Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 68.22%
Yes, first come first serve 20 18.69%
Other... please explain 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Lol. Keep telling yourself you did right but, in my opinion, you simply did not. You are clearly in the wrong. Your poll doesn't describe what you did. Re-poll and ask how many people approve of your actions and I think you will find an extremely low number agree. No matter how much you try to convince others. It's fine. Live how you want to live. It's a minor point. If I encountered someone like you on vacation I would laugh and walk the other way.
Did you notice he said the couple walked out of the hotel and not from the beach? I disagree that he is "clearly in the wrong"...if you are waiting in a long line and someone leaves a pair of shoes at the head of it while they go do other things, is it okay for them to walk to the front of the line, put their shoes on, and then say, I was standing here?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Lol. Keep telling yourself you did right but, in my opinion, you simply did not. You are clearly in the wrong. Your poll doesn't describe what you did. Re-poll and ask how many people approve of your actions and I think you will find an extremely low number agree. No matter how much you try to convince others. It's fine. Live how you want to live. It's a minor point. If I encountered someone like you on vacation I would laugh and walk the other way.
I agree with moving the chair and leaving the "stuff". I have seen people leave towels in the morning and come by in the afternoon to get them, never using the chair. If we are short a chair or two, I watch for the unused ones, and ask the people next to them are using them. If they claim them or say that the people are just down the beach, I move on. Usually the response is "No, I haven't seen anybody use them". That's when I take the chair and move it to where I want to sit. If someone wants to complain, I give an innocent look and tell them it wasn't being used. If they insist that we give the chair(s) back I say not right now. I am 6' 4" and generally considered large, so most people don't mess with me too much!
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Did you notice he said the couple walked out of the hotel and not from the beach? I disagree that he is "clearly in the wrong"...if you are waiting in a long line and someone leaves a pair of shoes at the head of it while they go do other things, is it okay for them to walk to the front of the line, put their shoes on, and then say, I was standing here?

+1000
Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
It's a problem on cruises and all inclusive resorts,too. I've seen people reserve chairs at 7 am and never sit in them till after noon while other people can't find a chair who want to actually use them now. People are generally selfish A-holes.
Anything over 30 minutes is too much. You want to take an hour walk on the beach? Find a chair after you're done.
This. It's yet another fine example of how folks can be so damn selfish. I think if *everyone* took just a LITTLE effort to NOT be *that* guy, this world would be a wonderful place. But, our society is FULL of narcissistic ass clowns so these things happen day in and day out. Don't believe me? Just look how many cars aren't parked within the lines at your local store. It takes very little effort to park a car correctly, but it's becoming a lost art.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Did you notice he said the couple walked out of the hotel and not from the beach?
ivinsfan you are correct. The couple returned to the beach from the hotel side, NOT from the beach, and they told us that they went out "to get a bite to eat." It was obvious that they were dressed as if they left the beach area and left the hotel in their car to go out and get something to eat because there were no restaurants on the property or within immediate walking distance of the property.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Folks saving chairs and then leaving off the beach is wrong.

What OP did, should not be necessary, but was necessary because the hotel didn't.

What would be fun, is to bring 20 towels and claim 20 chairs first thing in the morning then watch all the folks sit on the sand because they are too afraid to move a towel.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
I am 6' 4" and generally considered large, so most people don't mess with me too much!
so am I but I try not to be a bully
Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
so am I but I try not to be a bully
I'm 6'6" and am almost never a bully but I learned long ago that standing up to a bully is the only way to stop them. If I take a chair according to hotel rules and then place my belongs on them then someone comes by and moves my property and takes the chair, that person is being a bully and I will stand up to them. I have let people push me around and/or take advantage of me for too long. I will now stand up for myself every time. The person who moved my property and took my chair(that I took according to hotel rules) will think twice before doing it again. I will get my chair back by any means necessary. The OP needs to watch himself. One day he will touch the wrong persons property. Someone who will actually stand up for themselves and fight back. This is making me mad just typing it. It's hard to believe that someone would touch another persons belongings like the OP did.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm 6'6" and am almost never a bully but I learned long ago that standing up to a bully is the only way to stop them. If I take a chair according to hotel rules and then place my belongs on them then someone comes by and moves my property and takes the chair, that person is being a bully and I will stand up to them. I have let people push me around and/or take advantage of me for too long. I will now stand up for myself every time. The person who moved my property and took my chair(that I took according to hotel rules) will think twice before doing it again. I will get my chair back by any means necessary. The OP needs to watch himself. One day he will touch the wrong persons property. Someone who will actually stand up for themselves and fight back. This is making me mad just typing it. It's hard to believe that someone would touch another persons belongings like the OP did.
calm down - I'm on your side
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #90

