going around half cocked but never half charged. You never want to go to ground half charged.

Somebody's "batteries" last 2 hours? :blink:

I thought I heard the TV ads saying one should seek medical attention if "it" lasts too long.

Oh, just search the Web and they say "4 hours". Wowza!

FTFLeoTolstoy

"[-]Old Age [/-] 4 hours is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man--and his girlfriend." -- Leo Tolstoy

Last edited:
:LOL:

But with so much advertisement, the effect is already anticipated, so would it still be "unexpected"?

:LOL:

But with so much advertisement, the effect is already anticipated, so would it still be "unexpected"?

I think that the four-hour promise is just hype. It's kind of like the lottery, lots of people play it, but very, very few score the big jackpot. So, while the effect may be day-dreamed about, it is not truly anticipated.

I think that the four-hour promise is just hype. It's kind of like the lottery, lots of people play it, but very, very few score the big jackpot. So, while the effect may be day-dreamed about, it is not truly anticipated.

Here's Steve Harvey's take on "four hours".

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I told the story to my 10 year old and he said, "no, I would never touch someone else's stuff... I would tell someone that works there."

Sounds like you and/or their teachers have taught them well.

People go on walks for longer than 30 minutes. If someone had ousted my stuff in that time frame, I would've been chapped too.

Ditto. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I get up early in the morning, our beach towels in tow, and stake out our territory for the day. Early bird gets the worm.

I'm very sensitive to sun, and if I don't get a shady spot I'm confined to the room all day. I'll pass out if I get too hot.

YMMV

Once your 10 year old is older and has put up with enough garbage from enough rude and inconsiderate people, he will change his tune.....or get run over in life. Right now his main experiences and influences are his parents and I'm sure they are well mannered. Unfortunately, thats not the real world.

I have been tempted to go down to the pool at 7:30 and move all the place holders 2 chairs to the left and watch the resulting confusion from our patio!

Once your 10 year old is older and has put up with enough garbage from enough rude and inconsiderate people, he will change his tune.....or get run over in life.

Chair hogs and line jumpers rely on the fact that most people won't speak up. Most of them would be cured of their rudeness very quickly if others called them on it.

I have been tempted to go down to the pool at 7:30 and move all the place holders 2 chairs to the left and watch the resulting confusion from our patio!
:D

Definitely something to keep in mind if a vacation gets boring, also not a bad option for kids with unlimited energy.

Italy has heard our complaints, or one of our members has been noticed hogging the beach in Italy :D

"Italian sunbathers have complained about people claiming beach spots overnight. ... By imposing hefty fines, authorities are hoping to deter towel hogs who stake an overnight spot with sun loungers and umbrellas."

Italy fines tourists who hog beach spots - CNN.com

More info on how the Italians are dealing with beach hogs:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-fine-tourists-for-saving-a-spot-on-the-beach

Well, it's in the form of the Italian Coast Guard.
Authorities from the coasts of Tuscany to Sardinia are cracking down on holidaymakers who seek to reserve prime beach territory by leaving their gear out overnight, with those responsible facing fines of €200 (£170).
The forces behind operation Safe Sea say the use of deckchairs and umbrellas by tourists who want to stake optimal spots is widespread and unfair to others who follow the rules.
On Saturday, the Livorno coastguard seized 37 deck and beach chairs, 30 umbrellas, towels and even some bathing suits, according to a report in La Repubblica.
The coast guard seems to not only be going after eager tourists, but also after some crafty entrepreneurs who are basically trying to sell beach chairs to tourists, and are placing them there first thing in the morning (or sometimes even overnight).
It is not the first time Italian authorities have been forced into action. A few years ago, coastguard officials at a resort in Liguria fined six tourists about €1,000 after they unrolled 10 towels before 6am to reserve spaces on the beach. All of the alleged wrongdoers were over 60.
In another case, a British coach driver was arrested – but not ultimately charged – after he burned towels that were holding spots for German visitors.

Last edited:
You're right. Everyone in the story will carry a towel, and always know exactly where it is, except a few geezers who go around moving everyone else's towel so they can place their own. And then the police arrive, and confiscate the geezers' bathing suits. Hilarity ensues! Or maybe world chaos just gets worse.

Maybe one could spin this into an adventure in a Fantasy Quest! :dance: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...he-fantasy-genre-ideas-83011.html#post1767442

After all, a towel "is about the most massively useful thing an [-]interstellar hitchhiker[/-] fantasy hero[ine] can have"!

Back
Top Bottom