Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 69.52%
Yes, first come first serve 19 18.10%
Other... please explain 13 12.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
That's funny because we see this from completely different sides...I think the person who left their stuff on the beach chair for hours and then left the property is the bully, not me... they are a "beach chair bully." They have no right to "save" a chair that they are not using and then leave for hours, and I consider myself to be standing up to THEIR bullying, and I will stand up for myself as well. I suppose if I did that to you neither of us would back down and we would find out who is the stronger man.
I agree they should not leave for hours. Hotel staff should be notified in that case. Under NO circumstances do YOU touch the other persons property. The hotel staff has control of the chairs. They can remove the other persons things and hold them at the hotel desk. You can not. I would try to get hotel staff involved and the police if necessary since you messed with my personal property but if pushed I would put you in your place. Then call the police and an attorney.
__________________

__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How is a towel, that is owned by the resort, someone's property any more then the chair is their property? You take a towel owned by the resort, put it on a chair owned by the resort and that entitles you sitting rights on the chair all day, even if you are no where near the chair?
Exactly. It's ridiculous to me how some people keep talking about "my chair" or "their chair" as if they own it, or they talk about someone being in "possession" of the chair when they are nowhere near the chair and not even on the beach. Ridiculous.
__________________

__________________
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
don't get cheap on me

how about a sack of expensive nuts and a nice cocktail?
Too slow, the fight might be over by then. Old guys ya know...
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.
Philliefan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
That's funny because we see this from completely different sides...I think the person who left their stuff on the beach chair for hours and then left the property is the bully, not me... they are a "beach chair bully." They have no right to "save" a chair that they are not using and then leave for hours, and I consider myself to be standing up to THEIR bullying, and I will stand up for myself as well. I suppose if I did that to you neither of us would back down and we would find out who is the stronger man.

Except in the OP's situation she watched the chairs and saw them unoccupied for 30 minutes, not hours.
__________________
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I agree they should not leave for hours. Hotel staff should be notified in that case. Under NO circumstances do YOU touch the other persons property. The hotel staff has control of the chairs. They can remove the other persons things and hold them at the hotel desk. You can not. I would try to get hotel staff involved and the police if necessary since you messed with my personal property but if pushed I would put you in your place. Then call the police and an attorney.
At least we agree that they should not leave for hours, that's something.

I don't agree that I cannot touch their stuff and good luck trying to get the police involved since I did not break any laws, the police will not do anything. I am a guest using the amenities of the hotel. When the police explain that to you and walk away, I don't see how I will be put in my place. And all of the forum members who will be standing around with their popcorn and beer will be disappointed that we did not fight it out.
__________________
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I agree they should not leave for hours. Hotel staff should be notified in that case. Under NO circumstances do YOU touch the other persons property. The hotel staff has control of the chairs. They can remove the other persons things and hold them at the hotel desk. You can not. I would try to get hotel staff involved and the police if necessary since you messed with my personal property but if pushed I would put you in your place. Then call the police and an attorney.
Youre gonna call the police because I dumped your tube of sunblock on the ground? Good luck with that one. Exactly what is my crime? Please check the penal code and get back to me.
__________________
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets
Cassius King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 170
How are so many missing the point here?! The problem is with the hotel not having enough chairs for their customers.

Not a forum of people determining/arguing over what determines possession, what a reasonable time left unattended is, if the purpose for leaving their chair (beach walk or lunch) was worthy or not and whether its cause enough to warrant confrontation, even physical.

Please, for the sake of my opinion on humanity, tell me this thread is a joke?! Please!
__________________
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: philly
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I'm with you, I think it's selfish and inconsiderate.
I have been known to hijack a chair on occasion. Never have been confronted.
+100

We go to Disney and this is a common problem. Generally I contact the hotel staff. 30 minutes no problem, 3 hours that means no use.
__________________
My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue? it sometimes rather denotes a lack of courage~Aunt Francis
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Please, for the sake of my opinion on humanity, tell me this thread is a joke?! Please!
this is the best thread in weeks - well at least since brexit
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
How are so many missing the point here?! The problem is with the hotel not having enough chairs for their customers.

Not a forum of people determining/arguing over what determines possession, what a reasonable time left unattended is, if the purpose for leaving their chair (beach walk or lunch) was worthy or not and whether its cause enough to warrant confrontation, even physical.

Please, for the sake of my opinion on humanity, tell me this thread is a joke?! Please!
+1 the problem seems to be over "touching stuff" as in simply removing it from the chair...some have even called it "stealing" which it obviously isn't. When at these resorts everyone needs to realize there aren't enough chairs to go around and be willing to work things out, not just have the "every man for himself" mindset.
__________________
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
+1 the problem seems to be over "touching stuff" as in simply removing it from the chair...some have even called it "stealing" which it obviously isn't. When at these resorts everyone needs to realize there aren't enough chairs to go around and be willing to work things out, not just have the "every man for himself" mindset.
If there aren't enough chairs for everyone then it's first come first served. Don't expect to show up mid day and get a chair if everyone else got up and got one at 8am. It's similar to cutting a line. You don't get to come in late and take someone else's spot.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: philly
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
How are so many missing the point here?! The problem is with the hotel not having enough chairs for their customers.

