Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 68.22%
Yes, first come first serve 20 18.69%
Other... please explain 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2016, 06:57 PM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

But with so much advertisement, the effect is already anticipated, so would it still be "unexpected"?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #282
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

But with so much advertisement, the effect is already anticipated, so would it still be "unexpected"?
I think that the four-hour promise is just hype. It's kind of like the lottery, lots of people play it, but very, very few score the big jackpot. So, while the effect may be day-dreamed about, it is not truly anticipated.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #283
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I think that the four-hour promise is just hype. It's kind of like the lottery, lots of people play it, but very, very few score the big jackpot. So, while the effect may be day-dreamed about, it is not truly anticipated.

Here's Steve Harvey's take on "four hours".

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I told the story to my 10 year old and he said, "no, I would never touch someone else's stuff... I would tell someone that works there."
not surprised
Old 08-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #285

Quote:
I told the story to my 10 year old and he said, "no, I would never touch someone else's stuff... I would tell someone that works there."
Sounds like you and/or their teachers have taught them well.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #286
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
People go on walks for longer than 30 minutes. If someone had ousted my stuff in that time frame, I would've been chapped too.
Ditto. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I get up early in the morning, our beach towels in tow, and stake out our territory for the day. Early bird gets the worm.

I'm very sensitive to sun, and if I don't get a shady spot I'm confined to the room all day. I'll pass out if I get too hot.

YMMV
Old 08-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #287

Quote:
Once your 10 year old is older and has put up with enough garbage from enough rude and inconsiderate people, he will change his tune.....or get run over in life. Right now his main experiences and influences are his parents and I'm sure they are well mannered. Unfortunately, thats not the real world.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #288
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have been tempted to go down to the pool at 7:30 and move all the place holders 2 chairs to the left and watch the resulting confusion from our patio!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Once your 10 year old is older and has put up with enough garbage from enough rude and inconsiderate people, he will change his tune.....or get run over in life.
Chair hogs and line jumpers rely on the fact that most people won't speak up. Most of them would be cured of their rudeness very quickly if others called them on it.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I have been tempted to go down to the pool at 7:30 and move all the place holders 2 chairs to the left and watch the resulting confusion from our patio!

Definitely something to keep in mind if a vacation gets boring, also not a bad option for kids with unlimited energy.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #291

Italy has heard our complaints, or one of our members has been noticed hogging the beach in Italy

"Italian sunbathers have complained about people claiming beach spots overnight. ... By imposing hefty fines, authorities are hoping to deter towel hogs who stake an overnight spot with sun loungers and umbrellas."

Italy fines tourists who hog beach spots - CNN.com
Old 08-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #292
Give me a forum ...

More info on how the Italians are dealing with beach hogs:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-on-the-beach

Well, it's in the form of the Italian Coast Guard.
Quote:
Authorities from the coasts of Tuscany to Sardinia are cracking down on holidaymakers who seek to reserve prime beach territory by leaving their gear out overnight, with those responsible facing fines of €200 (170).
The forces behind operation Safe Sea say the use of deckchairs and umbrellas by tourists who want to stake optimal spots is widespread and unfair to others who follow the rules.
On Saturday, the Livorno coastguard seized 37 deck and beach chairs, 30 umbrellas, towels and even some bathing suits, according to a report in La Repubblica.
Quote:
The coast guard seems to not only be going after eager tourists, but also after some crafty entrepreneurs who are basically trying to sell beach chairs to tourists, and are placing them there first thing in the morning (or sometimes even overnight).
Quote:
It is not the first time Italian authorities have been forced into action. A few years ago, coastguard officials at a resort in Liguria fined six tourists about €1,000 after they unrolled 10 towels before 6am to reserve spaces on the beach. All of the alleged wrongdoers were over 60.
In another case, a British coach driver was arrested – but not ultimately charged – after he burned towels that were holding spots for German visitors.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #293
Give me a forum ...

OMG, all over 60, and some of them were without their bathing suits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
More info on how the Italians are dealing with beach hogs:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-on-the-beach

Well, it's in the form of the Italian Coast Guard.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
OMG, all over 60, and some of them were without their bathing suits!
Maybe one could spin this into an adventure in a Fantasy Quest! Do you like the fantasy genre? Ideas

After all, a towel "is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker fantasy hero[ine] can have"!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #295
Give me a forum ...

You're right. Everyone in the story will carry a towel, and always know exactly where it is, except a few geezers who go around moving everyone else's towel so they can place their own. And then the police arrive, and confiscate the geezers' bathing suits. Hilarity ensues! Or maybe world chaos just gets worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Maybe one could spin this into an adventure in a Fantasy Quest! Do you like the fantasy genre? Ideas

After all, a towel "is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker fantasy hero[ine] can have"!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
And then the police arrive, and confiscate the geezers' bathing suits. Hilarity ensues! Or maybe world chaos just gets worse.
... and please do not post pictures.