Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 68.22%
Yes, first come first serve 20 18.69%
Other... please explain 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
How are so many missing the point here?! The problem is with the hotel not having enough chairs for their customers.
That doesn't work for around a pool. You can only fit a finite number of chairs around a pool.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
...but for me life's too short to fight over a lounge chair.
Apparently most people feel that way and that is why beach chair bullies usually get away with it.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
No, blocking a chair from 7am to 2pm is not okay but you don't fix a wrong by committing a greater one. Inform the hotel manager and let them decide what to do with their chair.
In a perfect world this would work, but here's what I see in real life. Pool employees can either deal with 2 hacked off parties..the chair hoarder and the chairless or just one hacked off party the chairless...it's way easier to deal with just one irate person so that what happens 99% of the time is you get a smile and a "I'm sorry there are no chairs". This happens at resorts where they clearly have signs posted that say after one hour without use your belongings will be removed"
Old 07-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #124

after 7 pages, I'm just thankful that I don't have to travel to go on vacation - geez!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pretty simple to solve. People leave their crap there? It's now eligible for reuse. Sit down, relax. There's a book? Read it. Sunglasses? Towels? Sunscreen? Use it! Oh that's your stuff? How silly, my mistake! I lost mine somewhere around here. Have a nice day.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
And I'm certainly not touching people's personal items.
Personal items include an iPad and a purse. I agree.

But if it a resort towel and a pocketbook from the exchange, then off to the pool shack it goes. These people are just selfish. I dislike selfish behaviour even if they justify it by claiming that everybody does it! Yes everybody does a lot of antisocial things.

Fortunately for my wife, I am not a sun-tanner. So the odds of this happening is low but once in a while it happens.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
after 7 pages, I'm just thankful that I don't have to travel to go on vacation - geez!
It gets less appealing every time. We were at a pretty nice hotel one night and massive door slamming and loud talking out in the hall for like an hour at 1 AM. I finally poke my head out and see people in fancy type wedding clothes and say, It's really late and you guys are making a lot of noise.One gal looks at me says "Well, this is a hotel." I respond, "Yes that's right and people are trying to sleep." Stuff like this takes a lot of the fun out of traveling...
Old 07-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If there aren't enough chairs for everyone then it's first come first served. Don't expect to show up mid day and get a chair if everyone else got up and got one at 8am. It's similar to cutting a line. You don't get to come in late and take someone else's spot.
As was said earlier in the thread, how are you cutting in line if they left a pair of shoes in the ticket line and left to have dinner, they would be lucky to ever see their shoes again!! If there is a hotel towel on a chair and no one around for over 30 minutes, I assume the chair is abandoned and they were rude and left a towel for the hotel to clean up. I may even be nice and put the towel in the dirty towel bin (if there is one) before I move to take the chair for my use.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It gets less appealing every time. We were at a pretty nice hotel one night and massive door slamming and loud talking out in the hall for like an hour at 1 AM. I finally poke my head out and see people in fancy type wedding clothes and say, It's really late and you guys are making a lot of noise.One gal looks at me says "Well, this is a hotel." I respond, "Yes that's right and people are trying to sleep." Stuff like this takes a lot of the fun out of traveling...
I agree. The noise at hotels is often excessive. I don't just let it go anymore though. I will call the manager and if that doesn't work then i'll call the police. At that time of night it is a noise ordinance violation at minimum and possibly disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace. If you do nothing, they will just keep doing it.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

"Can't we all just get along" Rodney King philosopher circa 1991. Obviously Rodney spent no time on a cruise ship or resort.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman59 View Post
if there is a hotel towel on a chair and no one around for over 30 minutes, i assume the chair is abandoned and they were rude and left a towel for the hotel to clean up. I may even be nice and put the towel in the dirty towel bin (if there is one) before i move to take the chair for my use.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If I came back and my chair was taken and I knew who took it, I would take it back by any amount of force that was necessary. If you end up in the hospital and I end up in jail, so be it. Don't touch other peoples things.

Quote:
No, blocking a chair from 7am to 2pm is not okay but you don't fix a wrong by committing a greater one. Inform the hotel manager and let them decide what to do with their chair.

So, sending someone to the hospital is not committing a greater wrong?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

If everyone followed the things I learned in "ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN", the world would be a better place.

ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN
Old 07-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Open season on chair seagulls
Old 07-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #135

Quote:
If I came back and my chair was taken and I knew who took it, I would take it back by any amount of force that was necessary. If you end up in the hospital and I end up in jail, so be it. Don't touch other peoples things.
One day you might be the one who ends up in the hospital. And after your recovery you can start a thread on how awful the medical care was in whatever country you were in when you decided to pick a fight over a hotel beach chair that you left unattended for 3 hours but somehow thought that you still "owned" it...

Your chair that you brought from your home is your chair. The hotel chair is for guests to use as needed, and is not for people to "save" for hours on end just because they think they are special or more important.

Remember...it's not always about you.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
We will be at the beach, not the pool.
That's no fun--what about the scene when everybody ends up throwing things and other people in the pool? Not nearly as funny or splashtastic on a beach.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

You would think it is fun until someone pulls out an Uzi and starts to spray lead.

I am not spending money to go on a vacation to catch a stray bullet. Heck, I have my own swimming pool, which I just spent 45 minutes this morning to clean and to backwash the filter.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #138

What's the record for the most thread responses in an 8 hour period?
Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #139

This is one of a few "hot button" debates on the Cruise Critic board along with dress code issues
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #140

Breaking news;

Resort locked down after gun violence erupts over lounge chairs. 3 killed, 5 wounded, full story at 6