Not a forum of people determining/arguing over what determines possession, what a reasonable time left unattended is, if the purpose for leaving their chair (beach walk or lunch) was worthy or not and whether its cause enough to warrant confrontation, even physical.

Please, for the sake of my opinion on humanity, tell me this thread is a joke?! Please!
you're definitely correct but I don't see it as one problem. yes they may need more chairs BUT people also need to be considerate.

I actually saw a huge argument break out at a wedding reception. couple had lobster tails on the spread so one guest decided to basically take 10 at a time and hoard them. yes, he was a guest and they were part of the buffet but that doesn't mean selfishness is tolerated.

basically what people are doing is preventing others from using services for hours at a time. you can't take 4 chairs out of service for 1/2 day while you enjoy the parks (generall "you" not specific)
Just my take
__________________
My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue? it sometimes rather denotes a lack of courage~Aunt Francis
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #113
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If there aren't enough chairs for everyone then it's first come first served. Don't expect to show up mid day and get a chair if everyone else got up and got one at 8am. It's similar to cutting a line. You don't get to come in late and take someone else's spot.
What if I have an excursion planned for the day and don't need a chair until maybe 2 PM...should I block the chair at 7AM so that no one else can sit there all day? In my case I would not block the chair, when I returned I would look for an open or abandoned chair... some people would simply block the chair at 7 AM...which way is correct? I think you are saying if I want the chair I have to claim it and just not use it.
__________________
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #114
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What if I have an excursion planned for the day and don't need a chair until maybe 2 PM...should I block the chair at 7AM so that no one else can sit there all day? In my case I would not block the chair, when I returned I would look for an open or abandoned chair... some people would simply block the chair at 7 AM...which way is correct? I think you are saying if I want the chair I have to claim it and just not use it.
No, blocking a chair from 7am to 2pm is not okay but you don't fix a wrong by committing a greater one. Inform the hotel manager and let them decide what to do with their chair.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Inform the hotel manager and let them decide what to do with their chair.
It's not "their chair."
__________________
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
It's not "their chair."
I meant the hotel's chair.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 676
At the resort in Mexico we've stayed at, it's chairs around the pools that's a problem. We've gone down to breakfast, seeing at least half the chairs reserved. Upon returning to our room and getting ready for the beach (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours later), most are still vacant, towels/personal items unmoved. I think the hotel policy is no reserving, but it's only enforced if a guest complains. I've heard that some resorts have pool attendants remove items after they observe non-use for a long period. About the only time reserving doesn't bother me is when at least one person stays with the chairs while the others are at breakfast.

I will add that while I don't like reserving chairs, it doesn't affect our stay. We pay a little extra to get perks that include a reserved beach area that always has chairs available.
__________________
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #118
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I meant the hotel's chair.
I do not need to contact the hotel manager to find out if I can use a hotel chair that is there for my use as a guest, I think that would be a silly question and a waste of my time.
__________________
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #119
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,101
Our hotel in Hawaii actually enforced the 30 minute rule and staff removed towels from "idle" lounges. I doubt they did it at exactly 30 minutes, but it was still gratifying to see.
I might have done the first half of what OP did. If I truly believed the people had unfairly reserved the lounge, I would have carefully placed the towels on the sand. But, if the people came back I would have given up the lounges. I just don't trust people, and frankly would have been concerned about their reaction then or even later when I was unsuspecting. Maybe that means I'm a wimp, but for me life's too short to fight over a lounge chair.
__________________
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #120
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,627
If everyone would stop with the reserving of the chairs, there *might* actually be enough to go around.

Very inefficient process. Management should manage the situation by either reclaiming unused chairs or purchasing enough chairs to go around. They could make a business decision based on the the cost of labor (monitoring/enforcement) vs cost of additional chairs.

If they are not doing this, then that is the type of thing that I would like to hear about on tripadvisor etc.

-gauss
__________________

__________________
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clearwater Beach, Florida vs. Lanikai Beach, Oahu kneehigh Travel Information 17 03-04-2016 01:35 PM
Massage Chairs? yakers Other topics 7 10-24-2013 04:49 PM
(RE) Wahoo's Lounge, San Pedro, Belize Gone4Good Travel Information 29 01-18-2012 05:20 PM
"The Giant Global Pool of (subprime) Money" Nords Other topics 10 09-28-2008 05:32 AM
What the heck is a "comingled pool"?? jazz4cash FIRE and Money 13 04-30-2007 01:59 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:45 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.