Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 68.22%
Yes, first come first serve 20 18.69%
Other... please explain 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
That's funny because we see this from completely different sides...I think the person who left their stuff on the beach chair for hours and then left the property is the bully, not me... they are a "beach chair bully." They have no right to "save" a chair that they are not using and then leave for hours, and I consider myself to be standing up to THEIR bullying, and I will stand up for myself as well. I suppose if I did that to you neither of us would back down and we would find out who is the stronger man.
I agree they should not leave for hours. Hotel staff should be notified in that case. Under NO circumstances do YOU touch the other persons property. The hotel staff has control of the chairs. They can remove the other persons things and hold them at the hotel desk. You can not. I would try to get hotel staff involved and the police if necessary since you messed with my personal property but if pushed I would put you in your place. Then call the police and an attorney.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How is a towel, that is owned by the resort, someone's property any more then the chair is their property? You take a towel owned by the resort, put it on a chair owned by the resort and that entitles you sitting rights on the chair all day, even if you are no where near the chair?
Exactly. It's ridiculous to me how some people keep talking about "my chair" or "their chair" as if they own it, or they talk about someone being in "possession" of the chair when they are nowhere near the chair and not even on the beach. Ridiculous.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
don't get cheap on me

how about a sack of expensive nuts and a nice cocktail?
Too slow, the fight might be over by then. Old guys ya know...
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #104

Quote:
That's funny because we see this from completely different sides...I think the person who left their stuff on the beach chair for hours and then left the property is the bully, not me... they are a "beach chair bully." They have no right to "save" a chair that they are not using and then leave for hours, and I consider myself to be standing up to THEIR bullying, and I will stand up for myself as well. I suppose if I did that to you neither of us would back down and we would find out who is the stronger man.

Except in the OP's situation she watched the chairs and saw them unoccupied for 30 minutes, not hours.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I agree they should not leave for hours. Hotel staff should be notified in that case. Under NO circumstances do YOU touch the other persons property. The hotel staff has control of the chairs. They can remove the other persons things and hold them at the hotel desk. You can not. I would try to get hotel staff involved and the police if necessary since you messed with my personal property but if pushed I would put you in your place. Then call the police and an attorney.
At least we agree that they should not leave for hours, that's something.

I don't agree that I cannot touch their stuff and good luck trying to get the police involved since I did not break any laws, the police will not do anything. I am a guest using the amenities of the hotel. When the police explain that to you and walk away, I don't see how I will be put in my place. And all of the forum members who will be standing around with their popcorn and beer will be disappointed that we did not fight it out.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #106

Quote:
Youre gonna call the police because I dumped your tube of sunblock on the ground? Good luck with that one. Exactly what is my crime? Please check the penal code and get back to me.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

How are so many missing the point here?! The problem is with the hotel not having enough chairs for their customers.

Not a forum of people determining/arguing over what determines possession, what a reasonable time left unattended is, if the purpose for leaving their chair (beach walk or lunch) was worthy or not and whether its cause enough to warrant confrontation, even physical.

Please, for the sake of my opinion on humanity, tell me this thread is a joke?! Please!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I'm with you, I think it's selfish and inconsiderate.
I have been known to hijack a chair on occasion. Never have been confronted.
+100

We go to Disney and this is a common problem. Generally I contact the hotel staff. 30 minutes no problem, 3 hours that means no use.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Please, for the sake of my opinion on humanity, tell me this thread is a joke?! Please!
this is the best thread in weeks - well at least since brexit
Old 07-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How are so many missing the point here?! The problem is with the hotel not having enough chairs for their customers.

Not a forum of people determining/arguing over what determines possession, what a reasonable time left unattended is, if the purpose for leaving their chair (beach walk or lunch) was worthy or not and whether its cause enough to warrant confrontation, even physical.

+1 the problem seems to be over "touching stuff" as in simply removing it from the chair...some have even called it "stealing" which it obviously isn't. When at these resorts everyone needs to realize there aren't enough chairs to go around and be willing to work things out, not just have the "every man for himself" mindset.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1 the problem seems to be over "touching stuff" as in simply removing it from the chair...some have even called it "stealing" which it obviously isn't. When at these resorts everyone needs to realize there aren't enough chairs to go around and be willing to work things out, not just have the "every man for himself" mindset.
If there aren't enough chairs for everyone then it's first come first served. Don't expect to show up mid day and get a chair if everyone else got up and got one at 8am. It's similar to cutting a line. You don't get to come in late and take someone else's spot.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #112

Quote:

you're definitely correct but I don't see it as one problem. yes they may need more chairs BUT people also need to be considerate.

I actually saw a huge argument break out at a wedding reception. couple had lobster tails on the spread so one guest decided to basically take 10 at a time and hoard them. yes, he was a guest and they were part of the buffet but that doesn't mean selfishness is tolerated.

basically what people are doing is preventing others from using services for hours at a time. you can't take 4 chairs out of service for 1/2 day while you enjoy the parks (generall "you" not specific)
Just my take
Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If there aren't enough chairs for everyone then it's first come first served. Don't expect to show up mid day and get a chair if everyone else got up and got one at 8am. It's similar to cutting a line. You don't get to come in late and take someone else's spot.
What if I have an excursion planned for the day and don't need a chair until maybe 2 PM...should I block the chair at 7AM so that no one else can sit there all day? In my case I would not block the chair, when I returned I would look for an open or abandoned chair... some people would simply block the chair at 7 AM...which way is correct? I think you are saying if I want the chair I have to claim it and just not use it.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What if I have an excursion planned for the day and don't need a chair until maybe 2 PM...should I block the chair at 7AM so that no one else can sit there all day? In my case I would not block the chair, when I returned I would look for an open or abandoned chair... some people would simply block the chair at 7 AM...which way is correct? I think you are saying if I want the chair I have to claim it and just not use it.
No, blocking a chair from 7am to 2pm is not okay but you don't fix a wrong by committing a greater one. Inform the hotel manager and let them decide what to do with their chair.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #115

Quote:
Inform the hotel manager and let them decide what to do with their chair.
It's not "their chair."
Old 07-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's not "their chair."
I meant the hotel's chair.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

At the resort in Mexico we've stayed at, it's chairs around the pools that's a problem. We've gone down to breakfast, seeing at least half the chairs reserved. Upon returning to our room and getting ready for the beach (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours later), most are still vacant, towels/personal items unmoved. I think the hotel policy is no reserving, but it's only enforced if a guest complains. I've heard that some resorts have pool attendants remove items after they observe non-use for a long period. About the only time reserving doesn't bother me is when at least one person stays with the chairs while the others are at breakfast.

I will add that while I don't like reserving chairs, it doesn't affect our stay. We pay a little extra to get perks that include a reserved beach area that always has chairs available.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #118

Quote:
I meant the hotel's chair.
I do not need to contact the hotel manager to find out if I can use a hotel chair that is there for my use as a guest, I think that would be a silly question and a waste of my time.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #119

Our hotel in Hawaii actually enforced the 30 minute rule and staff removed towels from "idle" lounges. I doubt they did it at exactly 30 minutes, but it was still gratifying to see.
I might have done the first half of what OP did. If I truly believed the people had unfairly reserved the lounge, I would have carefully placed the towels on the sand. But, if the people came back I would have given up the lounges. I just don't trust people, and frankly would have been concerned about their reaction then or even later when I was unsuspecting. Maybe that means I'm a wimp, but for me life's too short to fight over a lounge chair.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #120

If everyone would stop with the reserving of the chairs, there *might* actually be enough to go around.

Very inefficient process. Management should manage the situation by either reclaiming unused chairs or purchasing enough chairs to go around. They could make a business decision based on the the cost of labor (monitoring/enforcement) vs cost of additional chairs.

If they are not doing this, then that is the type of thing that I would like to hear about on tripadvisor etc.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote