Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
The bike was a Mercier with Reynolds 531 tubing and Campagnolo hubs. It had sat in our basement for 30 years and my DH had cannibalized it for parts so I was selling it with no chain, no rear derailleur, missing cables and a tire that didn't hold air. DH had cut off the rear derailleur hangar for a failed modification and never went back to it. It was in sorry shape. DH didn't want to deal with it, it was kind of a sore subject so he said if I sold it the money was mine.
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I sold it for $90 to a young man opening a bike shop and bike co-op in a nearby college town.Crooked River Recyclery | Facebook He knows French bikes and likes to find Reynolds 531 frames. He's also been to a bike building school and was not bothered by the missing hangar, he knows how to braze a new one.

I was glad to get any cash out of something sitting in my basement for decades but mostly I was thrilled that the bike was getting a better life with someone who would appreciate it.

Maybe $90 wasn't much for one of these. I wasn't going to put any money into it to make it more attractive. Honestly, if this buyer had hesitated I would have given it to him for free just to get the space back in my basement.
I have two of these Reynolds 531 frames, with assorted and partial add-ons, and 2 Ideale seats. I think I will advertise them also. $90 each wouldld please me.

I have no plans to ever ride a bike on the road again, after seeing what an inattentive driver was able to do to me while in a good car, I hate to even imagine the possibilities on a bike.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

After we had an offer on our house we had a huge garage sale (husband & I had a list with prices so it only took a week to prep the garage). We advertised the sale on Craigslist with photos and also listed a couple more expensive items in the For Sale section of Craigslist. Because we lived at the extreme end of the Island I feared our efforts would be wasted.

Responders to the latter effort included a foreign physician and his wife who just purchased a house, and a returning missionary family. They not only purchased speciality items they got a good start furnishing their homes from our garage sale stuff. We netted enough $$ to hire movers to load the truck for our move.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
I have two of these Reynolds 531 frames, with assorted and partial add-ons, and 2 Ideale seats. I think I will advertise them also. $90 each wouldld please me.

I have no plans to ever ride a bike on the road again, after seeing what an inattentive driver was able to do to me while in a good car, I hate to even imagine the possibilities on a bike.

Ha
You might want to start a little higher than $90 if you are in a big biking community. I'm in northeast Ohio which has a limited biking season. I just don't think of this as an area with a large interest in vintage bikes.

It's easy to change your Craiglist ad if you want to change the price. I started at $135 and dropped it a few times. The bike was in a sad, neglected, incomplete state.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
You might want to start a little higher than $90 if you are in a big biking community.
Thanks for the suggestion. Seattle has more bike shops than liquor stores, and our current mayor is on a tear to create bike lanes everywhere.

Ha
Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

My experience with FreeCycle has been mixed. We used to live on Bainbridge Island where FreeCycle works well because of the relatively low population. I obtained all my moving supplies using that resource.

Now we live in Portland. I looked at it early on and it seemed much more difficult to utilize because of scale.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have bought and sold many items on craigslist with great success, including nice furniture. However as I have recently become aware through various online postings, there is a risk of bedbugs, which apparently can hide by the multitudes in furniture and maybe other objects, and not only beds. I hope my fears are overblown, but I am rethinking the whole craigslist/used route of acquisition. At the very least, and although it is no guarantee, I would recommend sticking strictly to higher end venues. As this is what I have always done anyway, maybe that is why I have never brought any bugs home--and I don't want to start now (shudder). Sorry if this is unnecessary fear-mongering--I don't mean to put a damper on CL or the recycling of objects, which has served me well. But it has become a real concern.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckeverlasting View Post
At the very least, and although it is no guarantee, I would recommend sticking strictly to higher end venues.
I hear bedbugs are an equal opportunity insect and don't discriminate based on end height.

I'd suggest staying away from any upholstered furniture just to be safe...although we did recently buy two very nice leather recliners for our RV off C-List. I figure sitting for a few weeks in the closed trailer during what passes for "Spring" in these part would do them in if we did accidentally import a few hitchhikers. Interior temps have been topping 115 the last few weeks.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckeverlasting View Post
... there is a risk of bedbugs, which apparently can hide by the multitudes in furniture and maybe other objects, and not only beds. I hope my fears are overblown, but I am rethinking the whole craigslist/used route of acquisition.
I think your fear of bedbugs may be overblown. Many people never know they have them (we certainly didn't) until the population grows bloated large enough to leave signs.

Some Raid pesticide, a couple loads of laundry, occasional vigilance during the next few weeks, and no more bedbugs.

As far as we can tell!

I think centipedes and mosquitoes are far nastier than bedbugs. Yet you don't see any websites maintaining hotel databases of those infestations...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Ask the $100 seller if he wants to buy another one for $50 or so. He can potentially make $50 and you make $25.
Problem was that I needed the phone. Granted it was listed for $149 new but hey the market sets the value!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've bought lots of hi-fi loudspeakers on CL. Loudspeakers don't often break (unlike electronic gear), and sellers often seem not to know what they're worth. Most recently, I paid $600 for a set of Axiom speakers that would have been $3300 new.