BH: I have never thrown a punch, but when an @$$ hat tries to push me around, I generally just stand up and get in their face (only if they are smaller than I am!!). That generally gets them to back down and a conversation to ensue. When they don't back down and it starts to escalate, I generally wrestle until I get on top and use my weight against them!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
How could they be in possession of it if they were not there? I disagree that you can be in possession of a beach chair while you are in your hotel room napping. In this case it is even worse because they were not on the beach or for that matter not even on the hotel property when they went out to "get a bite to eat." We are allowed to have different opinions, that's fine, but I don't think you can make up your own definition of the word "possession."
I completely disagree with what you did. Your problem is not with the people who "claimed" this chair. Your problem is with the hotel for not providing enough chairs for their patrons.

And I bolded the above part of your comment in hope that you see the irony in it because you have formed your own OPINION on what possession is and acted on it.

Cheers!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
calm down - I'm on your side
I don't think your introducing the word bully was on topic....it's pretty inflammatory, just because you disagree with someone doesn't make you a bully...I think most people around here are pretty civilized and can go with the flow.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #93

Quote:
You realize hes talking about people "saving" chairs and then leaving for hours, right? We arent talking taking someones chair in a night club as soon as they get up to dance for a few minutes. These people block all access to the chairs on purpose knowing full well they wont be using the chairs for hours. That's much more rude than anything that OP did.

The chair savers are "chair bullys". The only way to stop a bully is to beat him at his game and in this case, that's by dumping his belongings on the ground and taking the chair that he wasnt using in the first place. A beach chair is not a towel rack. If more people dumped belongings on the ground, the new normal would be for people to say "we better not leave our stuff on that chair and go back to bed for 4 more hours or our stuff might be gone when we get back"...instead of "lets get up at 6am, save some chairs so nobody can use them all morning because we are more important than everyone else here"
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The chair savers are "chair bullys". The only way to stop a bully is to beat him at his game and in this case, that's by dumping his belongings on the ground and taking the chair that he wasnt using in the first place. A beach chair is not a towel rack.
Wow, just...WOW! If you seriously think dumping someones property in the sand is justified then you have a problem.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #95

Quote:
That's funny because we see this from completely different sides...I think the person who left their stuff on the beach chair for hours and then left the property is the bully, not me... they are a "beach chair bully." They have no right to "save" a chair that they are not using and then leave for hours, and I consider myself to be standing up to THEIR bullying, and I will stand up for myself as well. I suppose if I did that to you neither of us would back down and we would find out who is the stronger man.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Gimme a sack of popcorn and a beer.

I'm gonna watch 2 grown men beat each other to a pulp over a lawn chair -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Please let us know what resort everyone will be fighting at and when so we can avoid the pool during those times.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Please let us know what resort everyone will be fighting at and when so we can avoid the pool during those times.
We will be at the beach, not the pool.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Gimme a sack of popcorn and a beer.

I'm gonna watch 2 grown men beat each other to a pulp over a lawn chair -
don't get cheap on me

how about a sack of expensive nuts and a nice cocktail?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

This stuff and property you gentlemen are getting so worked up over, is usually at most a towel, maybe a beach bag with a magazine or a bottle of water in it..simply meant to be a chair holder object...now if you walk by a chair and see sandals, books, sunscreen, snacks, a hat or 2, then someone is actually using the chair.

How is a towel, that is owned by the resort, someone's property any more then the chair is their property? You take a towel owned by the resort, put it on a chair owned by the resort and that entitles you sitting rights on the chair all day, even if you are nowhere near the chair?