Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 68.22%
Yes, first come first serve 20 18.69%
Other... please explain 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow this is impressive. Have been to several resorts where this has been an issue. Really the argument you have is with the resort I would say. There is a clear problem with not enough lounge chairs to accommodate demand. That said, I would tend to agree with the general sentiment that I have picked up on reading the thread (OMG did I really read this thread!!!) - 1) reserving is not good 2) moving someone's personal items and taking 'their' chairs is not good and 3) not giving up the chairs gracefully when busted is not good (though the last point I am not sure of the majority opinion). Perhaps a couple more related polls, after all there is a long weekend coming up!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, this really sounds like fun! I think I will continue to go to Lake Washington where although the water is kind of cold, at least the people lie down on their own beach towels and I have never heard an argument in all the years I have gone there.

Mass travel seems more and more like an expensive heavily marketed torture.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
<snip>

This brings my evil proposed solution for the OP. Bring a bag of Cheetos with you. Don't bother moving their stuff or claiming their rudely reserved chairs... but "accidentally" drop some cheetos on the bag/towel.... Then place yourself someplace distant but in view. Enjoy the seagull fun... and enjoy seeing the rude chair reservers dismayed to find their unattended stuff askew and messed up by the seagulls.

Ok... I probably wouldn't do that... but the evil side of me would want to.
That is evil. Hilarious, but evil.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Travel used to be what one did in order to reach a vacation spot, but now it's become so magical and awe-inspiring to people that it has changed from a verb to a noun
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #165

As a person who generally doesn't give a damn about beach chairs or chairs by the pool...

Yes, this topic has been talked about ad nauseam on Cruise Critic.

Yes, I think it is appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool but only for a certain period of time.
IMO, saving it for just over an hour is fair because it gives people a reasonable amount of time to go get a meal while keeping their seat. I also think it's reasonable to save the chair to get some food.

I would not move a person's stuff off of a chair partly because it's not my style and partly because I would not stick around waiting to see if someone was gone from a chair for over an hour.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #166

I love the idea of the Cheetoes on the chair. I may just do that for fun and watch the fun from my balcony! 😈

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #167
Gone but not forgotten

Since we don't go to resorts or big name hotels, we couldn't comment on "saving" lounge chairs. When Motel 6 has a pool, there are usually enough lounge chairs for the few people who use it.

On the other hand, we have a lot of experience with lounge chairs at Daytona Beach. They're rented off the back of a truck, with an hourly charge and a deposit. The problem is a little different than "saving" the lounge chair the way it's been explained.

Here's what happened the first time we did the rental: DW went in for a dip, and I went up to the rest rooms for a few minutes. When we got back, not only were our towels and the beach bag gone, but so were the lounge chairs... returned for the deposit.

We learned... after that, we tied the chairs together, an only one of us ever left at a time... the exception being that when we went boogie boarding together, we brought the lounge chairs with us... A little awkward, but the bathers gave us lots of room, and we never had a problem again.

.and about the rental sunbrellas....
Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

where's porky?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
OT, but I'd like to comment anyway.

In addition to arguments when people hog overhead space- try starting a discussion on frequent flyer boards about who gets the armrest, whether or not it's OK to recline your seat and large passengers in Coach. Airlines have scraped away every possible square millimeter of space in Coach and yes, there's at least pent-up resentment and the occasional outright argument over who gets the remaining space. Up in the pointy end of the plane, things are far more serene. I was once waiting in the Business Class line in Customer service for American when we had to be rebooked due to problems. Naturally, there were far fewer passengers in the Business Class line per number of agents and a HUGE queue of Coach passengers. When a Coach agent finished with a customer, she beckoned me over to her desk. I thought the Coach passengers were gonna riot. I chose to wait for the Business Class agent, just because Coach passengers had it bad enough.

To get back to resorts/cruise ships- I'm not sure if it's possible for some of these places to have enough chairs at peak hours. I've never been on a mega-ship but even with a couple of pools, how can there be enough chairs for the subset of 5,000 passengers likely to want one at 2 PM on a nice day? It may be possible for resorts and smaller ships, and they should provide enough chairs if possible.

That's why I ALWAYS get a balcony cabin or suite. I can always get a view of the ocean and no irritating kids or drunks running around.

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
where's porky?
Feel free to report any posts that you feel violate the community rules. (To report - click on the triangle with exclamation point to the left of the offending text.) I'll admit I skimmed a lot of the posts, but didn't see anything that violated the rules... But I may have missed an offensive post.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Feel free to report any posts that you feel violate the community rules. (To report - click on the triangle with exclamation point to the left of the offending text.) I'll admit I skimmed a lot of the posts, but didn't see anything that violated the rules... But I may have missed an offensive post.
I couldn't find a beating the dead horse rule. J/K
Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #172

Quote:

No violation of the rules but we do have an icon.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #173

Quote:
You alone have over 10% of the post in this thread
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #174

We are hitting a posting wall people. The horse isn't dead. It's just getting fed watered & taking a nap. Clearly were at the forming a committee stage. We have a responsibility to solve this vexing issue. Without proper chair etiquette we have nothing. The world is watching.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

One way to solve the issue is to require hotels to have one chair per guest. They will complain that there's not enough pool deck for all those chairs, but hey, tough luck. Maybe someone can find an inventive way to accommodate the number of chairs, such as building double-decked or triple-decked chairs.

Conservatives will say that we must promote personal responsibility and require guests to bring their own chairs. But then, liberals will say that some people cannot afford chairs, and we must subsidize them.

We are getting nowhere fast. I think I will slowly lose my desire to travel.

Oh wait! Who says I have to go to places with pools? I have my own pool, for crying out loud.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
You alone have over 10% of the post in this thread
that was the point
Old 07-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Wow, this really sounds like fun! I think I will continue to go to Lake Washington where although the water is kind of cold, at least the people lie down on their own beach towels and I have never heard an argument in all the years I have gone there.

Ha
I totally agree and have no idea why people do it.

I'm amazed that anyone could possibly want this kind of experience enough to actually pay for it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

... But, our society is FULL of narcissistic ass clowns so these things happen day in and day out. Don't believe me? Just look how many cars aren't parked within the lines at your local store. It takes very little effort to park a car correctly, but it's becoming a lost art.
But, in my defense, I think they are making the parking spaces narrower.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
...It was obvious that they were not happy with us and they kept pointing at us, and at one point the female of the couple walked by and said "Karma is a [b-word]."...
I think a proper response here might be, "So, Karma, do you always refer to yourself in the third person?"
Old 07-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #180

Those lines in the parking lot are just a suggestion. Parking lots are lawless.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote