Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 69.52%
Yes, first come first serve 19 18.10%
Other... please explain 13 12.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #261
Moderator Emeritus

I thought you were posting this one:

Our family members who live in a small town just say "city people" vs "yankee move" when somebody in their eyes is rude.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am not from Texas, nor ever think of living there (too hot, and humid too).

But on passing through Texas, I met some people who were the least likely to ever hoard a pool lounge chair.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

So 84% believe if your butt is not in the corporations chair you have no claim to the chair. 30-60 minute chair vacancy is problematic due to lack of official timekeeper. So when you want to take a swim you take your chair into the pool with you.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #264
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
did you get that from a google search? (cause that's where I got my definition)
No Google, just a thought developed through lifetime experience.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #265
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
First world problems.
I only got this far in the topic (on the first page), and didn't read any more. I certainly hope that this thread drifted off topic.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #266
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course these are first world problems. Anything having to do with early retirement is, by definition, a first world problem.
Best place to retire? First world problem.

When to do Roth conversions? First world problem.

When to use tax-exempt funds? First world problem.

We got low-balled on our house? First world problem.
We manage to discuss all those things in gory detail, so why not 14 pages on lounge chair etiquette?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #267
Recycles dryer sheets

Some are getting chair fatigue. This isn't a first second third or fourth world problem. This is a behavioral model on how people percieve other people & what is & isn't fair when resources are limited no matter how trivial the resource is perceived to be. It's about entitlement & social interaction. As Spock would say "facinating"
Old 07-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #268

The kids gave me a pad of sticky notes shown below.

A group of my students gave me this pad. I liked to keep this one in the car for the underground parking lot at w@#k. Hopefully it gives people pause and then a smile.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets

You see the reason a chair is such a big deal is were trained to recognize a chair represents power authority & wisdom. You've got your thrones for kings & queens. There's the chairman/chairwoman of the board. There's the phrase "we recognize the chair". There's musical chairs & no one wants to be without a chair in that game. We all know from childhood God has a chair or most likely a throne which is a glorified chair. Besides eternity is too long of a time to stand up. The Egyptians would carry the Pharoah around on his own chair to avoid these awkward situations. The chair or lounger really does symbolize much more than just a place to park your butt.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #270

If you're that close to the chair (8 feet to the edge of the pool?), the chair vultures probably know you have a relationship with it.

I believe the original issue was the vultures had observed chair-claimers disappearing for a couple of hours - possibly taking 2-hour walks to go have sex behind a dune somewhere, go to a bar to find someone to have sex with, go back to their room to have sex, etc. All the while, assuming that their chaste little towel or bag would ensure the chair was still there when they finally got back from having all that sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
So when you want to take a swim you take your chair into the pool with you.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #271
Recycles dryer sheets

Your on the wrong track. 2 hours for that activity might cause serious injury. If I didn't know any better I'd say your bored with the chair topic & taking this thread off into weeds somewhere. Nice try. After 2 hours I'd be looking for nothing less than a lounger.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #272
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Your on the wrong track. 2 hours for that activity might cause serious injury. If I didn't know any better I'd say your bored with the chair topic & taking this thread off into weeds somewhere. Nice try. After 2 hours I'd be looking for nothing less than a lounger.
2 hours would include an hour and 55 minute nap! 😯

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I would rather pay for a nice private lanai with a great view all day than join the hoards on their beach or lounge chairs. Elitist? Maybe. But I truly don't like crowds or noise...
I found my photo of the private beach at the timeshare condo where we stayed in Maui. As people stayed here for at least an entire week like we did, they felt no need to rush out to claim chairs or anything. A Canadian woman we met there said she was staying for 2 weeks, then moving to another timeshare to stay for a month. She was a snowbird, and it was in mid-November.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
I bet they had no problem getting a beach chair! One of those guys in the dark glasses probably just "found" chairs that were suddenly available.
I suspect he would have no problem getting the whole beach to himself. We saw a gunship in one of the inlets and we weren't near any military bases, so I assume it was there just for his visit, along with all the police and helicopter guys. We never saw him, though - just on TV later on.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I believe the original issue was the vultures had observed chair-claimers disappearing for a couple of hours - possibly taking 2-hour walks to go have sex behind a dune somewhere, go to a bar to find someone to have sex with, go back to their room to have sex, etc. All the while, assuming that their chaste little towel or bag would ensure the chair was still there when they finally got back from having all that sex.
Quote:
Your on the wrong track. 2 hours for that activity might cause serious injury.... After 2 hours I'd be looking for nothing less than a lounger.
Yeah, and when you find that lounger, it's probably going to have a stained white towel on it.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #276

Actually I was taking the thread off behind the dunes, but let's not get all fussy and precise.

I guess I didn't realize the resort in question is only for people whose batteries are dead.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Somebody's "batteries" last 2 hours?

I thought I heard the TV ads saying one should seek medical attention if "it" lasts too long.

Oh, just search the Web and they say "4 hours". Wowza!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:30 PM   #278
Recycles dryer sheets

I told the story to my 10 year old and he said, "no, I would never touch someone else's stuff... I would tell someone that works there."
Old 07-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #279
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been accused of going around half cocked but never half charged. You never want to go to ground half charged.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Somebody's "batteries" last 2 hours?

I thought I heard the TV ads saying one should seek medical attention if "it" lasts too long.

Oh, just search the Web and they say "4 hours". Wowza!

FTFLeoTolstoy

"Old Age 4 hours is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man--and his girlfriend." -- Leo Tolstoy